New Brunswick/Nova Scotia Climbing Films

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

New Brunswick/Nova Scotia Climbing Films

Postby laurel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello!

My name is Laurel, I'm from California but I'm planning on moving to Sackeville for school. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for climbing films from the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia area. Thanks!

Best,
Laurel
laurel

Re: New Brunswick/Nova Scotia Climbing Films

Postby seanT » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 am

seanT

Postby Dom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 am

seanT wrote:http://pulldown.ca/Home.html

check it out...

I watched Eastern Tides the other day. Great flick to showcase the awesome bouldering near Halifax.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUUa2rfum8
It's not in NB but 4 hours from Fredericton and a really good climbing area in Québec.

There aren't many videos for New Brunswick. Let's just say movie production here is a little less popular than in California :P
Lots of climbing though!
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Dom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Here is another well made video of a small area of ice climbing in New Brunswick.

http://vimeo.com/16247084
Dom

Postby max » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:49 am

hey laurel,
i'm from sackville, presently not there but can give you beta to get places to at least boulder and ice climb in the area. as far as I know I'm the only active climber from there. The rock quality in the area isn't very good.... and to get to good rock you need to travel a bit. When are you going to be in sackville? I'll be around in may for a few weeks... i'm assuming you're not going to be there until september for school. there is a strong/small climbing community in Moncton, 25 mins from sackville, that climb a lot in Welsford Area, which is awesome be the way,(2hrs from Sackville) and they are wonderful folks! you commonly have to clean problems because there is limited use in the sackville area. all that said i like exploring and going to places no one goes.... anyway let me know if you want maps and stuff. also have a few spots that i have looked at on the coast near sackville that could be fun to get a closer look for potential rope climbing!
cheers,
max
max

Postby laurel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi,

Thank you both for your responses!

Actually, I'm hopefully flying out to Sackeville in the next few weeks. My birthday is in late May so I may have to fly back to California for that....but other than that, I am totally up for some exploration!

Is it pretty much just granite up there? Any limestone spots?

I'm also going to build a home wall when I get there...know of any places where I can get some cheap/used holds?

Best,

Laurel
laurel

Postby Dom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm

laurel wrote:Is it pretty much just granite up there? Any limestone spots?

Mostly granite but we have a few smaller sport crags that are made of limestone, basalt, diabase and I think the boulders that Max refers to are made of sandstone.

Here is an online topo of Cedar point- a small limestone crag.
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/cedar-point/107178515
http://www.beta-source.com/guidebooks/cedarpoint/cedar_point.pdf

I've explored a bunch around Moncton (near Sackville) and didn't find much quality rock...Max had better luck I guess hehe!

Welsford is 2 hours away and has absolutely no crowds and something like 450 routes (trad, sport, ice, aid, toprope). I lived in Moncton for a while until recently and made the drive to welsford for the weekend a lot! There is free camping in Welsford and the hilly setting is really nice.

Hope this helps.
Dom

Postby cory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Check out the gear listings on this forum for holds. No idea if Carter still has them or not.
cory

Postby max » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:09 pm

all good laurel..... i'm planning on getting to sackville the first few days of may and would be psyched to show you what is around sackville area. there is a possibility i have 30-40 holds i could get to you when i return. and the boulders i found are sandstone.

dom have you checked out slacks cove? i think there is some potential and the rock is different there them the rest of the rockport penninsula. there is also another area i want to look for closer to town that i've head of.....

anyway in early may laurel we can check it out!
max

Return to New Brunswick