PEREGRINES ON CHEEKBONE

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

PEREGRINES ON CHEEKBONE

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Good news and bad news - they're back! And so are the climbing restrictions. The peregrines are nesting in the Cheekbone Corner area now, and all climbing and disturbances will be restricted from now until 1 August (or further notice). The closed areas will be the same as last year, including: The Amphitheater, Cheekbone Corner, and Pooh Corner. I have contacted CFB Gagetown biology staff to inform them of the restrictions, and I expect Range Control will erect signs and maps of the closed areas. They will also enforce the restrictions.

I wrote a note in the sign-in box, indicating that the closure will be between Chunky Chunky and Waterfall Wall, mainly because these climbs are indicated on the new map above the box. The "officially" closed areas are as above.

It appears that our falcons have established a permanent territory in the Cheekbone Corner. In future years an automatic annual restriction on all climbing and disturbances will be in place between 1 April and 1 August for this area. This approach is consistent with other nearby jurisdictions that manage peregrines and climbers. I will annually check to determine if the birds are present, not present or relocated, and make the required management decision and public notification. This approach ensures that the birds are protected from disturbance during the sensitive nesting time from, say, trundling of large rock in the Amphitheater area in April.

Thank you for your cooperation with this restriction. We are just one of the many species that use the Cochrane Lane cliffs. Please share it with consideration.

Joe Kennedy, DNR Biologist.
Joe

Re: PEREGRINES ON CHEEKBONE

Postby aaronhart » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 pm

cool sounds great. thanks for the extra effort.
Grab your gear and head on out!!! "warren miller"
aaronhart

Postby Greg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 am

Joe wrote:We are just one of the many species that use the Cochrane Lane cliffs.

Good point Joe. I have no problem sharing the cliff with the Peregrines. I hope others feel the same and why not as these guys provide free aerial acrobatic shows daily :D
Greg

Postby *Chris* » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 am

Those are quite reasonable measures. Thanks for the heads-up Joe.

Also, will several blocks of downtown Moncton be closed this year as well? Or perhaps just Assumption Place itself? Link
*Chris*

Postby Joe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:43 am

Yeah, I put that box up. Do you want me to put up a few more, like on Mt. Doug, Sunnyside, Kingston...
Joe

Postby Dom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Joe wrote:Yeah, I put that box up. Do you want me to put up a few more, like on Mt. Doug, Sunnyside, Kingston...

:twisted:
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby STeveA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 am

Joe wrote:It appears that our falcons have established a permanent territory in the Cheekbone Corner. In future years an automatic annual restriction on all climbing and disturbances will be in place between 1 April and 1 August for this area. This approach is consistent with other nearby jurisdictions that manage peregrines and climbers. I will annually check to determine if the birds are present, not present or relocated, and make the required management decision and public notification. This approach ensures that the birds are protected from disturbance during the sensitive nesting time from, say, trundling of large rock in the Amphitheater area in April.

Since the Falcon is now a species of concern rather than endangered, and is reported to be at historic levels in New Brunswick, and since there is a new Species at Risk Act working its way through Parliment, it might be better to continue a year by year assessment of the Falcon situation rather than getting locked into an automatic procedure.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 pm

STeveA wrote:
Joe wrote:It appears that our falcons have established a permanent territory in the Cheekbone Corner. In future years an automatic annual restriction on all climbing and disturbances will be in place between 1 April and 1 August for this area. This approach is consistent with other nearby jurisdictions that manage peregrines and climbers. I will annually check to determine if the birds are present, not present or relocated, and make the required management decision and public notification. This approach ensures that the birds are protected from disturbance during the sensitive nesting time from, say, trundling of large rock in the Amphitheater area in April.

Since the Falcon is now a species of concern rather than endangered, and is reported to be at historic levels in New Brunswick, and since there is a new Species at Risk Act working its way through Parliment, it might be better to continue a year by year assessment of the Falcon situation rather than getting locked into an automatic procedure.

Good point. Who knows what implications a automatic seasonal restriction would have if the laws change.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 am

The Peregrine Falcon may have been down-listed to a "species of concern" on the federal Species at Risk Act, but it is still identified on the (old and new) New Brunswick Endangered Species/Species at Rick Act. Yes, the number of nests may be at a recorded high of 18 nests, but it's still only 18 nests in the province. If we only had 18 breeding pair of moose left in the province, everyone would be demanding that we protect each individual with everything we have.

DNR has the mandate to protect the individuals and habitats of endangered species, and the Base also intends to protect the "species of concern" that nests on federal land. The trundling of rock in the Amphitheater during April is an example of a disturbance that was too close to an active falcon nest that should not have occurred. I was partially at fault because I did not close the area off early enough. So to correct that, I intend to follow the example of Maine, New Hampshire and Quebec, and close the Cheekbone Corner area between April and August.

As I mentioned in the first post, I will still monitor the birds and alter the closure as necessary depending on what the birds are doing. In the past I have opened the area to climbing early in July when I saw that the chicks fledged early, or when the eggs died because of cold and wet conditions. I'll continue to do this; the Aug 1 date is a worse case scenario. I attempt to balance the protection to the birds with the concerns of access for climbers, and I think this has been fairly successful in the past. However if disturbance to the birds continues to occur from uncooperative people, stricter protective measures may be warranted. Remember, the Base initially wanted to close the entire cliff for the summer. If the climbing community does not cooperate, access to Cochrane Lanes may be threatened. Please consider this, and be kind.
Joe

Postby aaronhart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Joe wrote:Good news and bad news - they're back! And so are the climbing restrictions. The peregrines are nesting in the Cheekbone Corner area now, and all climbing and disturbances will be restricted from now until 1 August (or further notice). The closed areas will be the same as last year, including: The Amphitheater, Cheekbone Corner, and Pooh Corner. I have contacted CFB Gagetown biology staff to inform them of the restrictions, and I expect Range Control will erect signs and maps of the closed areas. They will also enforce the restrictions.

I wrote a note in the sign-in box, indicating that the closure will be between Chunky Chunky and Waterfall Wall, mainly because these climbs are indicated on the new map above the box. The "officially" closed areas are as above.

It appears that our falcons have established a permanent territory in the Cheekbone Corner. In future years an automatic annual restriction on all climbing and disturbances will be in place between 1 April and 1 August for this area. This approach is consistent with other nearby jurisdictions that manage peregrines and climbers. I will annually check to determine if the birds are present, not present or relocated, and make the required management decision and public notification. This approach ensures that the birds are protected from disturbance during the sensitive nesting time from, say, trundling of large rock in the Amphitheater area in April.

Thank you for your cooperation with this restriction. We are just one of the many species that use the Cochrane Lane cliffs. Please share it with consideration.

Joe Kennedy, DNR Biologist.
aaronhart

Postby aaronhart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:42 pm

[quote="Joe"]Good news and bad news - they're back! And so are the climbing restrictions. The peregrines are nesting in the Cheekbone Corner area now, and all climbing and disturbances will be restricted from now until 1 August (or further notice). The closed areas will be the same as last year, including: The Amphitheater, Cheekbone Corner, and Pooh Corner. I have contacted CFB Gagetown biology staff to inform them of the restrictions, and I expect Range Control will erect signs and maps of the closed areas. They will also enforce the restrictions.

ive never done this quote im screwing it up. any how. so CL is still good for climbing eh. just not these area mentioned. just want to make sure im able to go there and climbing different areas?
aaronhart

Postby GKelly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 am

Just the areas mentioned.
GKelly

Postby Dom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 am

GKelly wrote:Just the areas mentioned.

I heard Snakepeel is closed too. :mrgreen:

No Panic here, Snakepeel is not closed but there are a ton of other moderates worth climbing
Dom

Postby PeterA » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Joe wrote:The trundling of rock in the Amphitheater during April is an example of a disturbance that was too close to an active falcon nest that should not have occurred.

Small flakes aren't really trundling :wink: I think the thread on the board made it sound bigger than it was

-PJ
PeterA

Postby GKelly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Snakepeal too!!!!! My season is over!!!
GKelly

Postby austinconrad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm

So does that include Chunky Chunky and Waterfall wall or just the space in between? Sorry not that familiar with CL
austinconrad

Postby Greg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 am

climb650 wrote:

So does that include Chunky Chunky and Waterfall wall or just the space in between? Sorry not that familiar with CL

Chunky Chunky and Waterfall Wall are open. The only areas closed are Amphitheater, Cheekbone and Pooh Corner.
Greg

Postby STeveA » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 am

GKelly wrote:Snakepeal too!!!!! My season is over!!!

Snakepeal is closed because it was getting used too much. The rock needs time to harden back up, so people should stay off it for a while.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby GKelly » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Well done sir .... Well done
GKelly

Postby chossmonkey » Thu May 31, 2012 6:37 pm

If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Dom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 am

Brings back memory of my scariest moment climbing where I didn't know that the anchor of the route I was climbing was where the Peregrine falcons nested. Needless to say I lost a maillon and a pair of boxers that time but that was the least of my concern. This was in Orford, Qc.
Dom

Postby theriault » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Wow!!! Cool vid!!!!
Marty
theriault

Postby Greg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:20 am

Another good reason to wear a helmet while climbing :wink:
Greg

Postby Greg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:26 pm

I think there may be some hatched chicks up on Cheekbone now.
Greg

Postby theriault » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Joe, The kids all seem to have left the house over a week ago, they hang around L-Shape/Joe's quite a bit.... any info on when the closure is gonna end?
Marty
theriault

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 pm

CFB Gagetown and DNR has agreed to remove the climbing restriction in the Cheekbone area of Welsford. As of today (Thursday 19 July) Range Control will not be enforcing any restrictions to access, but it will take a few days for them to take down the closure signs. I was observing the peregrines tonight and I could see only one chick flying with the adults. I had observed 3 eggs in the nest in May, but it seems that only 1 chick survived to fledge.

Once again I thank you for your patience with tolerating the climbing closure in this area. But now, it is gratifying to be able to watch the peregrines soar around the cliffs and hunt forest birds. It really is worth it.

Now get out there and enjoy it. Joe.
Joe

Postby *Chris* » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks for your work on this Joe.

Glad to hear that it was another successful year. I've been really impressed in the way that CFB Gagetown has been dealing with this. They seem quite reasonable in their management of the issue.

This spring I managed to actually see for the first time one of the falcons take a little songbird. POOOF! (sound of a little songbird exploding into a cloud of feathers)
*Chris*

Postby Dom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:53 am

That's great news! Thanks for your work with the Cochrane Lane Peregrine falcons Joe.
Dom

Postby Greg » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:55 pm

*Chris* wrote:Thanks for your work on this Joe.

Glad to hear that it was another successful year. I've been really impressed in the way that CFB Gagetown has been dealing with this. They seem quite reasonable in their management of the issue.

This spring I managed to actually see for the first time one of the falcons take a little songbird. POOOF! (sound of a little songbird exploding into a cloud of feathers)

Yup these critters are pretty awesome killing machines. Glad to hear that they had a successful season and I look forward to watching them in action this fall.
Greg

Postby cory » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Joe,

We discussed the issue of signage left beyond it's applicable period last April http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6592&p=34374&hilit=peregrines#p34374 At least some signs were still in place today, two and a half weeks after the lifting of the ban. (On our way down we were asked by a group if the area was still closed, as they thought the ban should have been lifted by now, but could still see signs. We informed them it was.) I removed those I passed, and leaned them up behind their respective trees for easy retrieval by the Gagetown biologist/Range Control.
cory

Next

Return to New Brunswick