Welsford - paper

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Welsford - paper

Postby john » Fri May 20, 2005 12:51 pm

My 20/05 1:45pm,

As everyone is now aware, there has been an aticle regarding Welsford access published in the Saint John Telegraph Journal. For your information the Saint John version of the paper and the online version have the complete story (and photos), the rest of the province recieves only a portion found on page A4. I was approached yesterday May 19/05 about providing information for the artical, which I did to ensure "here say" was not printed. Despite some minor errors in the article I think it was a reasonable representation of the situation.

This morning May20/05 I recieved approximately 15 phone calls from Global and CBC reporters wanting to do interviews and find more information due to the articles publication. All of the reporters wanted interviews today. Prior to making any agreement I spoke with both the Communications Officer and G3 Coordinator at Base Gagetown to let them know about the situation (they already did) and to extend them the professional courtesy of discussing their stance on the situation, prior to accepting any interviews. It was in agreement to do one.

At 12:40pm May20/05 I did a short interview explaining the situation, past use, current issues and future hopes on the Maritime at Noon.

Just prior to the interview today when I spoke to the G3 Coordinator we confirmed that a meeting time will be set up within the next week to week and a half to work out a land use agreement. Everything that was discussed was extremely positive. The Base is very willing to restore our access to the area, but first we must meet and address whatever concerns both sides may have. It seems it is just a matter of working out an agreement with the Base and helping limit potential future problems. Once this meeting is held I am confident that a mutually beneficial agreement will be reached that will allow for current and future access.

It seems that the issue will have an excellent outcome. I will try and make sure whatever agreement is made will allow future use of the area for UNB Rock and Ice members (which can include community members). Another benefit of this process is once an agreement is made current documentation will be filed properly in UNB Library resources as well as with the club, so if the issue should arise in the future the documentation will not be an issue as it is currently.

This is an opportunity for the UNB Rock and Ice Club and those affiliated with it and community climbers to maintain our past history, yet also start fresh striving to secure a land use agreement which will protect our privledge of climbing use in the Welsford area.

Sincerely,

John Bowles

PS Once the meeting has taken place my notes from it and its outcome will be placed either here on the forum, or preferably on the UNB site (as discussed in another thread). Regardless, a post will be placed here acknowledging the where abouts of the information, so there will be no confusion.
john

Postby DeanO » Fri May 20, 2005 3:17 pm

I would like to thank John for all his hard work and time. We are lucky to have such a good diplomat and front man for such a problem. I think this issue could have gone the other way without his help.

Thanks John!!!!!
DeanO

Good Job

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Fri May 20, 2005 3:22 pm

First off i don't want to offend anyone by saying this or remember that.

I would like to thank john aswell for working so hard. i think too many people looked at this problem from a negative stance, (many things cause that ie. taking so long for word from the army), and didn't have enough patience (guilty :oops: ) but yeah thats my 2 cents.
so yeah thank you john.
Climb on
Luke
lukelovesclimbin

Postby DeanO » Sat May 21, 2005 3:51 pm

People have to understand that anything done by the government takes time. They are renowned for there turtle like abilities. Think of how much this would suck if the weather was nice.
DeanO

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Sat May 21, 2005 3:53 pm

DeanO don't say anything about the weather. don't you jynx it
i don't want a repeat of last summer.
Climb on
Luke
lukelovesclimbin

Postby Andrew » Sat May 21, 2005 9:50 pm

Apparently all it takes to get a proper response and action from the government is to post a front page article in the newspaper about the situation.

At least we live in Canada where our government isn't nearly as corrupted as an unmentioned 'foreign' country near us.

Climb on.
Andrew

Postby PaulB » Sat May 21, 2005 11:35 pm

Andrew wrote:At least we live in Canada where our government isn't nearly as corrupted as an unmentioned 'foreign' country near us.

Yes, because it's so much better to have a government which is only a little corrupt, than one which is fully corrupt. :roll:
PaulB

Re: Welsford - paper

Postby mitchleblanc » Sun May 22, 2005 5:10 am

john wrote:It seems that the issue will have an excellent outcome. I will try and make sure whatever agreement is made will allow future use of the area for UNB Rock and Ice members (which can include community members). Another benefit of this process is once an agreement is made current documentation will be filed properly in UNB Library resources as well as with the club, so if the issue should arise in the future the documentation will not be an issue as it is currently.

This is an opportunity for the UNB Rock and Ice Club and those affiliated with it and community climbers to maintain our past history, yet also start fresh striving to secure a land use agreement which will protect our privledge of climbing use in the Welsford area.

What about Non UNB climbing club members? Seems strange that the whole process is based on UNB. Though I see the (initial) benefits, it makes no sense, really, does it? What about visitors, tourists, etc? Obviously any "plan" will take that into account, but the way you word it doesn't make it seem that way..
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Return to New Brunswick