Bolt size

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Bolt size

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:37 pm

Hey all,
Im trying my hand at making a hangboard, and at an almost finished point I've been confronted with the problem of mounting options. Can anyone tell me the diameter of a regular climbing bolt so I can drill the mounting holes the proper size? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for mounting a board without drilling holes in the doorframe, thereby voiding my damage deposit?

PS< for those attempting to build their own board, Railroad ties are great starting points.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:01 pm

bolt it to a piece of plywood then use 3 inch long screws to secure the plywood to studs above a door frame. That way you won't damage the gyprock aside from 4 small easily reparable holes. let me know if you need to know more. Good luck
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mitchleblanc » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:00 pm

What if you placed the hangboard over a doorframe, and it rests on the trim. Place a matching "board" on the other side, then clamp the two sides together... that way the trim on both edges supports the board? Just an idea.

Or you could just screw it to the framing, and just repair the holes later.

Not sure why you would use "regular climbing bolts". I assume you mean climbing gym bolts, and not expansion bolts? Regardless, they are 3/8 inch, I think? Might try using a 7/16 drill, if you're placing T-nuts?
mitchleblanc

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:44 pm

I'm curious as to what sorta design and materials you have used in building a home-made hangboard. When you're done, I think we'd all love to see some pix. I have a metolius from MEC... its the full sized one and it seems to have everything. I have it mounted over my doorway. It's mounted with a piece of plywood behind it before going into the wall. It's my dad's house, so I didn't have to worry about damage deposit. There are 6 screw holes that go into studs and would EASILY be filled and touched up plus 6 other screw holes but I don't think they go through the plywood, if they do, then im sure they'd be just as easy to repair.

Good luck matt.
Andrew

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 am

Hey Andrew,
I started out with a 4'' X 8'' railroad tie, and cut it down to about 44'' long. I then used a table saw to cut a rough couple of angles into the top side for a sloper bar going the entire length. I then did the same on the back side for about a quarter of the distance on either side (as a table saw only angles in one direction, I just used my chainsaw to cut the righthand side) in order to create the jugs. I then used a 1 inch drillbit to bore a pair of three finger pockets, and a pair of two finger pockets. I used a router with a 3/4" rounded bit to cut my crimp slots, and made two cuts side by side to get the appropreate width. I then used a dremmel tool to sand down the inside of all hte holes and sanded the entire exterrior. I applies a light exterrior varnish, mixed with a small quantity of beach sand, and Im in the process of adjusting the polish to meet a good standard.
Thanks for the idea Mitch, thats a great idea.

Matt.
Matt Peck

Postby mitchleblanc » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:22 pm

Sounds really good man. You should post some pics of the process. Looking forward to seeing it.
mitchleblanc

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:00 am

Feast your eyes Biyotches!
Prototype Mk 1: Big Red.
Sloper bar, Jugs, Deep 4, 3, 0r 2 finger pockets, Crimp bar, side crimp pinches. And Smooth as a baby's ass. (which makes it hard but awesome.)
[img]
ummmm...
That didn't work.
How do you post an image from your harddrive on this puppy, as I dont have a web page?
Yay for the forum illiterate.[/img]
Matt Peck

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 am

post it on http://www.x-img.com then post the link here
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:20 am

Allright. Here goes. Check this out.Image
If all else fails, there are several pictures in My account on x-img.com.
Matt Peck

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 am

ok, just to make it known that Im not totally gotarded with computers, the right mouse button on this mouse was ripped off so I couldn't select the picture. Just go to the site. Enjoy.
:?
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 am

it looks awesome Matt. good job!!!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to New Brunswick