Coooolllllldddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Coooolllllldddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:18 pm

Man was it ever cold today in Welsford. I've climbed in colder but phew!!! It was nice to see a few hardcore climbers out today. I got on Strata Factor today. Sweet line. Might have been a little easier if I could feel my fingers. No I didn't do the second pitch. LOL That's crazy. :D Hope everyone enjoyed what "could" be the last climbing of the season. You never know though... we could get super warm weather out of nowhere.

On another note... if it stays below freezing the next three days, I'm totaly thinking of checking out Parlee Brook. Wack Wack. Get ur mind out of the gutter people. :D

I have a question about Strata Factor. Once you pass the two bolts on the arete (crux) and gain a ledge, you move up to a bolt on a short vertical section. Does the route go right from there or up and left over the buldge? And how do you get up to clip that bolt without going to the left and then coming back right. A bit sketch and reachy but not too bad if you place a nut just below. All in all it was a pretty nice climb. Maybe not as good as people played it up though. But I like!

Cheers!
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Coooolllllldddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:40 pm

Glad to hear people are still out there braving the cold. 5 degrees somehow feels so much warmer in March/April than it does in November.

Later (with heat pumped up to 25C)

Fred wrote:Man was it ever cold today in Welsford. I've climbed in colder but phew!!! It was nice to see a few hardcore climbers out today. I got on Strata Factor today. Sweet line. Might have been a little easier if I could feel my fingers. No I didn't do the second pitch. LOL That's crazy. :D Hope everyone enjoyed what "could" be the last climbing of the season. You never know though... we could get super warm weather out of nowhere.

On another note... if it stays below freezing the next three days, I'm totaly thinking of checking out Parlee Brook. Wack Wack. Get ur mind out of the gutter people. :D

I have a question about Strata Factor. Once you pass the two bolts on the arete (crux) and gain a ledge, you move up to a bolt on a short vertical section. Does the route go right from there or up and left over the buldge? And how do you get up to clip that bolt without going to the left and then coming back right. A bit sketch and reachy but not too bad if you place a nut just below. All in all it was a pretty nice climb. Maybe not as good as people played it up though. But I like!

Cheers!
Andrew

Strata

Postby Ulysse » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:06 pm

The second pitch is much better
Ulysse

Postby jeremy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:39 am

I have to agree with ulysse. 2nd pitch is stellar, really exposed and despite what you have heard, well protected except the last 15 feet. I heard someone lead this pitch on gear only, skipping the three bolts?? A cam could replace the 2nd bolt I think. And yeah quite exposed, even scary on toprope.
jeremy

Postby Ulysse » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:23 pm

There is gear near all the bolts never more than 1-2 feet away
It's easier to put in gear than clip the last bolt for us short people, well
for me anyway...
Ulysse

Return to New Brunswick