Important History

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Important History

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:14 am

I forgot to add in my Greenlaw update that Jamie Simpson found what I think has absolutely got to be the most ancient remains of climbing in NB. A very rusty old piton/nail/spike pounded into a crack way up high on Greelaw. This thing is OLD. Like more than 100 years Old I would think. There were two of them actually. One remains in place the other one was pulled out and will be kept with other 'archeological' pieces.

speaking of which. Who has the Sleeping Beauty piton? That should be returned so it can be added to the other historic items.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:29 am

I don't think that pin was more than 100 years old, but it definately pre-dates Colin Bell and those guys in the 1970's. I would guess guess that it was put there back in at least the 50's though.

Adam has the Sleeping Beauty Piton. Last I saw he was using it as an ash tray.

I think it should be returned to the club and put with the other historical items like the ancient ice tools and crampons etc. They will be documented and stored in proper cases to preserve them for future viewing.

Maybe John B. can get it back from him.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby martha » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:34 am

It would be great to get back the pitons from Cheekbone corner that have been taken over the last few years too. Any that remain in place should stay there, and the rest kept with club stuff.

Anyone know where those ones went?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Piton?

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:19 am

Isn't Adam still banned from the forum? He can't read the forum if he's banned so he doens't know you guys are looking for the Piton.

Andrew

martha wrote:I don't think that pin was more than 100 years old, but it definately pre-dates Colin Bell and those guys in the 1970's. I would guess guess that it was put there back in at least the 50's though.

Adam has the Sleeping Beauty Piton. Last I saw he was using it as an ash tray.

I think it should be returned to the club and put with the other historical items like the ancient ice tools and crampons etc. They will be documented and stored in proper cases to preserve them for future viewing.

Maybe John B. can get it back from him.
Andrew

pitons

Postby STeveA » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:00 pm

There was a group of British Army guys training in Gagetown in the late 50's. From what I can gather these are probably the source of the piton in the Great roof and the pitons at Greenlaw.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:21 am

I'd guess the piton in Greenlaw is older than 1950's. It looks like an old rusted railway tie spike. I'll try to upload a photo for all to see.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick