Online guidebook

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: Online guidebook

Postby theriault » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am

*Chris* wrote: Steve's effort is realistically going to take at least a year, and I expect a lot of the areas currently under hot development will have their major pulse accounted for by the time this next chapter is published..

your right, that time frame does makes sens
Marty
theriault

Postby PeterA » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 pm

One helpful tidbit, if you want to change the caption underneath photos that you upload so that they don't say j467o.jpg, you can go to actions -> edit captions and change the names to whatever you like

-PJ
PeterA

Postby STeveA » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Top picture removed. Definately makes it easier to view pictures and slideshows.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Dom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 am

Hey guys I've been adding stuff to the 'online guidebook'.

One question tough is how do you delete an album? For Instance, I had added Tylenul to the Mount Douglas album but just created the Main Face album in the Mount Douglas. I wanted to move Tylenul to the main face album and did but the Tylenul in the Mount Douglas album is still there. I'd like to delete that one. (Don't try to understand what I just said without going on the Mount Douglas page on the online guidebook)

Also, worth noting that the Tylenul info is outdated in Greg's pdf of Mount Doug.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby PeterA » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:50 am

Dom wrote:Hey guys I've been adding stuff to the 'online guidebook'.

One question tough is how do you delete an album? For Instance, I had added Tylenul to the Mount Douglas album but just created the Main Face album in the Mount Douglas. I wanted to move Tylenul to the main face album and did but the Tylenul in the Mount Douglas album is still there. I'd like to delete that one. (Don't try to understand what I just said without going on the Mount Douglas page on the online guidebook)

Also, worth noting that the Tylenul info is outdated in Greg's pdf of Mount Doug.

Deleting is something that can only be done by a few users for now. I did it for ya. Whenever I've moved objects though, they've moved completely, they didnt make duplicates. How did you do it? As a test, I just moved the tylenul album from main face to the parent folder of mt douglas, then back again and it moved fine
-PJ
PeterA

Postby Dom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm

With the password given, I can't move objects, I can only copy objects and that's why Tylenul was found at a couple of spots.
I just did it again with black dwarf in the dihelio album :oops:
Dom

Postby Greg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Dom wrote:Also, worth noting that the Tylenul info is outdated in Greg's pdf of Mount Doug.

How so?
Greg

Postby PeterA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 am

Dom wrote:With the password given, I can't move objects, I can only copy objects and that's why Tylenul was found at a couple of spots.
I just did it again with black dwarf in the dihelio album :oops:

good to know :P That privaledge could be added?
-PJ
PeterA

Postby theriault » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:16 am

Greg wrote:
Dom wrote:Also, worth noting that the Tylenul info is outdated in Greg's pdf of Mount Doug.

How so?

If your gonna do some changes, I would suggest downgrading Deflector to the 9+/10a area, I just did it again recently and it did not feel 10c at all, plus I had rookie climbers flash it (not to insult my buddies lol but they are not even close to 10c lol).... This is just a suggestion, no pressure :wink:
Marty
theriault

Postby STeveA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 am

At present the documents that are PDFs still belong to the original authors and any changes will be left to them. Once the routes are added individually to my site, then anyone can edit them. If you think there is an error in a route description go ahead and fix it. Hopefully all the routes will finally settle at a general consensus.

I cannot add the capability for users to move an object without giving permission to delete as well. I want people to be able to edit routes and add, but I do not want everyone to have the ability to delete.
STeveA

Postby Dom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 am

Greg wrote:

How so?

If you look in the new routes thread you'll see that the description and number of bolts is different.
Weeks ago I also added a new bolt to 2 Tours and to C'est loin du Laundromat as well.
Dom

Postby Dom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 pm

theriault wrote: If your gonna do some changes, I would suggest downgrading Deflector to the 9+/10a area, I just did it again recently and it did not feel 10c at all, plus I had rookie climbers flash it (not to insult my buddies lol but they are not even close to 10c lol).... This is just a suggestion, no pressure :wink:

I think Deflector is a mid-10. You have an unusual long-reach Marty. Put a 5'5'' person on it with an ape index of 0 and I'm sure they'd curse that it's rated 5.9. I believe adding ''May be easier for taller climbers'' to the description should suffice.
Dom

Postby theriault » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Dom wrote:I think Deflector is a mid-10. You have an unusual long-reach Marty. Put a 5'5'' person on it with an ape index of 0 and I'm sure they'd curse that it's rated 5.9. I believe adding ''May be easier for taller climbers'' to the description should suffice.

I agree Dom, 5.9+ might be sand bag, But I still think 5.10c is to steep... like I said earlier my friends got it first go (average reach) and then where spanked on a 5.10a (same length and style) at the same crag....consensus should be voted here, anyone else climbed this route and could help out with this?

PS its a fun short route! Thanks Greg!
Marty
theriault

Postby Leehammer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm with you Marty, but I'm also 6 ft tall.
Leehammer

Postby PeterA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:58 pm

I think 10c is a fair grade. I would call it 10b or c and because the difference between 10c and 10b is negligible I'd leave it as is. It felt harder than 5.9, I almost fell on the damn thing :P

-PJ
PeterA

Postby GKelly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 pm

I think 10c is fair. That crux move is no gimmie.
GKelly

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 pm

I have been producing some topo maps for the guidebook project and at this point... I could use some feedback.

At the online guide site, you'll find a topo directory with large-scale and medium-scale maps. The medium-scale maps are intended to get a visiting climber's car parked at the correct location, and combined with the description, get that climber on the correct trail-head and eventually to the crag.

Keeping in mind that you'll also have a written description about how to get to the crag, which of the two options do you prefer... and what elements do you specifically like/dislike:

Option A: Aerial photograph based map. Now I certainly prefer photos but I also have fairly advanced training on interpreting the detail contained in these images. Although I think Google earth and other mapping programs has certainly increased the general public's awareness of aerial photos, there may still be too much detail for what's really needed. I'm also worried about this style looking cluttered in printed form.

Option B: Topographic maps. Although you loose all the real-world detail a photo gives you, this style reduces the problem down to just the important features. For those that can't read air-photos, it shows whether you should be going uphill or down, whether your crossing brooks, etc. They also tend to look more clean.

So... if you have a minute and you don't mind... have a look at the maps I've put on Steve's site and let me know what style you think is better fit for this purpose. Thanks.
*Chris*

Postby cory » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 pm

I like the topos, and applaud your efforts, *Chris*. I just sent you a very long email with a detailed analysis of each. It was far too long for inclusion on here. I think other readers will be happy to not have to scroll past.
cory

Postby Dom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:56 am

I find both of the maps to be awesome. Good work!
One thing though is that I think people that do go to Eagle Rock park a little further away in the provincial pull-out. I've been there a few times and even saw climbers there and we had all parked at the pull-out.

Again great work!
Dom

Postby PeterA » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Bear mtn is now completely up to date on the site

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Dom » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am

PeterA wrote:Bear mtn is now completely up to date on the site

-PJ

What's the route in between RockSteady and Face the pockets? Burdett onsighted it the other day and I couldn't even do the very first moves :oops: (very reachy)

It's not in your guidebook
Dom

Postby PeterA » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:20 am

Dom wrote:
PeterA wrote:Bear mtn is now completely up to date on the site

-PJ

What's the route in between RockSteady and Face the pockets? Burdett onsighted it the other day and I couldn't even do the very first moves :oops: (very reachy)

It's not in your guidebook

Cory's/Ian's project I believe, newlyish bolted :lol:

-PJ
PeterA

Postby PeterA » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 pm

I should add that I wouldn't worry about the fact that it was a project since it had passed the 6 week limit anyway

-PJ
PeterA

Postby IanLingley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 am

I think that was a project we TR last year, Cory bolted it in the winter some time. It’s 3 really tricky boulder problems stacked, we thought it would be in the 12+ range. But we haven’t tried leading it.
Shawn probably has different beta then Cory and I. I would have loved to see him climb it.
IanLingley

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I tried to get in to do some work today and the site was down. Just FYI. July 9th.
*Chris*

Postby STeveA » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 pm

got to love those lightening storms Took out Aliants modem, but everything should be ok now.
STeveA

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Sketchy. Another good reason to join a 'real' host.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby PeterA » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Fred wrote:Sketchy. Another good reason to join a 'real' host.

How is it sketchy? Down for a day, no data lost because its all on our own hardware. The site didn't go down really, it just couldn't be accessed from external servers.

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:44 am

PeterA wrote:
Fred wrote:Sketchy. Another good reason to join a 'real' host.

How is it sketchy? Down for a day, no data lost because its all on our own hardware. The site didn't go down really, it just couldn't be accessed from external servers.

-PJ

if google were accessible only in their own corporate network and not to the rest of the world, would you consider that their site was still 'up'?

i'd say it's sketchy b/c it highlights the fact that hosting a website in your basement is more susceptible to situations like these. ok, no data lost this time... but next? it's food for thought. these criticisms should not be taken personally - they're valid concerns about a community resource.
Adam

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:36 pm

IMO, just put the stuff on Mountain Project.

Still need a paper copy of the guidebook though. Dom has been nominated and seconded.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New Brunswick