Winter Climbing Trip

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Winter Climbing Trip

Postby shawn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:34 am

I have from Dec 11-Jan 11 off. I am going on a climbing trip for that whole time. I am generally open to anything but I am mainly looking at either driving to some where in the southern US (Red Rocks, J Tree, Hueco...). On the other hand the great John Bowles thinks I should go to Spain. Really I am open to anything just need someone who can commit and climb. Generally want to save money and dirt bag it but i will do what ever it takes to climb. I want to aim the trip at single pitch sport climbing around the 5.11 range...but again open to anything. I am at the UNB gym almost every night. Just look for the tall guy.
shawn

Re: Winter Climbing Trip

Postby Fred » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:49 am

Save your money and don't go to Europe.

Vegas, J-Tree, Hueco.... sound choices.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stacey » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:22 pm

can't join you - but dang I'm totally jealous! haha...

good luck - enjoy!
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Adam » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:28 pm

as great as vegas is i think it might be rather chilly on those dates unless you are able to climb in the sun all the time. jtree too....

if you can find cheap flights to cuba there is vinales, or el potrero in mexico but they're not the cheapest places to get compared to vegas.
Adam

Postby shawn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Ya, I am starting to think to go south cause of the money. I know it will be cold but what the hell eh, stick the the sun.

I forgot to mention that i am looking for a partner too.
shawn

Postby martha » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:48 pm

I've climbed in Vegas second week in January and it wasn't too bad. Cold at night, but in the day we were in t-shirts no problem.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby coryhal » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 pm

im looking for a partner for some ice climbing in the rockies (dec 26 - jan 11) if ur interested??
coryhal

Postby cory » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 pm

Hmmm.... I've got to be in Orlando (sucks, I know) Jan 7th-13th or something. If the endpoint of the trip (such as Tennessee Wall, HP40, Rocktown, maybe after Boon or Hueco) was nearby, maybe it could work.
cory

Postby Shawn B » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:51 am

Back to Shawn's topic....I've climbed RR first week of Dec and it was ok. Will depend on what weather systems come through. Canyons are colder than in Vegas. JTree should be warmer but no sport climbing unless you consider a single bolt at the crux to be sport. :) Fabulous trad climbing of all grades though. You will have potential for snow though in either place that time of year. Will be chilly at night either place. Camping in Vegas sucks...JTree is the nicest place I have ever camped.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby shawn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks for the advice all. Although, after the cold weather started to hit this week my warm west coast blood has driven me further South.One month in El Potrero Chico in mexico it is. Anyone for some fun in the Sun?
shawn

Return to New Brunswick