Hampton Marsh

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Hampton Marsh

Postby GKelly » Sun May 24, 2009 8:14 pm

I was investigating the scene at hampton today. I rapped from 2 medium diameter oak trees approximately 30ft right of well used (appears to be at the top anyway) lines on the main wall. It is just left of where the cliff splits leaving a really narrow gully. I played around on a few lines that looked like they could be really fun given a good cleaning. Is anyone familiar with the area? Has there been interest there in the past? Would I be waisting my time cleaning?
GKelly

Re: Hampton Marsh

Postby Joe » Mon May 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Which wall are you looking at, the main wall on the road, or the upper wall about 300m up and left of the roadside wall? Either way, I've top roped both faces, and both are good. I am planning on bolting 1 or 2 lines right up the center of the roadside wall, an old TR route I called Wise Ways, 5.10a. I may also bolt a line just left of center, a TR called Tang, 5.11b. Now, if I can just get that drill from PJ!
Joe

Postby Stacey » Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Joe wrote:Which wall are you looking at, the main wall on the road, or the upper wall about 300m up and left of the roadside wall? Either way, I've top roped both faces, and both are good. I am planning on bolting 1 or 2 lines right up the center of the roadside wall, an old TR route I called Wise Ways, 5.10a. I may also bolt a line just left of center, a TR called Tang, 5.11b. Now, if I can just get that drill from PJ!

Joe - that would be great! we're also going to bolt the unnamed 5.8 to the right of Lunchbox...that is a sweet climb - will be great once it's all re-cleaned, and bolted up. Lots of great climbing to be had at Hampton Marsh...

Stacey

PS - Did the Moncton boys retrieve their fixed lines? Greg & I didn't go by there this weekend on our way home...did they get their new routes bolted?
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby PeterA » Mon May 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Joe wrote: Now, if I can just get that drill from PJ!

first, you must answer me these questions three :wink:

-PJ
PeterA

Postby GKelly » Mon May 25, 2009 9:35 pm

I am referring to the wall up the hill to the left of the the roadside wall. Where the trail meets the wall you head right. There was no sign of any climbing in the area I'm speaking of. It would suck to TR from the trees above because there is a really gentle sloap from the trees to where it goes vertical. Also some may have deemed the trees unsuitable. It would definatly require bolts where it drops vertically. Would it be ok if I stick some bolts in? I'm familiar with bolting ethics just not land owner issues and such (new to the area).
GKelly

Postby Joe » Tue May 26, 2009 8:09 am

Yeah, that upper wall is good. I lead up the only crack up there - Dark Wing Corner 5.8, and TRed lines both to the right and left of that route, but have no intention of bolting them. I'm very glad you're willing to develop that wall. Have at 'er!

Stacey, there hasn't been any development on that blank overhanging wall yet. Boy, that'll be hard climbing! We worked that overhanging route left of Ranger - I'll bolt that this week.

PJ, I'll be knocking on your door tonight at suppertime. Can I borrow the drill???
Joe

Postby PeterA » Tue May 26, 2009 3:08 pm

yeah sure, just make sure you catch us before 630, otherwise we'll be at the wall

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Pierre » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 am

Does anyone know the grade or name of the climb left of Ranger?

Is Raptor Arete bolting job finished? It looked to me like it was bolted recently but was missing a few Hangers.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby Greg » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Pierre wrote:Does anyone know the grade or name of the climb left of Ranger?

Is Raptor Arete bolting job finished? It looked to me like it was bolted recently but was missing a few Hangers.

Pierre

I will be putting the two missing hangers on it Wednesday evening.
Greg

Postby Pierre » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm

It's great to see a little bit more development at Hampton.

Next time I'm up there I'll be sure to get on Raptors Arete.
Pierre

Postby Adam » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

those routes better be clean! lol

mwahahaha
Adam

Postby Greg » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:29 pm

trad_reborn wrote:those routes better be clean! lol

mwahahaha

No worries....unlike NS, moss grows at a snails pace here in NB :lol: :lol:
Greg

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Does anyone know the grade or name of the climb left of Ranger?

Tentatively called Nemo - 5.10a if you use the holds right of the bolts, or 5.10c if you stay left of the bolts, and tackle the big overhang (the intended route).
Joe

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Pierre wrote:It's great to see a little bit more development at Hampton.

Next time I'm up there I'll be sure to get on Raptors Arete.

It's all done now. 8 bolts with hangers :wink:
Greg

Postby Stacey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Joe wrote:
Tentatively called Nemo - 5.10a if you use the holds right of the bolts, or 5.10c if you stay left of the bolts, and tackle the big overhang (the intended route).

Climbed this last night Joe - what a fun route - just wish it were longer ;-)

Stace

PS. The 'fixed' line is still up on the wall to the left of Full Moon Arete...anyone know the deal - - it's been there for weeks.....
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby allen_411 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Can someone briefly tell me how to get to the climbing in Hampton. I'm from Quispam, and should be able to understand some pretty basic directions. Thanks. Sounds like a good time out there.

Thanks

Allen
allen_411

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:34 am

Pretty easy... drive through Hampton along Main St, cross the bridge over Kennebecasis River to Kredles Market, take a left towards Kingston Penninsula, and drive straight for about 9 km (do not turn right at the 2 intersections). The last 2 km are dirt road, and then you'll see a big chunk of rock with shiny metal thingys sticking out of it, right at roadside. Have at 'er.
Joe

Return to New Brunswick