Sleeping beauty 5.10c

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Sleeping beauty 5.10c

Postby Dom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:07 am

Sleeping beauty 5.10c
So what's the deal?? The top has absolutely no holds....
Beta anyone? high step on nothing, while sidepulling nothing??
maybe because I'm 5'9 I can't reach?? hmm the bottom crux felt 5.10c... the top?? oufff This is where climbing overhanging limestone does no good to ya!

As for Drytoolers will be prosecuted 5.10c do you move left at the crux to grab the holds on Up rope 5.10a or you go straight up on nothing AGAIN? ouff these 5.10c sport routes at Cochrane Lane will make you think...hehe
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: Sleeping beauty 5.10c

Postby Jon Corey » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 am

dry toolers. high step right foot in a tiny little dip in the rock and straight up
Jon Corey

Postby martha » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 am

I'm 5'4 and I can reach sleeping beauty so I'm guessing that reach it not your issue. :P . smear up. crimp hard, palm hard and voila. :) (and straight up too... off to the far right or left is off route. :) )
Slabs are tricky and we don't have much chance to practice them around here. :)

Overhangy limestone routes might be 10c because of a pump factor but only have a technical difficulty of 5.9.... these routes you are speaking of are technical face climbing!

Enjoy it!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby motanb » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am

sleeping beauty.... smear, friction or like me use your 6'4 limbs;-)
Thomas

"When you get to the top.... Keep climbing"

~ JaphyRyder
motanb

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:22 am

go go gadget arms

Drytoolers: The stuff on the left near the crack is definitely out. Straight up. A hard technical move it is.

Sleeping Beauty: I smear up as high as possible and desperately reach for the crimps above. Height is an advantage on that one.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby PeterA » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:17 pm

sleeping beauty always seemed like something straight out of Jtree to me. Just stand up and believe :)

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Shawn B » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:21 pm

PeterA wrote:sleeping beauty always seemed like something straight out of Jtree to me. Just stand up and believe :)

-PJ

Just without the friction...and it'd only be 5.8....and the last bolt would be 20 feet below. Been 5+ years since I've been on it but I think I remember a slopey blob to palm/mantle to help us reaching impaired climbers. Betcha never did that on limestone...huh?? :D And yes trust thy feet too.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby PeterA » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Shawn B wrote:
PeterA wrote:sleeping beauty always seemed like something straight out of Jtree to me. Just stand up and believe :)

-PJ

Just without the friction...and it'd only be 5.8....and the last bolt would be 20 feet below. Been 5+ years since I've been on it but I think I remember a slopey blob to palm/mantle to help us reaching impaired climbers. Betcha never did that on limestone...huh?? :D And yes trust thy feet too.

they don't bolt 5.8's :wink: :P

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Burley » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Dom,
Let me know if you want to get out next week. I'm off Wed, Thu, Fri.
Burley

Postby Murph » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 pm

I attempted to lead this climb on Saturday and if you are looking for beta for the crux 5' below the anchor it goes as follows: reach for a left hand "nylon jug" and pull through to the anchor... works with out fail every time :D
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby martha » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:56 am

none of us got the crux yesterday, not me or Fred or Murph. with the sun blazing on that slab, what little friction there would have been turned into a hot mess. LOL
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Dom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 am

Well I'm glad to see that this route is not as moderate as the grade would suggest...My ego isn't that crushed hehe jk. I definitely will get back on it soon... thanks for the beta everyone!

And Murph as for the nylon Jug- It's what I used on my onsight attempt...French free is what they call it in the U.S...

Burley wrote:Dom,
Let me know if you want to get out next week. I'm off Wed, Thu, Fri.

Hey Burley sorry for the late reply I was in Kamouraska climbing overhanging quartzite routes hehe :mrgreen:
I can't make it on those dates next week...
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 am

So I found people talking about this line in the '09 tick list thread and I tried an onsight on this route in the 32 degree heat last sunday... big mistake. Cool line though. The bottom is sequence... once you have the beta you've got it made. The slab has more to do with Allah willing you through it. Was glad to have a bolt at my chest othewise you'd cheesegrater for a while before your cam caught you. I'll have to go back in on a cooler day to bag this one.

... and both tricky bits felt more challenging than the crux of Drytoolers.
*Chris*

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:05 am

I just had to add that I love Sleeping Beauty. Crimpy sequence below, big holds with slight roof and then finish on impossible 5' slab with invisible holds. I want to get on it gain... maybe this afternoon pending heat/friction and partner.

ROcK on!
Andrew

Return to New Brunswick