Peregrine Activity 2010

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Peregrine Activity 2010

Postby Joe » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

This weekend I checked out the nest site that had been used for the past 2 years (by Astroboy) and found no sign of activity. Several climbers report seeing recent falcon activity near the Ampitheater. The falcons had nested in 2007 just left of Cheekbone, so it appears that they may have moved back to their old home. I will confirm this soon, but for now it would seem that the Cheekbone area will be closed for climbing until August.

The good news is the L-Shape and Joe's Garage areas will not be affected by closure this summer. I will be in contact with CFB Gagetown once I confirm the nest site location, but I request that climbers prevent disturbance to the falcons by avoiding the Cheekbone area from now on. Liam, if you have to rappell Cheekbone to get your gear, please do it very quickly and only on a warm, dry day. The birds will be sitting on eggs now, and the eggs are very sensitive to cooling if the parents are kept away from the nest for too long.

I hope that everyone will be respectful and will protect these birds. I know the closure is an inconvenience to climbers, but it's the price we pay for the privilege of watching falcon chicks fly around our cliff during late summer. I will post another notice once CFB Gagetown has been notified. Thank you for your understanding. Joe Kennedy, Biologist, DNR.
Joe

Re: Peregrine Activity 2010

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Joe,

Any idea if the ban will extend beyond Cheekbone? Will it include Amphitheater? Waterfall Wall?

Greg
Greg

Postby Leehammer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks Joe, if it is nice and warm this weekend I will try to get my gear back quickly and without causing a large disturbance.
I didn't see any eggs up near pigeon flowers ledge so I guess they nest somewhere else.
Leehammer

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 pm

The peregrines are definitely nesting just left of Cheekbone Corner, sitting on 4 eggs. Please do not disturb them. The area between the Amphitheater and Waterfall Wall will be closed to climbing until the end of July. More details will follow next week. Thank you for your respect. Joe Kennedy.
Joe

Return to New Brunswick