Pink Panther direct start bolts?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Pink Panther direct start bolts?

Postby Peabody » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Wondering what the consensus is on putting a bolt or two on the manky direct start to Pink Panther, below the halfway belay. yeah, it goes as is, but I was thinking a bolt to protect the R-ish part might make it more widely enjoyed. Will give it a scrub when I get a chance sometime soon anyway. I bet this will start a fight of some kind on here because that's what always seems to happen no matter what's posted. I just want to know people's brief thoughts and won't act unless most think it's a good addition.
Peabody

Re: Pink Panther direct start bolts?

Postby martha » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:19 am

Dave, I hope you've got your oil gear on.. cause the flower is gonna start flying!

LOL

I vote no in any case, as if you want a more protected start to that route, there is one already.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:00 am

I agree Dave that it would be nice to have a better start to PP so it can all be done in one pitch. I think you probably have a hard sell to bolt the original PP direct line. If you do want to, the appropriate thing to do would be to contact the original FA and ask their permission. If they agree, then go for it. Keep in mind that minkey is a very traditional area and it shouldn't be a sport climb. Another thing to keep in mind too is that the climbing on pp direct is really not that good. There is a line in between pp direct and way life should be that has better climbing and I don't believe its been established as a route (tr'd many times though). It would need a couple of bolts to be non r rated and a good scrub. I think it would be a great direct line to pp. Been wanting to do it myself but just haven't found the time. Starts 5-8 feet left of wlsb and finishes in the middle of the pp belay ledge. Prob 7ish.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Adam » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:16 pm

i think one or two well placed bolts would improve the start to this stellar route.

who has the FA?
Adam

Postby Stef » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:49 pm

I'll cast my vote against adding a bolt. I think of Pink Pather as a "graduation" climb into some of the harder trad stuff at Welsford. It is not ridiculously hard or dangerous, but you do have to step-up the commitment a little from the enjoyable moderates in the 5.6-5.8 range. Pink Panther is a line to be proud of when you tick it for the first time. I think a bolt would detract from that experience.

There are also a lot of other really nice, well bolted sport and mixed lines at that grade in Welsford and Sunnyside for people to enjoy. Leave a few bolder ones for those that want to test themselves a litte.
Stef

Postby JonA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:27 pm

I think we should fix a ladder up to the ledge. Avoid all that silly rock climbing.
I just want to climb.
JonA

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:58 pm

As much as I like bolts, I don't think PP is the place for them. I've led the direct start sans problem and it was a great route with just the right amount of spice.

If we ad a bolt here, what's next? Wheeping traverse? Rockstar mid-section runout? Cheekbone Corner?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 am

Stef wrote:Pink Panther is a line to be proud of when you tick it for the first time. I think a bolt would detract from that experience.

I agree that it is something to work up to... but when I've led it I found the bottom section to be sketchy - dirty, no gear, and no positive holds etc. the part that really challenges you is well protected, and far up off the deck. the sketchy part is near the ground and is not well protected. a bolt would help make the sketchy part safe, and let people get up into the business where you really can test yourself. i don't think a bolt down low would detract from the fun up high.
Adam

Postby john » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15 am

I vote no, its 5.6 climbing on a 5.10 trad climb, if better pro is wanted the right hand traversing version is G and about 5.7
john

Postby motanb » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:00 pm

I say 'no' too. John B. is right: use the start to the right which can be safely protected. When the day comes you want to try a spicy direct start (5.6) give it;-)
Thomas

"When you get to the top.... Keep climbing"

~ JaphyRyder
motanb

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 pm

too many bolts make me feel sketchy on easy runouts lol. i remember a 5.9 in red rocks that had like 16 bolts in 100'. by the time i got to the top i was only 2' runout but it felt like much further heh.
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:17 pm

I also find myself voting 'no' given the specifics of the route in question. It's one I'm going to have in my sights soon enough. If you really want to pound some worthwhile bolts into Minkey I suggest adding rap anchors in order to retire some very fatigued spruces atop the nearby trade routes.

I can get behind the idea of routes being spicey... but anchors should be bomber!
*Chris*

Postby STeveA » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:36 pm

I am pretty certain the direct start is one of my routes, and I vote NO.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Peabody » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:37 pm

OK, Roger that. Will leave that one alone. But I will throw a few bolts on Warm and Sultry. It will be way better once we don't have to carry cams up it.
Peabody

Postby Adam » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Code: Select all
G R I D B O L T
B O L T G R I D
G R I D B O L T
B O L T G R I D
G R I D B O L T
B O L T G R I D
G R I D B O L T
B O L T G R I D