Timing of bird closures

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Timing of bird closures

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:33 pm

I read that as of today (June 14th) the peregrine chicks in the Gunks had fledged and as such, the climbing closure had lifted. It seems to me that this is quite a bit earlier than we've experienced in previous years. Anyone know the explanation here? (Joe?) Is it a function of climate perhaps where they get an earlier start in NY?
*Chris*

Re: Timing of bird closures

Postby Nihoa » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am

everything you needed to know in one simple graph. hahah. there is variation in breeding based on elevation of the nest site, maritime vs inland, etc and an early spring might have done it too. according to that graph its completely possible for a migrant pair to have fledged their chick by mid-june.

*Chris* wrote:I read that as of today (June 14th) the peregrine chicks in the Gunks had fledged and as such, the climbing closure had lifted. It seems to me that this is quite a bit earlier than we've experienced in previous years. Anyone know the explanation here? (Joe?) Is it a function of climate perhaps where they get an earlier start in NY?
Nihoa

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Yeah, everything seems about 2 weeks early this year. The chicks have fledged, kinda. Usually the chicks stay in the nest for about 6 weeks, and I estimate the eggs hatched 7 weeks ago. I checked the nest today and the chicks were not in the nest, but on the big belay ledge on Cheekbone, screaming for mom. So give them a bit more time to get their wings, literally. I'll talk with CFB Gagetown to initiate opening up the restricted area before July. (By the way, there were dozens of military personal at the cliff today, must be training.)

And for your information, I checked another nest near Saint John on the SJ river, and the chicks there were flying too, and really well. I looked at 2 nests along the Fundy coast last week, and those chicks were tiny, weeks from flying. The only thing consistent about nature is its variability. Joe.
Joe

Postby *Chris* » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks for the update Joe... and to be sure... I don't need everything to plot nicely on a graph. I'm not a knob... despite what Mark might have you believe.
*Chris*

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:30 am

CFB Gagetown will remove the travel restriction around the Cheekbone area on 1 July 2010. The area will be open to climbing again. Thanks to all climbers for respecting the closure again this year. The peregrine falcons were successful this season, fledging at least 1 chick. There maybe another chick that fledged already that I haven't seen yet, so I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks for your understanding, and enjoy the summer climbing. Joe Kennedy.
Joe

Postby Stan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:12 am

Good news, indeed!
Stan

Postby anderfo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:24 am

BTW we saw five (not two) small peregrines flying over Upper Tier on Saturday. I didn't look very carefully since I was climbing, but Cory thought he saw five of them.
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby Nihoa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

peregrine chicks shouldnt look much smaller than the parents when they fledge. my guess is that you saw some grackles or starlings mobbing/chasing the peregrines?

anderfo wrote:BTW we saw five (not two) small peregrines flying over Upper Tier on Saturday. I didn't look very carefully since I was climbing, but Cory thought he saw five of them.
Nihoa

Postby anderfo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Nihoa wrote:peregrine chicks shouldnt look much smaller than the parents when they fledge. my guess is that you saw some grackles or starlings mobbing/chasing the peregrines?

anderfo wrote:BTW we saw five (not two) small peregrines flying over Upper Tier on Saturday. I didn't look very carefully since I was climbing, but Cory thought he saw five of them.

Ask Cory Goodman, since I'm not a bird expert and I was busy climbing while they were circling around ;)
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Return to New Brunswick