Looking for climbing partner in Fredericton Thanksgiving Wee

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Looking for climbing partner in Fredericton Thanksgiving Wee

Postby JoeDan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:45 pm

New to the sport in the past year, have climbed Kamouraska and climbing walls in Bathurst, have all my gear for top roping, down visiting family for the weekend, and my days are free.
Looking for more experience,

email me at bat.night@hotmail.com if you're free and want to climb some afternoon this weekend
JoeDan

Re: Looking for climbing partner in Fredericton Thanksgiving Wee

Postby austinconrad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:46 pm

You available on Friday?
austinconrad

Postby JoeDan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

climb650 wrote:You available on Friday?

No, only getting there Friday evening. The mornings of Saturday, Sunday, or Monday are my only free times, I've got family things in the evenings.
JoeDan

Postby austinconrad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I might be able to Monday if you where still interested. How much expereince do you have? I'm quite new myself.
austinconrad

Postby JoeDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 am

climb650 wrote:I might be able to Monday if you where still interested. How much expereince do you have? I'm quite new myself.

Sounds good, great way to end the weekend. As we're both new to the sport, probably best we stick to top roping. Do you happen to know of any outdoor routes, or did you have access to an indoor wall? I believe UNB will be closed then.
JoeDan

Postby Stacey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 am

There are some great spots at Cochrane Lane in Welsford that have easy access for top-roping...
ie. Joe's Garage...

If you don't already have a guide book, you can pick one up at Radical Edge in Fredericton.

Stacey
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby JoeDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:49 am

Stacey wrote:There are some great spots at Cochrane Lane in Welsford that have easy access for top-roping...
ie. Joe's Garage...

If you don't already have a guide book, you can pick one up at Radical Edge in Fredericton.

Stacey

Thanks Stacey,
I appreciate the info, and will definitely do so.
JoeDan

Postby JoeDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 am

Until I get the guide book, anyone know of any outdoor routes with easy access to the top in or directly around the Fredericton area?
JoeDan

Postby Caldsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm

JoeDan wrote:Until I get the guide book, anyone know of any outdoor routes with easy access to the top in or directly around the Fredericton area?

The closest place to climb around Fredericton would be Cochrane Lane (Stacey already mentioned). Joe's garage has an easy access scramble to the top and there are some fun routes you can TR there (about 4 or 5 routes all using about 3 different anchors anything from 5.4's to 5.9s). Pyramid Wall also found in Cochrane Lane has another couple of routes that you can scramble to the top and set up TR as well (5.6 and 5.9 I believe).

If you see a Tan color Westfalia at Cochrane Lane (should be there Saturday morning until Sunday night), my wife and I will be climbing with a couple of friends. We will also be climbing one of those days at Sunnyside (also in Welsford but a different Crag).

You should definately pick up a Hand Book at Radical...well worth the $30! It'll tell you how to get to the crags and what routes can be access from the top to set up Anchors etc.

Good luck!
Caldsy

Postby JoeDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks again everyone, myself and a small group of people just started climbing in Bathurst (we just got our first indoor wall at the college) so any and all info is useful and appreciated. We're a humble group, but look at progressing over the long term. I just started a Facebook group (don't know if your allowed to mention that word on here) so feel free to look up ' New Brunswick climbers' and drop us a line. Come next year, we plan on touring around the maritimes and Quebec, enjoying the sport. The more the merrier....
JoeDan

Postby JoeDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 pm

climb650 wrote:I might be able to Monday if you where still interested. How much expereince do you have? I'm quite new myself.

So, seems we'd have to go alil ways out of town to climb on Monday, you down? You got gear right?
JoeDan

Postby austinconrad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Yes I would defedently be down for climbing on Monday. I have all my own gear (ie draws, harness, shoes, ATC etc) but I don't have a rope or enough anchor gear for top roping. I have a freind coming along as well and he has a rope and enough gear for anchor building. I would be able to go around 8:30-9:00 to Cochrane Lane and I have the guide book :)
austinconrad

Postby austinconrad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm

JoeDan wrote:

So, seems we'd have to go alil ways out of town to climb on Monday, you down? You got gear right?

ya It's only liek 45 mins away from Fredericton. I've been there a few times.
austinconrad

Postby JoeDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:18 pm

climb650 wrote:"JoeDan" wrote: "climb650" wrote: I might be able to Monday if you where still interested. How much expereince do you have? I'm quite new myself.

ya It's only liek 45 mins away from Fredericton. I've been there a few times.

Sounds great! Why not go to the facebook group like I wrote about above, and we'll swap info and set up the details. Don't feel like putting my number out on this site. I'm Daniel.
JoeDan

Return to New Brunswick