Welsford

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Welsford

Postby john » Tue May 10, 2005 9:35 am

I have been recieving requests for an update regarding the Welsford Access situation. When I last posted I promised to give an update as soon as I recieved official word from the Base. This was supposed to be in the form of a letter essentially out lining CFB Gagetowns current stance on the use of the Cochrane Lane cliffs. Before this letter arrived a Proposal was submitted to the Base Commander out lining the UNB Rock and Ice clubs, history of use, benefits and other materail. The proposals purpose was to secure a mutually beneficial civilian-military land use agreement. I have recieved confirmation of the proposals arrival at the Base. I am under the understanding that the Base Commander is reviewing the proposal and preparing a response. The response may take some time to make its way through the "system" and to us (particularly if documentation needs to be implemented to allow use). At this point patience is required. I assure you nothing is being kept from the public. There has been no officail word recieved in writing as of today. That being said I have recieved only positive feedback regarding this issue, and I am quite sure an agreement will be reached in time. Correspondance through this forum regarding this issue is not the best method of communication, so soon the UNB Rock and Ice club webpage will be revamped and updated and it will contain a link to online files where I will post news regarding Welsford Access (the UNB R&I web address will be posted here once it is revamped). Once a response is recieved from the Base it will be posted on the UNB R&I site. If issues prevent the website from being updated before the letters arrival than I will make sure to post the response it here.

Once again I assure everyone, everything has been done to deal with this issue in a timely, appropriate manner and work continues to be done.
Again any inquiries are welcome at the email or phone numbers beow.

Thanks,

John Bowles
j5j47@unb.ca
457-4112 h
452-6128 w
john

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu May 12, 2005 10:01 pm

I posted this one before, but perhaps I will try again, as it's a legitimate question that deserves an answer:

Correspondance through this forum regarding this issue is not the best method of communication

Why is that? Could you please explain? Why use a site that no one uses (the UNB site) versus a site that lots of people use, that requires no "revamping"?

Mitch
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Andrew » Fri May 13, 2005 7:39 am

It's true. The UNB/F climbing site is a little outdated. Not much changes (kinda like my website) and the information's not to usefull. You never really know if the climbing schedule is uptodate, etc.

This forum would be the first place people look, not the unb site.

My 2c
mitchleblanc wrote:I posted this one before, but perhaps I will try again, as it's a legitimate question that deserves an answer:

Correspondance through this forum regarding this issue is not the best method of communication

Why is that? Could you please explain? Why use a site that no one uses (the UNB site) versus a site that lots of people use, that requires no "revamping"?

Mitch
Andrew

Postby Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 8:20 pm

i agree... i haven't checked unb site in over a year...

Mitch

Postby john » Thu May 19, 2005 2:36 pm

Good question, I have a couple reasons for using the UNB site

1) I was advised that UNB fully supports the R&I Club with respect to the issue of access. To make it easier to use the UNB Affiliation to our advantage, it is necessary to maintain correspondance through a UNB affiliated site (as far as record keeping).

2) Also, I have a control over any content on the UNB site to make sure only legitament information is posted in an officail way, which in the case of later doubt as to waht was said by me (as the club President), may prove useful.

3) The forum is a good place to place comments regarding the issue, but to maintain UNB support I should be using UNB media.

4) I have no control, nor do I think I should (conflict of interest), as to what is said and or moderated here, but I can make sure legit info remains permanantly on the UNB site for record keeping.

5) The UNB site will be better run in the future and all the info will still be available for discussion here, I only meant any officail letters from the Base (or any correspondace) and or Club policies should, and will be posted on the club site.

John Bowles
john

Re: Mitch

Postby Andrew » Thu May 19, 2005 9:21 pm

JOhn, I didn't know you were the UNB Club Prez. I thought Matt Peck was? Anyhow... that all makes sense. I'm sure you'll post a note here with a link to the info you've posted on the UNB website for those who don't check it often.

Thanks for all the work you're doing regarding this issue. I'm sure we all greatly appreciate it.

john wrote:Good question, I have a couple reasons for using the UNB site

1) I was advised that UNB fully supports the R&I Club with respect to the issue of access. To make it easier to use the UNB Affiliation to our advantage, it is necessary to maintain correspondance through a UNB affiliated site (as far as record keeping).

2) Also, I have a control over any content on the UNB site to make sure only legitament information is posted in an officail way, which in the case of later doubt as to waht was said by me (as the club President), may prove useful.

3) The forum is a good place to place comments regarding the issue, but to maintain UNB support I should be using UNB media.

4) I have no control, nor do I think I should (conflict of interest), as to what is said and or moderated here, but I can make sure legit info remains permanantly on the UNB site for record keeping.

5) The UNB site will be better run in the future and all the info will still be available for discussion here, I only meant any officail letters from the Base (or any correspondace) and or Club policies should, and will be posted on the club site.

John Bowles
Andrew

Postby martha » Fri May 20, 2005 8:05 am

Andrew wrote:JOhn, I didn't know you were the UNB Club Prez. I thought Matt Peck was?

Andrew,

the rock and Ice club holds elections every April. Matt's term finished at that time. :)

Cheers.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mitchleblanc » Fri May 20, 2005 11:50 am

john wrote:5) The UNB site will be better run in the future and all the info will still be available for discussion here, I only meant any officail letters from the Base (or any correspondace) and or Club policies should, and will be posted on the club site.

That's funny, because all the info so far has been "don't discuss the topic" and "we're waiting for the official response from the base".. nothing else has been posted, really.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Return to New Brunswick