Curious about Trad

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Curious about Trad

Postby austinconrad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 am

I'm relatively new to climbing and just started to lead on sports climbs. I generally climb routes in the 5.7 - 5.9 range. I enjoy sport climbing alot but I find myself wanting to place my own gear. I realise the costs involved with buying gear for trad climbing are pretty high but I'm okay with that ( just like the rest of my gear it's something I can accumulate over time). I don't plan on climbing trad anytime soon but I was just curious if anyone could tell me how you go about learning how to place gear? I've borrowed some gear a few times and went around the bottom of the crag placing gear and found it fun and helpful but what I need is actual instruction. If I'm gonna move into trad I want to do so slowly and safely. There aren't really any courses around here so I was wondering how most people get into trad climbing?

Any help would be great
austinconrad

Re: Curious about Trad

Postby theriault » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 am

Start by seconding an experience trad leader, analyse every placement before you take it out, this is a small first step
Marty
theriault

Postby austinconrad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:38 am

theriault wrote:Start by seconding an experience trad leader, analyse every placement before you take it out, this is a small first step

Thanks! Sounds like good advice. On that note anyone need a second :P ?
austinconrad

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:28 am

I might have a day or two next week open if you're interested?
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 am

Ahh Scratch that. Thought I was headed up to freddy next week but things changed. Good luck! You could try looking up Jen Barth in Westfield, she's usually keen for climbing midweek.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to New Brunswick