New Bouldering at Cape Spencer

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

New Bouldering at Cape Spencer

Postby cory » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:56 pm

It happened. I'm not sure when, but I would guess it was in the early spring. The cliff above Ben's Beach, at Cape Spencer fell down. Yep, about 2/3 of the cliff is now stacked on the shore in large blocks.

For those who know the area, I'm talking about the far West end, beyond "What the phoque?", and "I know how the pyramids were built" that was previously accessible via a trail through the woods and down a dangerously loose 70+ degree slope. The trail is gone. A slightly less dangerous gully can be used to access the area now. Most of the established lines are gone and buried. There is potential for new problems with a mix of good and bad landings.

Also, the base of "...pyramids..." was not filled in with large blocks during any of the winter storms (for once) :) but some blocks on the slope above came down (along with a rusted out VW!). The largest of these is just close enough to the problem to make the topout a bit of a squeeze. And it's a bit too big for me to move it out of the way :( .
cory

Return to New Brunswick