Nuts, Cams and Prison Bars

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Nuts, Cams and Prison Bars

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:26 pm

What's the story in NB in terms of climbing access? I know about welsford needing a pass and everything but what about the rest? Across the pond, the access right code says that I can pretty much climb wherever, whenever so long as I'm not interupting anyones teatime escapades. I'd like to know that if I try to climb some rock I find back home, I won't end up in a small barred room with a guy named Mama Bear.
Cheers
Graham

Postby heroicjake » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:10 pm

The pass for welsford is only because it is DND land. Where you climb in welsford is on Base Gagetown. Without a pass they do have the authority to shoot and ask questions later. It is also away for them to know where people will be, for security, and legal reasons.
heroicjake

Postby PaulB » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm

Sadly, the UK concept of "right of access" has long since vanished in North America. Here, land access is at the discretion of the landowner. If you don't have permission to be on their land, they can have you charged with trespassing and arrested.

This is the heart of most climber access issues, mostly due to fear by landowners that they will be held liable for injury or death on their property. There have recently been a couple of major lawsuits in Ontario that involved mountain bikers who were seriously injured while riding and sued the landowners for compensation. As a result, liability insurance rates are skyrocketing, and landowners who would otherwise be happy to let the public access their land, choose not to because they can't afford insurance, and don't want to risk getting sued.

So, to avoid having some guy become your "Mama Bear" :shock:, your best bet would be to ask for permission before exploring any new areas, especially on private (as opposed to Crown) land.
PaulB

Postby heroicjake » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:39 pm

Crown land you still need to be careful. As you can still be charged with trespassing depending, on what the land is used for, or if it is a protected area. Best bet would be to check with your local DNR officer before going onto any crown land.
heroicjake

Postby The Teth » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:27 am

I am not sure of the laws in New Brunswick, but in Nova Scotia you can go on any land which has not been “improved”, and does not have a fence or any “No Trespassing” signs. You can even do stuff such as set traps (meant for wild furry things, but also affective on dogs and small children) on people’s land without telling them as long as you are a certain distance from any buildings. If you can set traps for small children I am sure climbing is permissible. The rules change if the landowner actually asks you to leave or post signs though.

On Crown land in Nova Scotia you are usually OK, unless you cut trees. The Crown Lands Act looks like it was written by the Palp & Paper companies. They don’t want anyone else cutting into their profits.

Teth
The Teth

Postby thicks » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:29 pm

The Teth wrote:On Crown land in Nova Scotia you are usually OK, unless you cut trees. The Crown Lands Act looks like it was written by the Palp & Paper companies. They don’t want anyone else cutting into their profits.

Teth

I think you can make some serious money poaching trees.... possibly even more than poaching kids or dogs. :D
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:34 pm

a good tip to increase profits per amount of effort is to cut all maples down on one acre then look at stumps and only drag out the ones with bird's eye maple. While you're at it though you might as well cut em all down to open up a path for dragging the trees out. Plus it's fun to play with the chainsaw. Remember... Never turn your back to a falling tree.

Next week's lesson kids... fishing with dynamite to ensure you picked the brook clean.

:wink:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Speaking of saws, I just bought a Husqvarna 365 today, shall I bring it in August so that we can finally cut all the trees on the Cheekbone Corner climb. Maybe while we are at it lets cut those trees between Joe's and Upper Tier and the Attic. It would give Welsford a few more multipitch a la Rockies (one good pitch followed by 3 pitches of choss then another good clean pitch). I was just kidding folks. Now lets play a game, which statement was I joking about.

a) I wouldn't cut down trees for the fun of it or to make a climb better
b) I wouldn't cut trees on base property
c) The Rockies provide plenty of nice multipitch with mininal choss.
mathieu

Postby mitchleblanc » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:05 pm

I thought you were kidding about the Husqvarna 365! Ha! 365? 4.6 Horsepower?? 6 kg? That's baby stuff. I figured a man of your stature would at least be haulin' around the 3120XP.
mitchleblanc

Postby mathieu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:48 am

I debated buying the 3120 XP, but then realized that I don't cut a lot of these trees. But lets get serious here folks, i'm gonna climb all of your asses down with my massive pipes come winter time. Grade 3+ ice here I come.
mathieu

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:51 am

that must be the size tree they make plywood sheets out of eh?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:52 am

:lol: :lol:
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby thicks » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:00 am

Jezz, no Fred! They make Plywood out of Ply trees.
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Graham » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 am

All this talk of chainsaws disapoints me. Common now, you folks are climbers. All you need is a nice shinny bowsaw and you'll get those muscles warmed up to do the climb that you are i9n the process of clearing up.
Graham

Postby excited newbie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:17 pm

Nothin better than chainsaw'in, unless you need to climb a rockface to get to some trees to chainsaw. thats pretty sweet too.
excited newbie

Return to New Brunswick