Phantom bolter

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Phantom bolter

Postby Dom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 pm

NOBODY PANIC!! :mrgreen:

I was reading up the description for the climb Mummified and it seems there has been a phantom bolter in Cochrane Lane. So I used the search engine on CEC to find out more and all I found was that he was from Moncton.

So what's the story? I'd like to know more. Was there a confrontation? Did he have motives to do this? Did someone piss him/her off? (Although I really doubt this person is a she for some reason). Does this person still climb? (No need for names)
It seems interesting and I'd like to know more.

Funny how a phantom bolter reminds me of a psycho bolt chopper yet they are at two opposite ends of the spectrum. http://www.stopken.org/Home.html
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: Phantom bolter

Postby PeterA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Just a fun anecdote, Dad told me a story about ice climbing a bit with Ken, but at the time he had no idea who he was :P

As for your quest for information, im totally unhelpful

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:42 pm

I called him the phantom bolter because to this day we have no idea who it was. If I said they were from Moncton, that's hearsay. We blamed everything on Moncton climbers back then since we didn't know them. hehe... There was alot less bolting going on at that time and you could pretty much count the number of active bolters on one hand. They placed an anchor on my route without asking. At first this didn't bother me in the least because I like the convenience of bolts. However, someone pointed out to me they were cold shuts which I now know are unsafe. So I chopped and replaced the anchor.

No biggie. Just a misterious anchor appearing without mention.

It was also at the same time a bolt appeared on the bottom of "Up Up & Away".
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Perhaps the better part of this story was the night we went out to chop/replace that anchor. It was spring and the blackflies were like clouds. If you know Fred, you know he was wearing flip-flops. He was covered head to toe otherwise, long sleeves, pants etc… but he had flip flops on. If you could have seen the way he was doing an irish jig to *try* and keep the bugs off his ankles WHILE he was bolting.... He probably had 50 bites on each foot that night. LOL
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to New Brunswick