Good route for kids in Welsford?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Good route for kids in Welsford?

Postby sputnik » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:01 am

I want to take my son out on some real rock for the first time. Does anyone have suggestions on a good and easy route at Welsford suitable for a 7 year old? I'm thinking that the easier the better so that he can get some confidence.

Weather permitting I'm going to go Thursday evening. If anyone with similar aged kids wants to come along let me know.

Cheers,

--Andrew
sputnik

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 am

I'd be all over that dad but I don't have kids yet. Give me a few months and I'm there for sure.

Go to the lookout and set a toprope. It's the best introductory climbing for kids. There is a monster tree for your anchor. The lookout is directly opposite Pyramid Wall. You can't miss it.

cheers
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 am

Hey Andrew,

I took my nephew (was 10 at the time) on It's a Way of Life. the only thing is, that when you set it up, it would be best to rappell down and put a directional on the tree for the climbing end of the rope so that your son doesn't go for a ride if he slips off.

I found it help him to have another rope set up on Snake peel just next to it so that I could climb up beside him and help him along at first.

another pretty easy route is 'mental floss' on exfoliated wall. Easy set up (huge tree) and nice and sheltered so not at all scary.

Another option is just to set up a top rope at the Look out. You and I could walk up it, but for a child, it might be a good place to start. I've seen parents take their kids there before.

Send George Porter an email, He might be up for taking Mark out (Mark is 6 I think)

Be aware that the bugs are bad, so have bug spray and a bug net ready.

Have a great time!!!
I'm out of town this week, but any other time, I'd love to come with you and help with your kids. :)

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby martha » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 am

Fred wrote:I'd be all over that dad but I don't have kids yet. Give me a few months and I'm there for sure.

cheers

It will take more than a 'few' months for them to be big enough to climb!!!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:50 am

no no

we'll put them in a pig haul bag and get them used to the heights at an early stage
Fred
Site Admin

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:32 am

Cara i got to say that i support fred here, but remember it take two, one to belay and one to lead. lol
Climb on
Luke
Yeah I can just dyno, at the very top and I don't really get so scared.
You don’t really realize so much how high you are, and then you fall.
lukelovesclimbin

Postby sputnik » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:00 am

The lookout sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try.

We survived the bugs at Beaver camp at Yoho lake last weekend so I think we can survive anything now! They were crazy! (and the bugs were bad too!)

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers.

--Andrew
sputnik

Postby Brent » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:19 pm

7 is very young for climbing. Border wall would be an OK choice at Cochrane Lane but I would recommend Bald Peak. It's The Way of Life is probably a bad idea because of the swing. It would also be difficult to lower him if he doesn't go all the way to the top. It will be better to put him on things too easy rather than to difficult. Have fun.

Cheers
Brent

Postby Fred » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:37 pm

I agree with Brent.

i really think you should start off with the Lookout and go from there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:28 pm

Brent wrote:7 is very young for climbing. Border wall would be an OK choice at Cochrane Lane but I would recommend Bald Peak. It's The Way of Life is probably a bad idea because of the swing. It would also be difficult to lower him if he doesn't go all the way to the top. It will be better to put him on things too easy rather than to difficult. Have fun.

Cheers

brent, do you have any suggestions for Fred and I taking our kids up in a haul bag when too young to climb? heheeh. :)

martha

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:57 pm

i know you didn't ask me, but fred has the right idea, get them used to height and all. they will be climbin' 5.11 when there are 11 lol
Climb on
Luke
lukelovesclimbin

Postby mitchleblanc » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:05 pm

lukelovesclimbin wrote:i know you didn't ask me, but fred has the right idea, get them used to height and all. they will be climbin' 5.11 when there are 11 lol
Climb on
Luke

Actually, by the time they are 11 they'll probably be climbing a hell of a lot harder than that... Well, at least if they get to climbing in areas with hard stuff.

Not that I approve in any way of young kids training for hard climbing.
mitchleblanc

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:37 pm

if they are just climbing, and not training and the progress their skills to the point that then can climb at that level, the i'll back em 110%
Climb on
Luke
lukelovesclimbin

Postby mitchleblanc » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:18 am

Climbing messes heavily with joint growth (plates?) inside the fingers. In children who climb too hard this part (whatever it is) can come detached from the bone itself.. can cause some major issues. Have a read through that climbing injuries book where the show a chopped off finger with tendon attached.. Anyway, I can't remember much of it, but I do remember reading it and thinking I will not train kids, or let them climb seroiusly until they are old(er).
mitchleblanc

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 am

define older. like 15, 16ish?
Luke
lukelovesclimbin

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:20 am

lukelovesclimbin wrote:define older. like 15, 16ish?
Luke

LOL. Poor Luke's probably sitting there all worried like he's wrekin his hands. I'm sure you're past the danger zone dude. Mitch was crankin 5.12 by the time he was your age and he doesn't suck that bad now.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:22 am

lol, fred i could care less if i'm wreckin my hands, as long as i can move my fingers i'm climbing, as long as i'm climbing i'm happy so i'm going to climb until i can't climb anymore
CLIMB on
Luke
lukelovesclimbin

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:52 am

Naw Man, Bad attitude.
I didn't climb too smart when I started out and I now have to put up with bone fragments in some of my finger joints. It certainly affects how I climb, especially according to difficulty. It also is something I have to pay attention to in other activities, or it gets very painful. Climb Smart, so you will be able to climb hard when you're an old geezer like Fred.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Fred » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:01 pm

Matt Peck wrote:an old geezer like Fred.

hey now :D
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:56 pm

Pretty much all sports can be hard on developing bodies. That's why when kids are young you don't want them stressing their joints. In judo children aren't allowed to use submission such as arm bars and chokes because of it being hard on their joints -- there are other reasons too but this is the main reason.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't climb etc. They should, but you have to be careful about what you make them do.

Diifferent age groups also have different goals for sports and understanding of what their goals should be.

Younger kid i'd say under 13 for the most part really shouldn't be worried so much about structure in their sports training. They should be worried about having fun and buidling their skills. Coached on proper technique, not no getting to the next level unless they physically can do it.

Again this isn't for all kids as some are more natural at sports the others. Its just important to consider what the child is after.

While not a climbing example one reason that has been cited for Brazil's fall from the top of the soccer world is that their development system has become too structured. Kids don't spend enough time playing on their own with friends, developing ball handling skills.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:18 pm

at our place we're gona have a long 2x4 nailed over the dinning room entrance where we'll hang the kids up after supper while we do dishes. LOL

can you imagine seeing three or four little bodies all in a row hanging in discipline. hehe
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Richard Eh! » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:19 pm

So Luke, you gotta give those poor hands a break and work a little more on your "ball handling"...? :twisted:
Richard Eh!

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:28 pm

"ball handling" dude i'll leave that to you lol
lukelovesclimbin

Return to New Brunswick