Ice climbing near Campbelton

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Ice climbing near Campbelton

Postby Trumpet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 am

Hi all,

My brother and I will be spending 2 weeks in Matapedia Qc and I want to discover new areas for ice climbing. I've seen Grand Falls in the summer and it looks like the place to climb this winter. I will be looking to the ice conditions thread regularly so please let me know when it is in shape enough to safely lead routes from WI3 to WI4+.

I'm also looking for a cheap place to stay in Grand Falls. Any suggestions ?

Is there anything closer to Campbelton ? Last summer I've walked on the shore when the Baie des Chaleurs begins (near Atholville but on Qc side) and I seen some small cliffs (app 8 meters) with water falling off. Maybe I can find some short pillars to climb there. Any informations ?

Thank you and have a good ice climbing season !

Trumpet
Trumpet

Re: Ice climbing near Campbelton

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:44 pm

pfffT! Go north to the Gaspe penninsula! Start at St anne du mont and work your way east. Stay at the Auberge sea shack!
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Trumpet » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Thank you Matt but Gaspesie will be for later this season. I'm looking for a place near Matapedia because I will be visiting my familly and I don't want to leave to far for more than one night.

Any other suggestions ? Anyone as an update for the ice conditions in Grand Falls ? Cheap hotel on town ?

Thank you,
Trumpet
Trumpet

Postby DanR » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Between Campbelton and Matapedia there are many climbs on the side of the highway. Many small but nice pillars and a few large flows. I've seen v-threads and slings on top of some of the pillars last few years, so people are climbing here. Climbs are directly on the road, so you can't miss them!
DanR

Return to New Brunswick