Peregrines in Cheekbone Area

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Peregrines in Cheekbone Area

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 am

Yesterday I observed a female peregrine falcon sitting on the ledge in Cheekbone Corner that was previously used last year as a nest. I assume the same ledge will be used again this year as a nest. I will be informing CFB Gagetown that the Cheekbone Corner area will be closed to climbing again this summer, starting now until 1 August, at which time the chicks have usually fledged. I also investigated the L-Shape area where the birds had been active two weeks ago, however yesterday there were no birds present. I suspect the birds may have been exploring the cliff, but decided to settle down on Cheekbone.

The closed areas will be the same as last year, including: The Amphitheater, Cheekbone Corner, and Pooh Corner. I expect Range Control with CFB Gagetown will erect signs and maps of the closed areas.

In the past the NB climbing community has been very cooperative in respecting the climbing closure and the nesting peregrines. This website is effective in transferring this information to the "regular" climbers, however it does not reach everyone. If any of you observe climbers in the closed area, please inform them of the closure and the reason, and that Range Patrol will be enforcing the closure with random foot patrols. Respecting this closure not only benefits an endangered species, but also strengthens our relationship with CFB Gagetown, the landowner who we want to keep happy in order to maintain our access to the cliff.

Thanks to all for your cooperation,
Joe Kennedy. DNR Biologist.
Joe

Re: Peregrines in Cheekbone Area

Postby cory » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Joe,

Do you think range control (or whoever places the signage) could remove the signs and barrier tape at the end of the nesting season this year? In the past these have been left to decay (or removal by climbers?) which aside from the aesthetic/trash issues lessens the impact of current closures. If these visual markers are rightfully ignored 9 months of the year, they are likely to be wrongfully ignored for the 3 months they apply.

Just my thoughts/ constructive suggestions.
cory

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 am

Yeah Cory, I agree. Last fall I removed what seemed like several kilometers of warning tape, and I didn't get it all. I have asked the Gagetown biologist to request that Range Patrol not use tape this year, however there is no guarantee that they will follow the request. They are an independent lot. However I'll take responsibility to clean up after them.
Joe

Postby theriault » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 am

Joe,

As I am part of this "Big Green Machine", I'll help you when its time to clean up!
Marty
theriault

Postby cory » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Thank you both.
I don't mind bagging out a load either, if that's the way they want it done.
cory

Postby Burley » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Joe,

I have gear in the Amphitheater - in the rock. I will go in tomorrow and get it - I can't leave it there for the summer. I'll be quiet and alone. I won't be able to get it on rap due to the overhang. I'll go regardless of the weather.

One day grace would be excellent.

I will also grab the white marker tape and whatever else I find up top if it isn't raining - there a bunch that Norfolk saw around.

Erick
Burley

Postby *Chris* » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Yep. I packed out a bunch of old barrier tape they left at the top of the ampitheatre but without a knife there was a pile I couldn't get. Take a knife with ya.
*Chris*

Return to New Brunswick