Reindeerland

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Reindeerland

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:35 pm

I was climbing on Gollum's Cave Area last night near dark and instead of crossing over the cave opening to do Reindeerland, I just went straight up along-side the low-angle slab through a 5.3-5.4 grade path. Now, I've climbed this a number of times and I'm sure many of you have as well... I was wondering if this route has a name, etc... what to call it... It takes gear really well and is great for new leaders to get into the game.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:56 pm

It's called "what's a paragraph?"

see new routes info on my website. But the route keeps going way up to the tree for "Interlude".

FA: F.Berube, L.Kowalski
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:00 pm

OKay. I"ll have to check the guidebook and try to envision how that route would go.

I checked the New Routes section and fail to see "What's a Paragraph" on there. What's the grade and about how high? Is the gear good? I'll have to get out there and do it.

Andrew

Fred wrote:It's called "what's a paragraph?"

see new routes info on my website. But the route keeps going way up to the tree for "Interlude".

FA: F.Berube, L.Kowalski
Andrew

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:11 am

oops! I edited the file but never uploaded it I guess. I'll beam it over as soon as I get back home. The route is pretty easy to find though. Basically climb the variation you talked about earlier and when you are at the height of the Reindeer Land block just keep heading up and right 60' up the arete. The gear is so so but the climbing is pretty easy. Watch for loose stuff on your left. It's not a route worth mentioning but hey it's another easy trad route in Welsford. enjoy!
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Route

Postby STeveA » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:57 pm

The climb you are talking about is actually the top of Gollum's cave. The climb was used a lot in the late 70's and early 80's, but fell into disuse with the increased popularity of Rheindeerland.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Return to New Brunswick