COCHRANE LANE CLOSURE 2010

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

COCHRANE LANE CLOSURE 2010

Postby UNB Rock & Ice Club » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello Climbers,

The UNB Rock & Ice club has been asked to pass along a message to all it’s members and to the general climbing community concerning access to Cochrane Lane in Welsford, NB. As most are already aware, a pair of peregrine falcons has nested once again in the area near ‘Cheekbone Corner’. As a ‘threatened species’, CFB Gagetown (the landowner) is obligated to take measures to protect the birds, and their habitat.

Therefore, from now until further notice, the following areas described in ‘A Rock Climber’s Guide to New Brunswick’ are closed to climbing:

*The Amphitheater
*Cheekbone Corner
*Pooh Corner

Signs will be posted at access trails notifying climbers of this closure. Please respect this very reasonable request and avoid these areas until the closure is lifted later on this summer.

Finally, we must all remember to respect our access arrangement with CFB Gagetown. For more information, please read here.

Cheers and safe climbing!
Built By Climbers... For Climbers
UNB Rock & Ice Club

Re: COCHRANE LANE CLOSURE 2010

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:40 am

25 June 1020

CFB Gagetown will remove the travel restriction around the Cheekbone area on 1 July 2010. The area will be open to climbing again. Thanks to all climbers for respecting the closure again this year. The peregrine falcons were successful this season, fledging at least 1 chick. There maybe another chick that fledged already that I haven't seen yet, so I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for your understanding, and enjoy the summer climbing.

Joe Kennedy, DNR
Joe

Return to New Brunswick