Cochrane Lane Cleaning

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: Cochrane Lane Cleaning

Postby sand » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 am

won't be around this wknd ... sorry
Sandrine
sand

Postby Leehammer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:23 am

I'm in aswell. Where do we pick up the brushes?

I think David and I were planning on scrubbing Lichen Cream Cheese/ Dikes on Bikes, and maybe Light Fandango.

Also, I noticed that the forecast high for Saturday is 3, whereas for Sunday it's 11.
Leehammer

Postby *Chris* » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:25 am

Brushes are at the gym. Either Adam or I will bring a pile and leave them at the sign-in box.

Based on that forecast I'd say Saturday will be my cleaning day and Sunday will be a day for sending!
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:11 am

*Chris* wrote:Brushes are at the gym. Either Adam or I will bring a pile and leave them at the sign-in box.

Based on that forecast I'd say Saturday will be my cleaning day and Sunday will be a day for sending!

what he said.
Adam

Postby Dom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 am

I think Luc G. and I will be camping up there this Saturday if anybody wants to join us. It's just supposed to be -2 during the night heheh
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Dom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Bringing a wrench would also come in handy on cleaning day for tightening the loose nuts on the bolts of the route you are cleaning. That beeing said, if you've never frigged around with bolts before WATCH OUT. You just want to tight enough so that the hanger stops moving. You don't want to tamper with the expansion bolt that has already been engaged. (danger of overtightening).

I think the no. 14 combination wrench works for 3/8inch bolts... if not adjustable wrench will work fo sure
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby cory » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 pm

I am unavailable on Saturday. I'll do my share some other time.
cory

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:35 am

Dombackpacker wrote:Bringing a wrench would also come in handy on cleaning day for tightening the loose nuts on the bolts of the route you are cleaning. That beeing said, if you've never frigged around with bolts before WATCH OUT. You just want to tight enough so that the hanger stops moving. You don't want to tamper with the expansion bolt that has already been engaged. (danger of overtightening).

I think the no. 14 combination wrench works for 3/8inch bolts... if not adjustable wrench will work fo sure

9/16" for 3/8" stud bolts, 1/2" for 3/8" Power Bolt (a.k.a. Rawl 5-Piece), 17mm for Fixe studs.

Avoid adjustables if possible as they can round off the nut if not used properly.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Greg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:16 pm

chossmonkey wrote:
Dombackpacker wrote:Bringing a wrench would also come in handy on cleaning day for tightening the loose nuts on the bolts of the route you are cleaning. That beeing said, if you've never frigged around with bolts before WATCH OUT. You just want to tight enough so that the hanger stops moving. You don't want to tamper with the expansion bolt that has already been engaged. (danger of overtightening).

9/16" for 3/8" stud bolts, 1/2" for 3/8" Power Bolt (a.k.a. Rawl 5-Piece), 17mm for Fixe studs.

Avoid adjustables if possible as they can round off the nut if not used properly.

The little wrenches that come with BD ice tools will fit as well. They are light, small and can be easily clipped to your harness.
Greg

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:51 pm

chossmonkey wrote:Avoid adjustables if possible as they can round off the nut if not used properly.

Avoid anything mechanical if you can't properly use adjustable wrenches. :)
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Greg H wrote:
The little wrenches that come with BD ice tools will fit as well. They are light, small and can be easily clipped to your harness.

That is a good idea. Overtightening really shouldn't be an issue either.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:44 pm

trad_reborn wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:Avoid adjustables if possible as they can round off the nut if not used properly.

Avoid anything mechanical if you can't properly use adjustable wrenches. :)

Most people probably don't know how to properly use an adjustable wrench. There is more to it than just making it the right size. On top of that, a poorly made wrench will get sloppy in a hurry, so it doesn't matter how good you think you are with one. Personally, I don't take expensive wrenches out to the cliff. Ad swinging around on a rope and it will just make things worse. Repeated tightening will result in your nuts getting rounded over.
chossmonkey

Postby Adam » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Good effort today guys! About a half dozen volunteers spent a beautiful November day toiling to make our cragg better for the masses. There are cleaning brushes left in the sign in box so if anyone feels the urge to do their part please feel free to grab a brush on your way in.

Someone go give strata factor a burn and tell me it isn't cleaner. go on. ...and boy the start of Icon looks wicked... i'm gonna go back and clean that up as well as it will link in with the top of strata factor.
Adam

Postby martha » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Sorry I couldn't make it out. Mother bear was left home in the den to look after her young.

I will clean Chocolate Eclair in the spring when I come out of hibernation.

Cheers.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stacey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:15 pm

martha wrote:Sorry I couldn't make it out. Mother bear was left home in the den to look after her young.

I will clean Chocolate Eclair in the spring when I come out of hibernation.

Cheers.

Cara

I hear ya Cara - - the girls were here too - - so I couldn't make it out either ... :(
on a good note - Megan officially has her babysitters course...hmm -- can someone say 'built-in' sitter time :)

I'll be a good momma and not take advantage TOO often :)

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby martha » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:25 pm

I don't mind a bit. They grow too fast for me to miss a second of it just for climbing. I can climb when I'm 50.

It is nice to get out once in a while though, and thus, weather permitting, I'll be going on a 'date' with my hubby tomorrow. :)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby david » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Couldn't make it yesterday, but we cleaned Lichen cream cheese today. I was surprised by how gorgeous this climb is past the ackward first couple of moves. I couldn't get rid of the bush near the top... but might go back with a saw on Wednesday and finish the job. We ran into some technical difficulties on Light Fandango so we couldn't finish the cleaning.
david

Postby *Chris* » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Cleaned a link-up that connects the left-most fist crack overhang with Reindeerland. Rather than going through the roof off the ground climb around to the left. Step over the cave at a horizontal just above the chains for Access denied. Follow cracks to easy climbing above. A good variation of a variation.

I cleaned the Leviathan extension while I was there. A good day everyone.
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 pm

*Chris* wrote:Cleaned a link-up that connects the left-most fist crack overhang with Reindeerland. Rather than going through the roof off the ground climb around to the left. Step over the cave at a horizontal just above the chains for Access denied. Follow cracks to easy climbing above. A good variation of a variation.

I cleaned the Leviathan extension while I was there. A good day everyone.

Thx Chris. This is definitely a fun link-up. Moderate climbing on steep overhanging with good gear. :)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Leehammer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:36 am

david wrote: We ran into some technical difficulties on Light Fandango so we couldn't finish the cleaning.

The "technical difficulties" were that I made the rookie mistake of not checking the end of my rope for knots when I was pulling it through on the second pitch. :oops: I was able to get down safely, but it was dark at that point, and we decided to leave the rope.
So, obviously, don't climb on that rope, it's not safe. We will hopefully get it down on Wednesday.
Leehammer

Postby *Chris* » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 am

... stuck ropes at nightfall. Classic! Just glad to hear that you put in knots in the first place. In terms of rookie mistakes, I think forgetting to put them in is worse than failing to take them out.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Leehammer wrote:we decided to leave the rope

why not just cut the rope? haha sry Marc/Seb couldn't resist.
Adam

Postby STeveA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 pm

*Chris* wrote:I think forgetting to put them in is worse than failing to take them out.
Tell that to Toni Kurtz!
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby *Chris* » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:21 pm

STeveA wrote:
*Chris* wrote:I think forgetting to put them in is worse than failing to take them out.
Tell that to Toni Kurtz!
Ok... fair point... but statistically speaking the odd outlier does not invalidate the average. Tie knots in the ends of your rope kids.

Besides... his case was a knot in the middle of the rope. Big difference.
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:10 pm

I had to Wiki this one. Intense story.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby coryhal » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:48 pm

cleaned sweepstakes, far left of joe's, looked like it hadent been climbed in years. its a really cool climb and defenitally not "R" rated, so get on it!
coryhal

Postby STeveA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 am

*Chris* wrote:
STeveA wrote:
Tell that to Toni Kurtz!
Ok... fair point... but statistically speaking the odd outlier does not invalidate the average. Tie knots in the ends of your rope kids.

Besides... his case was a knot in the middle of the rope. Big difference.

How about Joe Simpson! I could keep on going with examples. You cannot make blanket statements about what people should do. Everything is situation dependent, and people should have the knowledge and skill to use the appropriate techniques for the particular situation. I have seen and been involved in many epics because of knots in ropes, but I have no personal experience of people rappelling off the end.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Adam » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 am

STeveA wrote:How about Joe Simpson! I could keep on going with examples. You cannot make blanket statements about what people should do. Everything is situation dependent, and people should have the knowledge and skill to use the appropriate techniques for the particular situation. I have seen and been involved in many epics because of knots in ropes, but I have no personal experience of people rappelling off the end.

What does Joe Simpson have to do with knots in the rope when rappelling?

I have no personal experience of rapping/lowering off the end of the rope either but we know people that have in our small NB community. Knots in the end of your rope WILL save your life. jeebus Steve are you advocating not putting knots in your rope when you rap!!?
Adam

Postby martha » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:47 am

Fred has rapped off the end of his rope twice...both were 'duh' circumstances' thankfully close to the ground!

Needless to say, we are all about the knots.

martha

Postby *Chris* » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:51 am

I'm absolutely comfortable with making that particular blanket statement to a beginner. I've been stopped by the ends in my rope. You can learn the combinations and permutations by the time your climbing the Eiger... but in the beginning... knots go in every time.
*Chris*

PreviousNext

Return to New Brunswick