Long Weekend fun?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Long Weekend fun?

Postby martha » Mon May 23, 2005 4:57 pm

So, what are your climbing stories for the long weekend? anyone?

A crew of 6 of us plus baby Eve went to Kamouraska this weekend. It rained on Saturday, Sunday was misty, but we managed to get in 6 or so routes before it started raining again late afternoon. Luckily we had rented a small cabin so were at least dry and sheltered from the wind while camping, much to Eve's pleasure!

Monday morning, raining (again) so we packed up and headed for home, only to find semi-dry conditions here!! sheesh!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Long weekend stories

Postby shannon » Mon May 23, 2005 7:26 pm

Hi y'all! I bought my first rope! Eldrid Live wire 60m Dry. Climbing wall will go up within a month. (not the only use for the rope of course)

shannon on PEI.
shannon

Postby mike » Tue May 24, 2005 8:42 am

Hey shannon,

Careful with that rope- it's not a multi-tool. Buy some yellow nylon stuff at the hardware store if you have uses for rope other than climbing.

Not only is it safer, but you won't waist your hard earned dollars on something like your dog chewing the middle out of you climbing rope.

Climbing rope- not multi purpose rope.

Mike
mike

Postby mike » Tue May 24, 2005 8:45 am

I may have missed yer point on that last post. Maybe not- I dunno.

I certainly missed the mark on the use of the word 'waist'.

Hmmmm.
mike

new rope

Postby shannon » Wed May 25, 2005 1:17 pm

Mike,

No, I meant that I didn't buy a dry rope just for use on a climbing wall. I bought it to rock and ice climb too. In that sense, it could be a multi use tool. Just not a genaric rope for all occasions, dogs, et al.

Shannon
shannon

Postby martha » Wed May 25, 2005 2:05 pm

For your climbing wall at home Shannon, I might suggest getting a static line so long as you don't plan on lead climbing on it. They are pretty cheap, and you can buy one just long enough for your needs, therefore not putting wear on your good climbing rope in just the end sections.

I would get one 3 times the height of your wall for obvious safety reasons, and you may as well get 11mm while you are at it. MEC sells it for $3.50 a Metre.

Cheers.

Cara

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Bar Harbor

Postby STeveA » Thu May 26, 2005 9:13 am

PJ and I drove down to Bar Harbor Saturday morning. Climbed 3 routes on Precipice then hiked the Beehive. The precipice trail is closed for the season. QUick supper at Friendly's then drove home that night. The weather was cool which meant not bugs. It stayed dry until the drive home. A long day, but definatelely worth it.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby martha » Thu May 26, 2005 9:18 am

Fred and I were at Precipice last weekend and can't wait to get back down there, the climbing was incredible. Maybe next weekend!!

martha

Postby Fred » Thu May 26, 2005 9:51 am

which Precipice trail is closed? Is it because of the Perigrins? I hope we were allowed to climb on Precipice when we were there. There were signs closing off the area way right of Precipice because of the Falcons but nothing at the main walls.

I've heard the Beehive is nice. I want to do it someday but so much climbing to be done in between. :)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Thu May 26, 2005 7:11 pm

The main climbing area at Precipice is not affected by the trail closure. The precipice trail is the pull off just before you get to the Precipice climbing area. The trail runs North (or away from the climbing area) and I think most of the nesting is done well away from the main Precipice area.

The precipice trail is worth doing even for you dedicated (ie. obsessed) climbers. A nice loop is to start at precipice, and go south to the beehives, and come back along the shore (just pick a path on the rocky shore). I find bar harbor to be more of a fall destination. Even if the weather is crap there is lots of trails to hike AND the precipice trail is open.
mathieu

Postby Matt Peck » Fri May 27, 2005 6:46 pm

I really don't think that Shannon was planning on roping his wall Cara, (though if he was I take it back) I just find if funny how youare always on deck with the exact prices and associated info. Really, there's gear whoring and then there's GEARWHORING!
aaaaahhhh who am I kiddin..... :wink:
As for shannon, Sweet with getting a wall put up. Good job! Are you going to let other climbing deprived souls pull plastic on your turf? If so, where and when? where and when?
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Fri May 27, 2005 7:45 pm

Matt Peck wrote:I really don't think that Shannon was planning on roping his wall Cara, (though if he was I take it back) I just find if funny how youare always on deck with the exact prices and associated info. Really, there's gear whoring and then there's GEARWHORING!
aaaaahhhh who am I kiddin..... :wink:
As for shannon, Sweet with getting a wall put up. Good job! Are you going to let other climbing deprived souls pull plastic on your turf? If so, where and when? where and when?

Yup! I'm a gear whore! you betcha. Matt, you are just slipping away from it cause you are in PEI. Lets get you back to the mainland so you can tell us about the glow in the dark zipper pulls on your NF tent!!! :wink:

but yes, Shannon is putting a rope on his wall. we've discussed it in full on email. :D

martha

Return to New Brunswick