Parlee Brook

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Parlee Brook

Postby theriault » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:20 am

Was In Parlee yesterday (22nd). There's about an inch of snow/slush on everything.... but good ice under it! so... will still be good for a while! Marty
Marty
theriault

Re: Parlee Brook

Postby GKelly » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Hey all, I was in to search for the parlee brook ice on Sunday. I did not find the area I have seen in your photos but I did find some fun ice. Heading in from what used to be "The Abbey" (sign is missing), is it in the gully directly behind the camp or is it the next gully? Also, does the ice on the hillside on the left just before the camp get climbed?
Joe - can I get your book in Sussex yet? Hampton?
GKelly

Postby Stacey » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:47 pm

The "Parlee" that is in the book is the second Gully..though a bunch of us climbed in the gully behind the cabin last year too...I'm pretty sure Shawn/Denise have some FA's in there...not sure where they are recorded.

Stacey
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby theriault » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:04 am

GKelly, we saw your tracks on Tuesday, you were just a bit short of the main gully... next time keep going on the trail till you hit the first clearing after the camp, then at the end of this clearing there is a three with some sort of sickness ( full of big bumps ) turn left there, follow the brook to the end of the gully.
Marty
theriault

Postby Adam » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am

theriault wrote:GKelly, we saw your tracks on Tuesday, you were just a bit short of the main gully... next time keep going on the trail till you hit the first clearing after the camp, then at the end of this clearing there is a three with some sort of sickness ( full of big bumps ) turn left there, follow the brook to the end of the gully.

"turn left at the tree" hehe
Adam

Postby GKelly » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:46 pm

I see I see. I travelled this area a lot years ago on my mt. bike. I have heard that the trail coming into hidden valley from the far end (opposite end from the abbey) has been widened into a pretty good road right down into the valley. My father drove his half ton in so it must be pretty good. The road can be accessed via misty mountain road or Cotter-Hollow road (?spelling?) wich both turn off Millbrook Rd. I havn't driven in this way since the new road was built but I'm certain it is only usable before the snow gets too deep. It should go almost to the bumpy tree though from what I've been told.
GKelly

Postby peter » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:35 pm

The directions from the bottom need to be improved. I have been in from the top several times, but struck out completely today, trying to follow the directions here and from Joe's old site..

Parked at the Abbey, and then what? Continue up the road? There is a cabin 10 minutes up. Is that the camp? Do you cross water? Is it on the left or right of the road?

Because the descriptions I read are so basic, I thought it would be obvious. Big mistake.

Who would like to do a description that is geared to strangers to the area? I'll do the same you you, if you come to NS.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby Stacey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm very poor at directions, but I'll give it a go.

Park at the Abbey and go up the road (arnold's hollow)...the house you speak of (10 minutes in-belong to the salmon hatchery folks), continue past this up the road, you'll come to another cabin on the left another 30/40 minutes up the road)...

In front of this cabin, turn around, and you'll see Hull Holmes up and left.

Continue past the cabin around the little 'lake'...you'll come to a spot in the trail where it appears to thin out, and as mentioned, you'll see the infamous 'tree' full of burls...see picture below - at this tree - turn left through the alders, veering right towards the brook, once at the brook, simply follow it until you get to the full ravine for awesome ice climbing :)

Hope this helps (and Peter - - I'll be taking you up on your offer for directions to NS ice sometime :)

Stacey
Attachments
'burl'y tree.jpg
turn left at this 'burl'y tree!
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby peter » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:28 pm

StaceyMJCouturier wrote: Park at the Abbey and go up the road (arnold's hollow)...

Which road, continue on foot on the one you have driven in on (Parlee Brook Road), or do you head off on a different road after parking (ie the one angling off above The Abbey?).
peter

Postby Mike D » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:49 am

peter wrote:
StaceyMJCouturier wrote: Park at the Abbey and go up the road (arnold's hollow)...

Which road, continue on foot on the one you have driven in on (Parlee Brook Road), or do you head off on a different road after parking (ie the one angling off above The Abbey?).

the later ... drive in past the Abbey, park on the far side of the bridge, walk back by the Abbey and turn up the 'angling off' road. It is a steep road and you will see the Abbey's owners house just up in the woods above the Abbey.
Mike D

Postby peter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Mike D wrote:drive in past the Abbey, park on the far side of the bridge, walk back by the Abbey and turn up the 'angling off' road. It is a steep road and you will see the Abbey's owners house just up in the woods above the Abbey.

That's what we figured, when we got back to the car. The description, "Park across the bridge, past the Abbey, ski 20 minutes & then walk 10 more minutes in" (NB Ice Guide) , seems to be missing the important beta Mike has added above.

Not that seven hours in the car, a 90 minutes walk with packs, and a single pitch at Hampton, wasn't a good day out, but it could have been better.

For any NB climbers interested in the big ice at Cape D'Or, NS, "drive to the border, turn right, drive until you see a diseased tree, then turn left, you can't miss it! If you find yourself in Cape Breton, you went too far."
peter

Postby Adam » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:53 pm

peter wrote:For any NB climbers interested in the big ice at Cape D'Or, NS, "drive to the border, turn right, drive until you see a diseased tree, then turn left, you can't miss it! If you find yourself in Cape Breton, you went too far."

you're not hiding your bitterness very well Peter ;)
Adam

Postby Stacey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:59 pm

Adam wrote:
peter wrote:For any NB climbers interested in the big ice at Cape D'Or, NS, "drive to the border, turn right, drive until you see a diseased tree, then turn left, you can't miss it! If you find yourself in Cape Breton, you went too far."

you're not hiding your bitterness very well Peter ;)

This is what I get for adding the 'burl'y tree photo :P

it's okay Peter - - I am sure you meant you would give us a personal tour for a belay.
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby gwa » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:49 am

Oh that Tree! In the long valley with the cottage there are several ravines. I hiked into all but one of them... except the one with the obvious gnarly tree.

Before I started to ice climb I tried to find the Parlee Brook Ice climbing area via the Abbey three times. Eventually I found it last season from the top via Lisson Settlement.

It's a great hike from the Abbey. Very scenic. There's a cool ravine behind to cottage to explore and also the Friar's Nose, which has one of the best panoramic views around.
Graham
gwa

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 pm

Peter,
I find a picture is worth a thousand words... particularly if that picture is a map. You might find my Google Maps project at the link below of value. I have added several aerial image overlays for the Parlee Brook area that may aid in your navigation next time. Cheers

http://oppositeandopposed.blogspot.com/2009/12/nb-ice-climbing.html
*Chris*

Return to New Brunswick