Garbage at Cochrane Lane

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Garbage at Cochrane Lane

Postby Adam » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:00 am

Hey all

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6943203&l=b17660af9d&id=518333804

We found quite a bit of trash up at the Exfoliated campsite yesterday. Somehow I doubt whoever left it there reads this forum, but just in case...

Leaving any garbage behind is unacceptable. Pack out what you packed in. To not do so shows utter disrespect for your environment, and for the other people that make these areas a part of their lives. We are lucky to have CL and our other crags.

Show some maturity and clean up after yourselves.
Adam

Re: Garbage at Cochrane Lane

Postby Dom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:17 pm

20+ half-burnt Military rations and lots more crap were all over the Exfoliated campsite today. Packed out 2 sobey's bags out. This pisses me off.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Adam » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 am

Dom wrote:20+ half-burnt Military rations and lots more crap were all over the Exfoliated campsite today. Packed out 2 sobey's bags out. This pisses me off.

well we know who it is now... nice of them to take care of their property! did you take a pic? would be good to show the COs.
Adam

Postby Dom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Adam wrote:well we know who it is now... nice of them to take care of their property! did you take a pic? would be good to show the COs.

We hiked 2 of these out:

They're the landowners. Might be a bad idea to start telling them what to do as we're the visitors here...My 0.02$
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Dom... in this case, I agree with you. I think you've done the correct thing by cleaning it up. Garbage multiplies if left in place. You've set the correct example.

It's curious though. When we were packing up last Sunday night we spoke to a group of millitary folks at that spot finishing up a basic rap course. I don't recall seeing garbage from that group. Must have been during the week.
*Chris*

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:28 pm

My $0.02: I'd like to see the fire pit cleaned up as well. As much as I'd like to have fires myself it's my understanding that they are not permitted. That forest is tinder dry almost year round.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:47 am

Dom wrote:They're the landowners. Might be a bad idea to start telling them what to do as we're the visitors here...My 0.02$

no, the military is the landowner, not the soldiers. we have a land use agreement with them but doesn't mean we can't suggest to them that they behave like their mothers would expect them to and clean up after themselves. this is twice in a month that we've carried their trash out for them. unacceptable.
Adam

Postby jeremy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

my wife works with the people who do the rapelling courses and she said some climbers told them to remove their fixed lines. The military people where not impressed that climbers told them what to do on their property. Lets just clean up the garbage and not make a big deal about it or they may refuse access. The course i'm talking about was for cadets (kids). The supervision must have been lacking.
jeremy

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm

jeremy wrote:my wife works with the people who do the rapelling courses and she said some climbers told them to remove their fixed lines. The military people where not impressed that climbers told them what to do on their property. Lets just clean up the garbage and not make a big deal about it or they may refuse access. The course i'm talking about was for cadets (kids). The supervision must have been lacking.

I didn't TELL them to do anything. I asked them if the rope was theirs, and if they would take it down when they were done with it. They said it had been up since last season for use on just a couple weekends? Have you seen the ropes Jeremy? They extend from the top of exfoliated and go all the way down around to Sleeping Beauty. They repeatedly cross the trail so you're constantly ducking under it. It's an eyesore and really unnecessary to leave behind. Apparently, it was there to guide the 12 year olds back up the hill to the top of the cliff. That's great - no problem, but the rope should leave when the 12 year olds do.

Perhaps if they were told to remove the rope they would have thought to remove their garbage as well.
Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

maybe I came off a little too blunt - I'm known for that... but I tried to frame the thought of removing the rope in the spirits of leave no trace. Maybe that part wasn't passed on to their superiors.
Adam

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:01 pm

On a technicality... are the cadets not a independent civilian group that is funded by the Canadian military?

just curious
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby theriault » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:54 am

I will bring a garbage bag at the Exfoliated camp site on saturday and sunday (02-03) if any one finds some trash, bring it to the camp spot on top of Exfoliated, I'll take it from here....
Marty
theriault

Postby adamjgale » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Folks,

I work with the cadet program and have worked out of Welsford for years. I know in the past there were a couple of issues like lane signs and that left there. If it was our program in running a rappel course that left the garbage there I apologize on behalf of them and have forwarded the link on to the current guy in charge there for the summer to hopefully ensure it doesn't happen again as there will be groups of kids coming out there. Feel free to approach and talk to anyone in uniform and discuss any concerns about ropes or anything with them. Just remember that they will likely inhabit the place for a few days but when they leave there should be NOTHING left behind.

I will take the time and forward a letter of concern to the supervisor of the personnel who ran that course. The cadet program is a good program and should not take a bad name for the mistakes of a few. To those who packed out the garbage thank you and despite it being military land - no one has a right, not even our personnel, to leave this type of mess behind.

Good climbing. Cheers!
adamjgale

Postby Mac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey all,

I was there for that course. Because it was so dark the day we finished, I went back up the next day after work and did a final sweep on my own time (the 20th of June) and everything was left clean. I took down the minimal garbage we left by mistake (couple of gum wrappers btw). If the gentleman in the post went up on the 26th I can say with confidence that it was not the course that left the garbage on the wall. I would like to ask everyone to not assume so quickley when it comes to something/somewhere you enjoy, as it can lead to very bad communication between groups. I'm sure none of you would like to be blamed for every pile of garbage that I find and clean up whenever I go. In fact im sure i've never complained before about all the plastic bottles, beer bottles and garbage ive found after someone has spent the weekend. Lastly, I would like to point out that those rations are public purchase, and any group can get ahold of those rations if they want.

Happy Trails and Best Climbing to all!
Mac

Postby Dom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:25 am

Mac wrote: I would like to ask everyone to not assume so quickley when it comes to something/somewhere you enjoy, as it can lead to very bad communication between groups. I'm sure none of you would like to be blamed for every pile of garbage that I find and clean up whenever I go.

You're right. When I posted those pictures, it wasn't to blame cadets, soldiers or climbers. I just posted them because for the 2nd time in June, the exfoliated campsite was littered with thrash and this pissed me off. I thought that by posting these, it would stop the proliferation of trash on what is an awesome outdoor camping area. Enjoy the climbing and rappelling!
Dom

Return to New Brunswick