quick to dry?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

quick to dry?

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 am

Hey all,

Myself and a friend were planning to head up to Welsford area, originally planning to leave this morning and return Sunday. Have been humming and hawing on account of weather - but things are looking more positive now. Looking for some local insight though - with all this rain today, will there be much to climb tomorrow and what areas are most quick to dry out?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks

Rich
Rich

Re: quick to dry?

Postby Dom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 am

Rich wrote:Hey all,

Myself and a friend were planning to head up to Welsford area, originally planning to leave this morning and return Sunday. Have been humming and hawing on account of weather - but things are looking more positive now. Looking for some local insight though - with all this rain today, will there be much to climb tomorrow and what areas are most quick to dry out?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks

Rich

From my experience, I would say that your best bet for climbing in the Welsford area would be Sunnyside. It's a sport cliff and has less cracks that retain water. Most of the cracks in Cochrane Lane will be wet tomorrow. That being said, the face routes in CL dry up pretty quickly. I don't know what grades you were looking at but the sport climbs on the attic ''should be dry''.Upper Tier has some face climbs too but it's hit or miss after a good rain.

Leviathan near the cave area is always dry. I've climbed that route in a downpour before. Amphitheatre should be dry (rockstar and Flight of the Valkyries are amazing). Mr clean and Spiderman dry up pretty quickly after a rain... Don't be discouraged though. You guys are coming from NS right? Climbs dry up much faster here than at Musquodobit from my experience.

If you get shut down, the quickest area to dry in the Maritimes is Cedar Point. I can guarantee you that tomorrow there will be enough dry climbs to get a full day there as long as SJ is not foggy. Here are two online topos for the area: http://mountainproject.com/v/cedar-point/107178515
http://www.beta-source.com/guidebooks/cedarpoint/cedar_point.pdf

The first online topo is more up to date while the second one has better directions/beta on how to access the cliff.

Cheers
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby theriault » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 am

+1 for what Dom said, plus I would add "LES DALLES DE ST-ANSELME" if its windy it should be dry!
Marty
theriault

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks guys - looks like it'll be Cedar Point for a day and then heading up to Welsford area for the weekend!

rich
Rich

Postby Fred » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:16 pm

best dry spots at CL are IMO:

-cave area
-Joe's
-Pyramid
-L-shape
-Attic
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *Chris* » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Rich wrote:Thanks guys - looks like it'll be Cedar Point for a day and then heading up to Welsford area for the weekend!

rich
Just in the event it helps I made a topo and posted it HERE
*Chris*

Postby Brian! » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:46 pm

*Chris* wrote:rich
Just in the event it helps I made a topo and posted it HERE[/quote]
Did I ever tell you how kick ass your topo is?

Hey Chris, your topo kicks ass.

On a greedier note- how long before the next kick ass topo? May I suggest Upper Tier? My (also kick ass) guide book doesn't appreciate all the new routes.
Brian!

Postby *Chris* » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the encouragement Brian.

Regarding the Upper Tier... I don't find this is a 'dry' area. In fact, I've been there on perfectly sunny dry days only to find the whole wall wet. Has anyone else ever noticed that its got a weird 'sweat' going on... something to do with the humidity perhaps?
*Chris*

Postby chameleon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for the beta everyone. Rich and I had a great time sport climbing on your rocks.

Cedar Point is a real gem. High quality limestone downtown - who'da thunk it?! My favourite line was Torpedoes and Jellyfish, although they were all good. We didn't get on any harder ones due to lack of time (and more likely, skill).

Day 2 was spent at Cochrane Lane, with a 10am alpine start. Upper Tiers was sopping (good call Chris), but we managed to find a couple of dry ones up there, both of which were good. One was a variation to The Waltz that Fred had put up (can’t remember the name but it was really fun). Then on to The Attic (which was good n dry) and finishing on Warm and Sultry...that line is just ridiculously good!

Day 3 was sprot climbing was at Sunnyside where we ran up 5 or 6 lines – all of which were worth 2 or 3 stars.

Thanks for the hospitality and all of your efforts in developing and maintaining your most excellent crags. It was so great to be around other people that like to hang about on ropes.

Cheers
Sean
chameleon

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:16 pm

The straight up variation from "The Waltz" is called "The Tango".

Glad you guys had a nice time in NB. Wish I could of been out...
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am

chameleon wrote:Cedar Point is a real gem. High quality limestone downtown - who'da thunk it?! My favourite line was Torpedoes and Jellyfish, although they were all good. We didn't get on any harder ones due to lack of time (and more likely, skill).

Glad you guys liked Cedar point. Torpedoes and Jellyfish is my favourite line at Cedar point too. Crazy Yahoos shooting sh*t is also very nice. (just to the right of T & J.)
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Return to New Brunswick