Thaw out the cochrane ln book

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Thaw out the cochrane ln book

Postby Deezydog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Took a hike in this past sunday. Book was frozen shut.lol Found a little space on the last page.
Absolutely beautiful day. Snow on the the ground, warm temps and bluebird skies:) No one else there? My concern is though, when the temps got a little higher, some ice started melting/falling. We managed to find some dry routes and good climbing but I'm wondering if anyone has some info on any known hazardous areas to avoid this time of year with the freezing and melting. Large chunks of ice that might come down? A helmet only goes so far.lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not willing to give up on the season yet, but I'd rather not be impaled by a large chunk of ice.
-Scotty
Deezydog

Re: Thaw out the cochrane ln book

Postby *Chris* » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi Scotty.
Glad to hear the book's full. I'll pick it up this weekend and drop a new one off. It's safe to say that at this time of year you should be prepared for falling anything, just about anywhere. The hazard can't really be predicted but look to the ground at the base of your climb. Fresh rock fall or ice fall will be evident. I'll be out aid climbing this weekend... that season is just starting.
*Chris*

Postby Stacey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Deezydog wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has some info on any known hazardous areas to avoid this time of year with the freezing and melting. -Scotty

hmmm...frostbite (that is what my fingers were feeling today out on the rock today in Kingston)....
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Dom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:53 am

Stacey wrote: hmmm...frostbite (that is what my fingers were feeling today out on the rock today in Kingston)....

Did you have hand warmers in your chalk bag? (You can even double or triple 'em up)

People laugh when I say that but it really works!!! It's definitely possible to climb year round in the maritimes.

Sun is also a big factor. I'll take -2 and sunny over +4 and cloudy. The sun warms up the rock... a lot!
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Stacey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Dom wrote:
Stacey wrote: hmmm...frostbite (that is what my fingers were feeling today out on the rock today in Kingston)....

Did you have hand warmers in your chalk bag? (You can even double or triple 'em up)

People laugh when I say that but it really works!!! It's definitely possible to climb year round in the maritimes.

Sun is also a big factor. I'll take -2 and sunny over +4 and cloudy. The sun warms up the rock... a lot!

I had crappy hand warmers (but I did try it in the chalk bag)... and you are right - the sun is the essential part of the equation....it was sporatic yesterday so way cooler...
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Deezydog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Chris,
Not sure if the books is actually full of entries, but it was simply frozen shut. I tried to open it but probably would have destroyed it in doing so. The back cover opened so I wrote there. Maybe some sort of moisture-proof container, or space age writing material would help? lol Any ideas?
Deezydog

Return to New Brunswick