Munson Lake Boulders

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Munson Lake Boulders

Postby keaysm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Finally got dragged onto these forums...

Mark and I did some searching around Munson Lake yesterday for the boulders people have been talking about lately. This place has a ton of potential... we spent probably 4 or 5 hours walking around through the woods and managed to find at least a dozen quality boulders. The majority of the ones we found were in or near the edges of clear-cuts, so we're thinking that we've barely scratched the surface on what is hidden in these woods.

I brought the GPS out and recorded the coordinates for all of the ones worth climbing. Check them out, along with some pictures, on this Google Map:
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie= ... 38581&z=15

Full size pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keaysm/set ... 665035430/

Thought I would share to try to get more people out searching and cleaning.
keaysm

Re: Munson Lake Boulders

Postby david » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Nice! How was the road? Is it dry enough to take a car out? I'm game for some scrubbing.
david

Postby keaysm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Ya, at least the road on the east side of the lake is fine. I would imagine the rest is as well.
keaysm

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Nice work kids!

I must admit, they are much bigger than I imagined.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby cory » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Started both ends of the loop trail around the Cornerstones today. Did some scrubbing, and found some new lines there. Also found another big boulder in the woods and exposed it a bit. It'll have at least 4 problems.

It was very dry, especially considering this past weeks saturation. Dryer than the fall. Even the permanent puddle under the overhanging crack was 1/3 it's usual size. It was possible to standing start it. :)

The West road was fine in a Versa. Had to drop into 1st to get past a culvert (just past the bridge) that partially washed out. In a truck/jeep it'd be a non-issue. I plan to shovel some gravel in the hole next visit. High clearance is still needed to get beyond the West clear cut.
cory

Postby travisrthomas » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:23 pm

im always up for lending a hand let me know when you are making the next trip up!!
travisrthomas

Postby keaysm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 pm

I went out again today as well. Fixed up a few spots on the east road so you can drive pretty much up to the boulders. Lots of new finds as well, no end to these boulders! I'll update the map in the morning. New pictures up...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keaysm/set ... 665035430/
keaysm

Postby Burley » Mon May 02, 2011 8:22 am

I don't know how much climbing traffic the area will see. However, two things:

1. People have been tossing trash on the ground here for a long time. This is a beautiful area and not everyone treats it as they should - it could use your help. This is my back yard - I live here and play here.

2. Warning - Either stay out of the area during hunting season (Sep 20th until the end of Nov) or be very careful and wear blaze orange. People hunt moose and deer in this area and have for a very long time. Some people "hunt" very close to the road with guns drawn - be safe. No reason the area can't be shared, but not all will share my point of view.

The woods beyond the cuts are home to more boulders and few hunters.

Nice to see that there are people climbing in there.

Burley
Burley

Postby Burley » Mon May 02, 2011 8:27 am

And if anyone needs a chainsaw and a hand cleaning just drop me a line... I live just down the road. 343-7420.

Burley
Burley

Postby cory » Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Good points, Burley.
Two moose were seen on Wednesday, and at least half a dozen partridge on Friday. There are blinds and tree stands all over the area for shooting at anything that might ever so remotely resemble 'game'.

And a big THANK YOU to Burley for stumbling onto this find and sharing it with us in the first place!
cory

Postby Burley » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 am

When in the area and looking for a place to sleep... Welcome to crash at our place (Burley and Rosie's) if it works for my boss (Rosie) and Everyone is always welcome to camp at our place any time... no need to call.

Directions: From Munson head back towards Saint John on Route 1 for 5 minutes and take the exit for Musquash. Turn left at the top of the ramp and go north across the overpass. Drive for about ~200 meters and turn right. Drive for ~50 meters and turn right onto the gravel driveway. House has a red roof and there is a red barn beside it. Climbing wall will be ready by fall. House number is 52, but you won't be able to miss it. There is a water tap in the back of the house... setup anywhere.

There are more boulders. Keep hunting.
Burley

Postby cory » Sun May 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Rained out again! But I did explore a bit and do some road repairs on Sat. My Versa drove to the far North (via West road) without problems, but I parked at that last intersection and footed it back to Eros. That last stretch was soggy with some big rocks protruding. A truck drove past me there no problems. West road is better than East, but a loaded compact can make either without dings if you drive carefully.

The main dirt road is being graded, so the potholes are gone, but the surface is very rough with gravel, so the first 6Km will be a bit slow until it gets compacted.

I've updated the map. Only a couple of new things found, but got a better idea of the location of some of what Graham Nathan & I found in the early winter. There are many others in this hourglass-shaped cut and in between; some quite notable, but I don't think I can be accurate enough to place or describe them at this time. Get out there with a couple brushes and pads... you will not be disappointed!

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?client=sa ... 28582&z=15
cory

Postby cory » Sun May 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Oh, and the driver of that truck told me to be careful, because he was out there bear baiting. Not sure if he meant be careful of the bears or of him. He didn't disclose the exact locations (and I didn't see any) but he said "a bunch, all through this area". It is bear season April 18-June 25.
cory

Postby GKelly » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14 pm

You cats are awfully hard on hunters. Holy crow. I was taught to hunt at a young age and am very greatfull for that. It gave me a huge respect for the environment and where my food comes from. Keep in mind this is the case for at least 80 per cent of the hunters out there. Unfortunately there are always the jerky 20 per cent. Anyway. in regards to the boulders. Sounds pretty awsome. Nice find.
Greg,
GKelly

Postby cory » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm

It was taking forever to dry out, so I explored a bit today and swatted black flies each time I stopped moving. Came across countless small things, but only one big one. I ate lunch atop Kingpin with just enough breeze to keep the flies away. Then I cleaned and swatted black flies. Then I put up a new problem (Curvy Trunk Cedar) despite the very high humidity. Then I cleaned and swatted some more flies. Then I put up another new one (Big Ern) despite the ever-growing cloud of flies. No bites, just frustrating swarming and burrowing, but I'd had enough for one day. Updated the map already.
cory

Postby Nihoa » Mon May 23, 2011 7:57 pm

munson season is now closed unless you breathe flies instead of air!
Nihoa

Postby Adam » Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 am

Nihoa wrote:munson season is now closed unless you breathe flies instead of air!

bug nets. :D
Adam

Postby STeveA » Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 am

Nihoa wrote:munson season is now closed unless you breathe flies instead of air!

DDT
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Return to New Brunswick