Cold tears

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Cold tears

Postby *ND* » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:43 am

This year was the first time we went to the bouldering site in the UNB woodlot. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to clean up around there or if it just gets the same amount of garbage left there every year? It's obvious that enough people that don't really seem to care about the overalll appearance of the place go there to drink. There's so many bottles and garbage it's crazy. It's such a beautiful spot with the stream and moss and trees growing down over the rock, not to mention the climbing, that it really seemed a shame to see it like that. I've been there a few times and have never run into anyone there so am thinking maybe it's just sort of ignored? It's to bad about the paint all over the big overhanging rock when you first come in too.

*ND*

Re: Cold tears

Postby Nihoa » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 am

the woodlot gets visited by climbers once in a blue moon and most of what you are seeing is from people who visit the area for altogether diff reasons. most folk that check it out dont end up heading back out on account of the climbing not being great and maybe if there were more climbers heading out on a regular basis some of the mess might get cleaned up.
Nihoa

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 am

I've climbed at the Woodlot on many occasions. It's a great little spot. It's sickening to see the new blue spray paint on Yahkuza.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *ND* » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:51 am

Yea I was thinking about going out some afternoon and trying to clean up at least some of the bottles and stuff. I knew it wouldn't have been the local climbers that were trashing the area, just some people that were looking for a secluded place to burn stuff and drink I guess. The kids went out there with my husband and I one day and I was more worried about them stepping on glass then hurting themselves trying to climb the boulders! It would probably take and afternoon or two to get the place up to par. Maybe if it was it would get more use. There's lots of routes labeled there.
*ND*

Postby martha » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:51 am

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for the club to take some climbers out for an 'outdoor day' in the woodlot sometime this fall. Why not organize something like this and have everyone pack out a bag of garbage. send them out with nut tools and brushes to get rid of lichen on classic problems and lots of garbage bags.

could be fun. I'm with Fred, the woodlot has a few classic problems and can be a lot of fun for an afternoon for beginners and others too. :) What a shame to see Yakuza all painted like that. :(
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Holly Reid » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 pm

The paint must be relatively new as Liam and I were out earlier this year and it was clean then (rephrase: non-painted - still plenty of dirt, haha). There are some fun little problems there for sure but it definitely doesn't see much (climbing) traffic.
Holly Reid

Postby Leehammer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:25 pm

You are thinking of the other roof Holly. That one has been painted for quite some time. Personally I don't mind the paint as much as broken bottles, that really irks me.

I'd had thoughts of trying to organize a club event to clean up the area as well as some of the routes which are unclimbable. Stay posted.
Leehammer

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Still lots of light out this time of year that we could plan an evening session. Every person cleans a problem and we all pick up garbage.

How about next Wednesday night?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *ND* » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:10 pm

I think that would be a great idea. I'm not part of the local club but wouldn't mind lending a hand if it was during a time I wasn't working. My daughter really liked it there, it was the first place she could climb real rock because we could always reach her (she's only 7). Plus I think it would be a cool place to build a sort of snow cave in the winter down into some of the really sheltered places. Would be fun. Funner without the risk of cutting yourself on glass for sure!
*ND*

Postby Leehammer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:30 am

I won't be able to make it next Wednesday, but I can certainly promote the event at the general meeting, which is on Tuesday. Otherwise, if you want to push it to the following week, I can be there.

Let me know.
Leehammer

Return to New Brunswick