Cochrane Lane Cleaning - 2010

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: Cochrane Lane Cleaning - 2010

Postby PeterA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Dom wrote:I was in CL this weekend and noticed that the scramble up to lower-dawn wall on L-Shape is very eroded. Seeing as this is a popular little cliff, I think we should try to build something (small drainage) to deviate the water from draining in the path.

That erosion is from the recent massive rockfall, not water. Some travel should actually pack everything back up

-PJ
PeterA

Postby *Chris* » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 pm

PeterA wrote:
Dom wrote:I was in CL this weekend and noticed that the scramble up to lower-dawn wall on L-Shape is very eroded. Seeing as this is a popular little cliff, I think we should try to build something (small drainage) to deviate the water from draining in the path.

That erosion is from the recent massive rockfall, not water. Some travel should actually pack everything back up

-PJ
Yup. Whatever happened to leave no trace? Either way. It ought to be stabilized.
*Chris*

Postby PeterA » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 pm

*Chris* wrote:Yup. Whatever happened to leave no trace?

I agree. The cleanup effort should focus more on the rocks littering our cliffs :wink:

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Leehammer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I'd like to clean Waterfall layback. And then send it if I'm not too scared :wink:
Leehammer

Postby Adam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 am

November is fast approaching... should we aim for the weekend of the 6th/7th?
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 am

Works for me. Again, I'd like to see the climbing club support this... but it doesn't necessarily have to be hijacked into a 'UNB Rock & Ice event'. We'll just spread the word.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 am

do we have brushes left over from last year?
Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:54 am

STeveA wrote:
martha wrote:
Adam wrote:
what ye think about adding a bolt for the anchor for Farewell? the traverse to Trouble w/ Lichen is annoying and IMHO detracts from the pure line.

thoughts?

Not a bad idea. Though I'm wondering what the reasoning was to not put one in the first place?

One of the first sport routes in the area, and the idea of not going to the top did not exist. An anchor after th hard climbing before the final traverse is a good idea.

just want to point out that Steve and I agreed on something here. :D
Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:57 am

so far we have the following items. please feel free to volunteer for these items...

- bolt on farewell to arms anchor (i'll do this)
- fix signage (any new signs we might want?)
- trail - which of these should we focus on/gets more traffic?
-- cave to striated (maybe just remove tree if peoples dogs can't handle it?)
-- cave to waterfall wall (this gets my vote - suggest bucksaw action on clearing decent trail, setting up cairns to guide people)
-- scramble to lower down
-- fix bridges (andrew you suggested it - wanna handle this?)
Adam

Postby Nihoa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm

fred and i were talking about that bolt anchor on farewell when we climbed it. right at that little dead tree that we slung seems like a natural end to the route rather than the long traverse over to the finish of trouble.
Nihoa

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:48 pm

re: bridges

I don't mind ripping out bad boards, cutting new ones and nailing them onto the existing logs, if they are still in good shape. It may not be on the official clean-up day due to my work schedule (only get weekends off 50% of the time).

My question to you and the club is - Am I expected to finance the cost of the wood and nails? I'm not complaining, just want to find out what the expectations are. Also, do I have to use a specific type of wood and nails? Will people complain if I use the wrong wood? Environmentally friendly and such? Let me know what the deal is and I don't mind fixing up as much of those bridges on the main trail as I can.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Fred » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Andrew wrote:My question to you and the club is - Am I expected to finance the cost of the wood and nails?

Yes and you must provide beer and p.b.&j. sandwiches too. :mrgreen:

The boards are still fine they are simply falling out of the rotten logs.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *Chris* » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Andrew wrote:re: bridges

I don't mind ripping out bad boards, cutting new ones and nailing them onto the existing logs, if they are still in good shape. It may not be on the official clean-up day due to my work schedule (only get weekends off 50% of the time).

My question to you and the club is - Am I expected to finance the cost of the wood and nails? I'm not complaining, just want to find out what the expectations are. Also, do I have to use a specific type of wood and nails? Will people complain if I use the wrong wood? Environmentally friendly and such? Let me know what the deal is and I don't mind fixing up as much of those bridges on the main trail as I can.

Andrew

Serious? Did you actually just write that?
*Chris*

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:45 pm

My post was like that because people seem to be having wars and seem to disagree about alot of things. I didn't want people all pissed for silly things. If the climate wasn't seemingly the way it was, people wouldn't have to ask questions like that. I figure ask first rather than piss someone off.

I'll take a good look at the bridges next time up and see what needs to be done.

*Chris* wrote:

Andrew

Serious? Did you actually just write that?
Andrew

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:31 am

Andrew

Eastern White Cedar decking is best (5/4 by 4 inches wide) as it last longer and isn't treated with toxic shite. Buy local - there is a small mill near Brown's Flat. Use 2 1/2 inch galvanized ardox nails. They will hold longer and not rust for a long time.

BTW - I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for money from the club to pay for the materials.
Greg

Postby Adam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 am

there aren't that many boards out. a hand full of nails should be enough as the boards are all still there (i think) and just need reattaching.

i'm sure the club could reimburse you the $2 for nails... or you could make the sacrifice of skipping one Tim's coffee and consider it a donation to the community.
Adam

Postby Dom » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:51 am

Andrew, when you replace those boards, another thing you can do is hammer down all the boards that are in place. That way they don't ''pop'' that easily. Thanks, for doing this.

And as for every climber, hiker, local, military that walks on these boards, please walk in the MIDDLE to center your weight on the 2 (or is it 4?) nails of the board. If not you will pop a board, because as Fred said, the logs underneath are rotten...I know this is common sense but I speak from experience having ''popped'' a couple myself and almost ended up breaking my leg because of it :oops: ... (downside of camping at exfoliated and having to carry a pack in front of your face)

As for myself on cleaning day, I will be cleaning routes at Upper Tier...I think Wild E Coyote is a cool route but is definitely overgrown. The description in the guidebook prob. doesn't help its lack of traffic... :wink:
I would also like to place a bolted anchor because the original tree used is dead and the tree that can be used forces the climber to do a dirty topout (IMHO)... any thoughts?

Any other suggestions for routes to clean while I'm up there?
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:03 am

I will be working on the slope leading to lower dawn.

I'd also like to bolt anchors on top of About A Rope & Sweet Potato Pie. I don't have a guidebook in front of me so I don't know who was involved in putting up these routes. Does anyone have contact info?

I will also be spreading the word via UNB Rock & Ice, which might get some more volunteers from newer members to the community who don't post here.

Lastly, I will commit to bringing the request for material funding to the club exec (of which I am the current President). If the exec is in agreement I'll report back to this thread how that will work.

In the meantime, it would be constructive if we assembled an estimate of how much money is needed to do a proper job.
*Chris*

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks for some useful information about wood and nails, Greg. Most appreciated.

As far as pay for materials... To clear up misunderstandings - I wasn't asking to be reimbursed. I was trying to find out if this is something the club was sponsoring, ie: any and/or all of the trail maintenance day related activities. I didn't want to go out and buy stuff and find out that it was being provided or whatever. I also didn't want to buy the wrong stuff. I'm not a carpenter or a handyman so I look for advice from those of you who have done projects that would allow you to gain experience in these areas.

Sounds like it's a simple matter with minimum of materials needed. I will take this on.

Welsford climbing areas are my second home. When I'm not working, the only place I really want to be is out there on the rocks.

I hope this clears up misunderstandings.

I love our climbing areas and the community and want to give back where I can, be it maintenance or putting up new routes.

Greg wrote:

Andrew

Eastern White Cedar decking is best (5/4 by 4 inches wide) as it last longer and isn't treated with toxic shite. Buy local - there is a small mill near Brown's Flat. Use 2 1/2 inch galvanized ardox nails. They will hold longer and not rust for a long time.

BTW - I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for money from the club to pay for the materials.
Andrew

Postby Adam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:18 pm

- bolt on farewell to arms anchor - Adam
- scramble to lower dawn - Norfolk
- fix bridges - Andrew
- painting route names - Mark
- Waterfall Layback - Liam
- Wild E Coyote et al on Upper Tier - Dom

up for grabs:
- fix signage
- cave to striated
- cave to waterfall wall

:?: :?: put anchors in? anyone have objections? :?: :?:
Wild E Coyote
About A Rope
Sweet Potato Pie
Adam

Postby STeveA » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 am

I will replace the bolts on the Loony Tunes wall. The old ones are looking pretty rusty.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:10 pm

I dunno if they've allready been done, but I'll front the hardwear for rebolting the anchors for flight (or ride, whatever) of the Valkeries. Im probably not going to be able to get up there for the cleaning weekend, but if someone wouldn't mind, I'll get the hardwear to them X2 for their effort. (not sure who P. Lloyd is, or even if he's still alive, but if someone can give me deets I'll see if he minds. Otherwise, a couple of shots of single malt on the ground and community ok should do).
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby anderfo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Matt Peck wrote:not sure who P. Lloyd is, or even if he's still alive, but if someone can give me deets I'll see if he minds.

Pink Lloyd? Never heard of him..
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby Adam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

anchors/re-bolting

(have seen no objection to these as of yet - speak up if you do!)
Wild E Coyote - (Norfolk)
About A Rope - (Norfolk)
Sweet Potato Pie - (Norfolk)
flight of the valkyries - (made possible thru contribution by Woody)
farewell to arms - (Adam)

rebolting
loony toons wall - (Steve)
Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:01 am

Norfolk, do you think you'll need tools/materials for lower dawn approach? ie a saw and sledge or do you have these sequestered already?
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 am

Adam wrote:Wild E Coyote - (Norfolk)
About A Rope - (Norfolk)

-Wild E. Coyote is not me.
-About a Rope isn't sure yet. Trying to contact FA for now.
- Sweet Potato Pie also trying to contact FA for now.

About tools... I'm not actually sure what I need. I've never done trail work before so I'm open to suggestion. I'd like to use in-situ materials so I'll likely bring a foldable saw and possibly a shovel. Suggestions are welcome. Also... help for the lower Dawn trail welcome.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am

oops... duly noted and fixed.

anyone interested in helping Chris with this trail remediation?

anchors

(have seen no objection to these as of yet - speak up if you do!)
Wild E Coyote - (Dom)
About A Rope - (Norfolk)
flight of the valkyries - (made possible thru contribution by Woody)
farewell to arms - (Adam)

rebolting
loony toons wall - (Steve)
Adam

Postby Dom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:29 am

Chris I can help you as I had suggested it... I have a small treeplanting shovel that I think will work wonders to dig out a drainage. Marty is going to join us too. I shouldn't speak on his behalf but I'm doing it anyways :twisted:...
After that I will go clean a few routes at Upper Tier...(any suggestions other than Wild E Coyote?) If not Marty and I will find some for sure.

Also, it seems like there is a lack of volunteers...
Come on people, this cliff gives so much...One day a year to give back is not much!!!
I'll do my part on trying to convince the Moncton crowd to come but I think a propaganda campaign should def. be done in St John and in Freddy as well...
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks Dom.

I will rally in Fredericton. Is the date set?

Nov 6-7th . Going twice.....
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:12 am

I'll probably make it out. I've been wanting to clean both pitches of Fandango so might tackle that. Depends how ambitious I feel that day.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New Brunswick