Cheekbone Area Travel Restriction Removed

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Cheekbone Area Travel Restriction Removed

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:13 am

The Peregrines have fledged 2 chicks during the first week of July. I requested last week that CFB Gagetown remove their Travel Restrictions around the Cheekbone area, so the area is now open. Thank you for your patience and your commitment to protecting these birds. Joe Kennedy.
Joe

Re: Cheekbone Area Travel Restriction Removed

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 am

Music to my ears!

Thanks Joe for your continued work with the base. I will post this notice on the club's website as well.
*Chris*

Postby Dom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:19 am

Awesome!

I still have a nut, a sling and 2 biners up high on Cheekbone corner from when I bailed on the route last February. I won't be around this weekend so if anyone gets there before I do, please grab them and contact me.

Thanks!
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby theriault » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 am

This is Wicked!!! Thanks Joe! and Good luck to the Chicks!!!
Marty
theriault

Postby Greg » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Dom wrote:Awesome!

I still have a nut, a sling and 2 biners up high on Cheekbone corner from when I bailed on the route last February. I won't be around this weekend so if anyone gets there before I do, please grab them and contact me.

Thanks!

I have some bad news for you Dom. The Peregrines cleaned your gear and claimed it as booty. They used the nut as weaponry to dispatch Sparrows. The biners and sling were used to anchor their nest to the top of the cliff. This was key to their success in fledging chicks this year. :lol:
Greg

Postby Stacey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks Joe :D. I like it when wishes are commanded ;-). Great timing

Stacey
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Dom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

Greg wrote:I have some bad news for you Dom. The Peregrines cleaned your gear and claimed it as booty. They used the nut as weaponry to dispatch Sparrows. The biners and sling were used to anchor their nest to the top of the cliff. This was key to their success in fledging chicks this year. :lol:

For some reason, I don't think those birds need weapons to kill their prey.They do pretty good with their speed. :mrgreen:

Wikipedia wrote:The Peregrine Falcon is often stated to be the fastest animal on the planet in its hunting dive, the stoop,[7] which involves soaring to a great height and then diving steeply at speeds commonly said to be over 320 km/h (200 mph), and hitting one wing of its prey so as not to harm itself on impact.[6] The air pressure from a 200 mph (320 km/h) dive could possibly damage a bird's lungs, but small bony tubercles on a falcon's nostrils guide the powerful airflow away from the nostrils, enabling the bird to breathe more easily while diving by reducing the change in air pressure.[48] To protect their eyes, the falcons use their nictitating membranes (third eyelids) to spread tears and clear debris from their eyes while maintaining vision. A study testing the flight physics of an "ideal falcon" found a theoretical speed limit at 400 km/h (250 mph) for low altitude flight and 625 km/h (390 mph) for high altitude flight.[49] In 2005, Ken Franklin recorded a falcon stooping at a top speed of 389 km/h (242 mph).[50]
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Return to New Brunswick