Someone "removed" our dog's leash from the tree where we han

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Someone "removed" our dog's leash from the tree where we han

Postby Rosie » Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 am

Hey guys,

On Wednesday Erick was out in Welsford and as usual, hung our dog's red leash in a tree before the bridge on the way in. When he came out at the end of the day, it had been "removed". To whoever took it, this is NOT COOL. There were cars parked down by the fence, and Emma had been barking during the day - so it should have been pretty obvious that it belongs to someone and isn't up for grabs. We don't care who took it, we just want it back. So please just put it back in the sign in box next time you get out.

Thanks,

Rosie & Erick
Rosie

Re: Someone "removed" our dog's leash from the tree where we han

Postby chossmonkey » Fri May 15, 2009 5:42 pm

I'd like to run so many ways with this, but I've probably said way to much as it is.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby *Chris* » Fri May 15, 2009 7:42 pm

chossmonkey wrote:I'd like to run so many ways with this, but I've probably said way to much as it is.
Yep... you probably have.

Rosie, Asia has a spare which you are welcome to grab!
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 pm

*Chris* wrote:
Rosie, Asia has a spare which you are welcome to grab!

You obviously don't leave yours hanging around in trees.

Perhaps you even have the audacity to leave it attached to, gasp...

your dogs collar all day long? :shock:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Matt Peck » Sun May 17, 2009 8:41 pm

I know a bunch of people have had their stuff taken from the base of the field where they've left it. I think a couple bad-egg local non-climbers have taken up a five-finger approach to gear left there that they find on walks. A family made off with a pair of John Corey's snowshoes last year, and there have been a couple of other instances. Im not sure if this is done maliciously, but we have to keep in mind that other people use the welsford cliffs and that they might not be so curteous, or so informed as the rest of the climbing community. I don't like carrying excess up into the craig either, but perhaps stashing it out of sight is the best idea.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Nihoa » Mon May 18, 2009 10:33 am

hopefully this a case of someone thinking it was forgotten although taking it wouldnt make the situation any better. pretty lame if it was a snatch.

on a side note, audacity is perfectly defined by someone in ontario telling people in nb to put their dogs on leashes. way to win the award for irony.
Nihoa

Postby Burley » Mon May 18, 2009 11:11 am

Nihoa wrote:hopefully this a case of someone thinking it was forgotten although taking it wouldnt make the situation any better. pretty lame if it was a snatch.

on a side note, audacity is perfectly defined by someone in ontario telling people in nb to put their dogs on leashes. way to win the award for irony.

I couldn't find a polite way to resond to Choss's comment... so for the above obersvation I thank you Mark.
Burley

Postby chossmonkey » Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Burley wrote:
Nihoa wrote:hopefully this a case of someone thinking it was forgotten although taking it wouldnt make the situation any better. pretty lame if it was a snatch.

I couldn't find a polite way to resond to Choss's comment... so for the above obersvation I thank you Mark.
Yeah..

Sure told me.

I guess it is a bit like someone in NB complaining about something someone from NS did while in NFLD?
chossmonkey

Postby Nihoa » Mon May 18, 2009 8:00 pm

no, it isnt like that at all. i know the climbers in ns cus i climb there with them. i didnt mouth off at someone i didnt know about a place i dont climb.

when i was AT welsford on sat i met up with rosie and her lil doggie. she was cute and well behaved and it seems the only one with a problem is 1,000km away.

i hear they are debating in squamish about whether its cooler to climb in jeans or knickers, you should get an opinion in on that asap.
Nihoa

Postby *Chris* » Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Nihoa wrote:no, it isnt like that at all. i know the climbers in ns cus i climb there with them. i didnt mouth off at someone i didnt know about a place i dont climb.

when i was AT welsford on sat i met up with rosie and her lil doggie. she was cute and well behaved and it seems the only one with a problem is 1,000km away.

i hear they are debating in squamish about whether its cooler to climb in jeans or knickers, you should get an opinion in on that asap.
Who? Rosie or the dog?
*Chris*

Postby Nihoa » Mon May 18, 2009 8:42 pm

hahah, i was thinking that when i wrote it. i was gonna specify that i was talking about the dog but then it sounded like i was saying rosie was rude and looking rough!
Nihoa

Postby chossmonkey » Tue May 19, 2009 6:30 am

Nihoa wrote:no, it isnt like that at all. i know the climbers in ns cus i climb there with them. i didnt mouth off at someone i didnt know about a place i dont climb.

Its exactly the same. If you climb and hang out with those guys you shouldn't have trouble with their eating habits while on the road.

I'm sure other than for barking all day long to let people know there was a dog at the crag so someone shouldn't take the leash, she was very well behaved.

Climbing in jeans or knickers is a moot point as they are both equally lame. :roll:
chossmonkey

Postby Rosie » Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 am

Nihoa wrote:rosie was rude and looking rough!

Lol that sounds about right!! :) At least on Saturdays!
Rosie

Postby Shawn B » Tue May 19, 2009 8:36 am

chossmonkey wrote:Its exactly the same. If you climb and hang out with those guys you shouldn't have trouble with their eating habits while on the road.

I'm sure other than for barking all day long to let people know there was a dog at the crag so someone shouldn't take the leash, she was very well behaved.

Climbing in jeans or knickers is a moot point as they are both equally lame. :roll:

Ya just don't get it...do ya????

On a lighter and more positive note....I'm glad to hear Rosie was nude in Welsford the other day. I'm all for it. :wink:
:wink:
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Nihoa » Tue May 19, 2009 8:47 am

chossmonkey wrote:
Its exactly the same. If you climb and hang out with those guys you shouldn't have trouble with their eating habits while on the road.

that makes zero sense, just cus i know them doesnt mean i cant disagree with them. it is not the same because:

a) i had met and knew the person i was mouthing off at
b) there was a 100% chance of me seeing that person again, either in nb or ns, and i would be eventually have to face the music for what i wrote

have you met any of the people you get snarky with on here? i hear someday you might climb nb again and you must be super excited to meet all the friends you have made here on the forum. im willing to bet welsford will be lined up for choss hugs.

this thread is about rosie and burley missing a piece of their property and i think its retarded that a moderator came into it picking a fight about a situation you arent involved in. aside from the hello bark, you would never have known rosies dog was there. we dont have a problem with it, the people that actually live it and we dont care if you do.

and your second sentence is only technically english.
Nihoa

Postby martha » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 am

K guys, Back off of choss. His wife is a Nova Scotian and was/is an active member in the community there. They now live in Onerrible for a number of reasons.... but are still part of the community. they have climbed in Welsford and they do know climbers here... Me and Fred for two.... not to mention they both do a ton of work on the forum for us.

Seems that we all like to tease...but don't like to be teased? If you took things as lightly from Choss as you do from those you know you'd see that he doesn't mean anything different than the rest...he just teases harder.... kinda like me.

It sucks that Emma's leash went missing. whoever took it should be beaten and then leashed in the middle of the farmers field for all to see.
She is a well behaved dog.....and me being the dog 'lover' that i am would have been the first to ask her to go back on the leash, but she was a charmer and even Marie-France got along with her by the end of the day.

As for Rosie's nude climbing... yeah... it was awesome, but I'm so glad she didn't climb anything that required stemming as her chalk bag is too small to keep things decent.

Cheers.

C
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 am

Playing devil's advocate here but... If I had seen a leash hanging in a tree I might have picked it up as well thinking it was 'lost'. I may have assumed someone dropped it on the trail and the next passer-by hung it in sight. You see a lot of this at crags with sunglasses and shirts hung in trees. I'm sure no one was 'eyeing' it wanting to steal it.

On a side note... You guys have too much gear in your bags if you can't carry the leash up the hill. :)

Peace.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 am

hmm... i just posted but it disappeared :(

basically i was saying that most of us have never met Choss and so we're not willing to take flack from someone we don't know. Choss you have as much right to comment on things on here as us locals do, but just show some tact, and if you appear to have pissed some people off then just take a step back and maybe remember that you don't really know us in person and that perhaps you should even *gasp* retract your statements! :P

You might as well come down here and piss us off in person so at least we've gotten past that and you can continue to piss us off on the forum lol.

peace.
Adam

Postby Rosie » Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Back to the original topic, to the person who took the leash, *AND* to those who are insisting that my puppy be leashed at all times, see how sad you're making her?
DSC_0088small.JPG

awwwwww :)
Rosie

Postby Burley » Tue May 19, 2009 1:56 pm

If anyone finds gear or something else in Welsford I would hope they would post it on here and/or put it in the sign in box or even hang it in a tree.

So here it is if it was you - put it in the sign in box please.

Leash was not right out in sight - was wrapped around a branch a few times. It would have been clear it didn't get caught in the tree 6 feet off the trail, fold it self up and wrap itself around the branch. Plus at some point the person that took it would have said to themselves "I wonder where that dog is that is barking at me from up yonder.... Oh look a free leash." If you can't put those two things together then you are an idiot and need to remove yourself from the gene pool.

Keep in mind I'm usually alone in Welsford and see no one during the week days.

If anyone wants to think I'm too lazy to carry a leash should come carry my gear in for me - 50 lbs of aid rack, hammer, bolt bag, two ropes, and a liter of water. I don't carry a pack - what I carry won't fit in a pack I own. I leave (or was leaving) her leash there in that tree as that is where I put her on and take her off leash.

This is simple - it was a freaking dog leash and someone felt the need to take it!

People that steal from puppies are douche bags.

If I see this leash and you see me I suggest you make the correct choices over seconds that follow or get some serious wind under your feet.

Chances are you know that I know who you are... don't you.
Burley

Postby granite_grrl » Tue May 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Another thought of playing devil's advocate:

I have removed bright coloured webbing and slings that I have either laying in the trail or forgotten in a tree. I don't want the locals and the hikers to get irritated at climbers leaving their "garbage" laying around, spoiling their enjoyment of the area. Instead of getting pissed and attacking someone for taking a 5g leash that you couldn't take up the hill, maybe give the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully someone will come forward with the leash (if you haven't already scared them away), but if not you can buy a new one and learn your leassons form this. It sounds like you shouldn't leave stuff at the trail head and expect it to be there when you get back. If you refuse to haul it up the hill, at least stash it so it's out of sight.
granite_grrl

Postby Adam » Tue May 19, 2009 3:13 pm

granite_grrl wrote:...leaving their "garbage" laying around, spoiling their enjoyment of the area....

it wasn't garbage, and this isn't ontario where people normally steal stuff. if i saw a leash in a tree along that trail, wrapped around a branch, i would leave it there for the owner to come back and retrieve it. either they put it there and will be back, or someone found it on the trail and put it there for the owner to come back for it.

whoever took it knew they found something that was not theirs. whether they intended to try to return it to the owner is to be seen... but they took a whole week and still didn't post on the forum here so maybe they forgot, or maybe they are a thief who had no intention of returning it.
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Tue May 19, 2009 3:14 pm

It appears as if the established local ethic is contrary to your garbage hypothesis:

1. One can tape a route near Joint Venture for weeks without cleanup.
2. A group can leave rap station signage at Exfoliated for like 6 months.
3. Flagging appears on well beaten trails to the Cave and Waterfall Wall for quite literally years.

Yep... I think someone could stand the sight of a leash wrapped in a tree for a few hours given our track record.

p.s. this thread is pure gold.
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm

trad_reborn wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:...leaving their "garbage" laying around, spoiling their enjoyment of the area....

it wasn't garbage, and this isn't ontario where people normally steal stuff. if i saw a leash in a tree along that trail, wrapped around a branch, i would leave it there for the owner to come back and retrieve it. either they put it there and will be back, or someone found it on the trail and put it there for the owner to come back for it.

whoever took it knew they found something that was not theirs. whether they intended to try to return it to the owner is to be seen... but they took a whole week and still didn't post on the forum here so maybe they forgot, or maybe they are a thief who had no intention of returning it.

Le sigh.

I'm not saying I would remove it either, but to give people the benefit of the doubt. And I don't follow your train of thought on how people steal in Ontario but not in NB. People are people, John Corey's snowshoes got stolen last year....and it wasn't even in Ontario!!! Be smart about this stuff people, there are a lot of jerks out there and there are simple things you can do to protect yourself. Getting a leash stolen was a cheap lesson.

Anyway, I'm seeing a lot of attacks and anger in this thread and it can be intimidating. Honestly, if I had taken the leash and wanted to try to return it to the owner I would not do it after seeing this thread and the attacks that have been made. I'm asking people to chill out, stop all the anger, get the chip off your shoulder. Nothing productive is going to come of it.
granite_grrl

Postby Adam » Tue May 19, 2009 4:58 pm

granite_grrl wrote:I'm not saying I would remove it either, but to give people the benefit of the doubt. And I don't follow your train of thought on how people steal in Ontario but not in NB.

i'd be willing to bet there is more theft in ontario than new brunswick but i very well could be wrong about that. i didn't say people DON'T steal in NB, but rather that it is unexpected rather than expected (hence why people here leave their cars unlocked and even running while they run into the store etc)

if someone did take that leash and was planning on returning it there's no reason they should'nt still... the unrest seemed more directed at choss lol, not the so called 'thief'...

gold jerry, gold.
Adam

Postby Fred » Tue May 19, 2009 6:31 pm

trad_reborn wrote:hmm... i just posted but it disappeared :(

I just checked the logs and there were no deleted posts. Did you perhaps hit preview and forget to hit submit?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm still racking my brain over this one. I just can't picture someone seeing the leash, wanting the leash, and then stealing the leash. It just seems unlikely. Rather than a malicious act, I think it's way more likely that someone was doing what they thought was a good deed to nature at the time, picking-up stuff left behind. If the 'robber' hasn't fessed-up yet, maybe they are a hiker who don't even know about this forum.

Innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Tue May 19, 2009 8:29 pm

trad_reborn wrote:basically i was saying that most of us have never met Choss and so we're not willing to take flack from someone we don't know.
Heh..

As someone who stirs the pot themselves, you hardly have a leg to stand on. And we have met.

The truth is, I point out the obvious and you guys all get your panties in a bunch. Like it or not it is a public forum.
chossmonkey

Postby Burley » Tue May 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Ok, I'm off to NY...

Fred,
I was talking to someone the day the leash went missing before it went missing. This person was in there hiking (a climber) and I was waiting to here if it was he or she that picked it up for whatever reason. Then all of this madness ensued.

Not sure who or why, but it was taken. I feel that anyone with a reasonable amount of common sense would have either put it in the sign in box or left it where it was and said to themselves "if this is still here next time I'm here I'll remove it as it is probably trash now". The leash was clean and dry. It isn't the leash being gone that gets me it is the act and lack of thought that gets me.

If it is returned it is all good for sure. If someone tells me they tossed it as they thought it was trash I'll be upset, but I'll get over it… forgive and forget. If I see it in use the outcome will be different... thems is just da facts. Not the value it is the principle.
Burley

Postby SamKay » Tue May 19, 2009 9:05 pm

I took it, wotcha goin to do about it?
kayla.jpg
kayla.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Woof, woof, bark...
SamKay

Next

Return to New Brunswick