Rockfall in the Ampitheatee

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Rockfall in the Ampitheatee

Postby *Chris* » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Today at around 5:00 I was leaving the area and heard a pretty massive rockfall. It seemes as if a climber was pitching huge blocks in the area of the ampitheatre/Burroughs. Some hikers in the area of the boulder field leading to the cave looked pretty spooked. I saw the climber from the trails but didn't get anything back. Not sure who it was?

If you are the trundler it's considered a courtesy to post a notice in the log book about major cleaning projects. Flagging off the trail would have been nice too... It sounded pretty major/sustained to me. The trundling continued for a while as we left so if it was landing in the scree gulley its probably pretty unstable now.
*Chris*

Re: Rockfall in the Ampitheatee

Postby PeterA » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:27 pm

The climber you yelled at at the top was me I can only assume as I was cleaning my anchor off Odin. :P No rocks thrown from the top of the ampitheatre though, pretty clean most of the way up Odin

-PJ
PeterA

Postby *Chris* » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Ha. Funny.

1) Did you get it free yet or what?
2) Where was that big rock fall then? You must have heard it.
*Chris*

Postby PeterA » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 pm

ha I wish. It will go free though, minimum 13+ but probably 14. All the holds are there. Climbed to the 2nd bolt on the bolt ladder, but theres some vicious twisting moves in there that I couldn't try at the momemnt. I took a bunch of rock off the bottom of Odin and a few flakes up high but nothing large. Sent the unavoidable few skidding through the gully as I walked out though, probably sounded larger than they were. The only dangerous place to be from the flakes off Odin wouldve been belaying on Cerebus, and I can tell you for sure there was nobody there. Hikers were out and about at the top of the amphitheater doing the hiking loop as well, but they didn't knock anything down.

-PJ
PeterA

Return to New Brunswick