Fundy

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Fundy

Postby Michelle » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Is there any climbing/bouldering to be had down around fundy national park at all? I haven't heard anyone mention anything down there but I thought I would check.
Michelle
Michelle

Postby Fred » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:15 pm

You might find a few boulders to play on along the "Upper Salmon" hiking trail between the "Forks" and "Moosehorn" hiking trails. The trail is no longer shown on park maps because there must have been a liability issue with that area. But just follow the river. It's pretty rugged rock hopping for your average Joe. The problem is that you probably don't want to lug a crashpad or gear way in there. The up side is that the swimming holes are absolutely amazing. The best I've ever seen. Have fun. At minimum you should do the Laverty-Salmon-Moosehorn Loop. It's quite nice but you won't find much for bouldering there. The bouldering would be further down towards between Moosehorn and Forks along the Upper Salmon.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:05 pm

Michelle,

As Fred mentioned there is some stuff to play on on the upper salmon, a bunch of problems were put up on the lower part of the river. If you follow the trail from the back end of "headquarters" campground you'll eventually (5 or 10 mins) come to the river, I believe there was one smaller boulder before having to cross the river and several more larger ones up further on the other side. These are deffinately not worth making the drive for but if you're going to be in the area it can be fun especially since they're right on the river. I heard a rumor that there were boulders towards point wolfe but did not get a chance to check it out, they are supposedly in the woods so I'm not sure what the cleaning policy would be for a national park :wink: . I also believe there is some top-ropable stuff at Kinney brook, but i'm unsure of the quality.

Have fun
Scott

Postby Fred » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:19 pm

There's definitely nothing worth while at Kinney Brook. Take my word for it. :)

The boulders that Scott talked about on the Upper Salmon are down by Alma I think. I've never seen them but Scott has climbed them. The ones I'm talking about are about 15kms up River (the same river). You would park at the Laverty Falls parking area and do the hiking trails I mentioned. Take photos and keep an eye out way above for drips. I suspect there might be potential for ice climbing in the steep gorge of the Upper Salmon between "Moosehorn" and "The Forks". Good luck.

chow
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Michelle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:28 am

Excellent Guys... I will check those out when I am down there... and I'll take photos for sure :)
Michelle
Michelle

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:05 pm

Hey Michelle, there are a couple of boulder problems out at point wolf, but the few that do exist can only be reached on the beach at low tide, and they are kinda sketchy or easy. I'd go with the upper Salmon river stuff, there is also a little bit that can be reached at low tide on a nice day in Goose River, but this is also a little sketch. There are some mean sloper problems that are worn smooth by the tide. But it's not worth the walk just for the bouldering.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Michelle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Excellent Thanks Matt!!!
Michelle
Michelle

Fundy

Postby shannon » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:39 pm

Michelle,

I was down to Fundy in February, and was doing a small bit of ice climbing at the Dickson falls. I figure the rock face there had enough features that it could be climbed. Probably around 15 feet worth.

I have the link I posted there. Check it out.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat= ... l&val=1537

shannon Burt
PEI
shannon

Return to New Brunswick