This Winter and Ice Climbing gear help...

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

This Winter and Ice Climbing gear help...

Postby j.root » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Hey!
I have met some of you, but would like to meet all of you!
I seem to always be in and out of New Brunswick, but I am sticking around for the winter! So as of now, I am unemployed and a little bored, so if you are looking to do something, anything, give me a call. 6458554.

I am in the process of looking at ice climbing gear and trying to do it on a budget, the biggest hurdle seems to be boots, what is required in terms of footwear? it seems the boots are all like 350$+? can crampons be fitted onto stiff hiking boots/ski boots to start?

Last but not least, grivel x monsters, seem to be a dream come true for the price?

Cheers,

Jon
j.root

Re: This Winter and Ice Climbing gear help...

Postby tintanium » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm

I've got the x-monsters and like them very much. Same pick as the much more expensive Grivel tools, and tons of grip options. Recent experience has shown them to be great dry toolers, too.
tintanium

Postby Dom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:19 pm

j.root wrote:I am in the process of looking at ice climbing gear and trying to do it on a budget, the biggest hurdle seems to be boots, what is required in terms of footwear? it seems the boots are all like 350$+? can crampons be fitted onto stiff hiking boots/ski boots to start?

Hey Jon.
Mec Gearswap is your friend. I paid 90$ for my first pair of used moutaineering/ ice climbing boots this year.
http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_main.jsp?page=gearswap&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396038596&bmLocale=en
I used them for the first time today at Parlee Brook and they worked awesome.

BTW 3 amigos was led by Marty today but I don't dare to make an ice report as I have very little experience in that discipline.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby j.root » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks guys,

Yeah that gear swap is awesome, I found a pair of Salomon Super Mountain 9s for 120$, and will probably order those grivels soon! getting stoked
j.root

Postby Andrew » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 am

J.Root:

I have a pair of Super Mountain 9s. I like them very much. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

j.root wrote:Thanks guys,

Yeah that gear swap is awesome, I found a pair of Salomon Super Mountain 9s for 120$, and will probably order those grivels soon! getting stoked
Andrew

Return to New Brunswick