Route cleaning/trail maintenance

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: Route cleaning/trail maintenance

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:14 pm

cory wrote:Might something like this be a good idea? (Without the railing, obviously.) They seem to be holding up (pun fully intended) fairly well on the Fundy Trail.
http://www.waterfall-picture-guide.com/ ... stairs.jpg
It needs smaller wood pieces, requires less excavation, contours to the slope, could use old ropes, easy to replace...

They have a bunch of these on the newer section of the Fundy Footpath running from Big Salmon to Little Salmon River and most of them are a mess. As a matter of fact there is a newer trail directly beside most of them as they are more of a hazard than a help. The one in the picture is a rarity.
Greg

Postby Caldsy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 am

Are you gentlemen...and Marty still planning on working in CL on Sunday?

Sorry Marty, I just had to throw that in there...afterall, it is Friday 8)
Caldsy

Postby theriault » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

Caldsy wrote:Are you gentlemen...and Marty still planning on working in CL on Sunday?

Sorry Marty, I just had to throw that in there...afterall, it is Friday 8)

Hahaha!
Yes its still on! The truck is loaded and ready to go!
Marty
theriault

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:38 am

does anyone have some old static rope around that we can use for some work? some good, solid static rope would be great... perhaps like the stuff that was strung down to exfoliated a couple years back :D

Cory - I understand what you're saying, but i *really* want to avoid moving soil around. i know when the stairs below the signin were built people were swearing about all the soil they had dug up (first of all this is a major PITA in such rooty, rocky terrain) and lugged in buckets.

i think we should aim for a structure that requires no soil, hence my log suggestion. perhaps there are better solutions tho.
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:02 am

Adam,

I have a length of that static rope and I will bring it. As for the project work I think we will have the materials and manpower to get quite a bit done. I've been working this summer a fair bit on mountain bike trails and the structures can go up quickly with enough people and the right tools.

In my opinion... the priorities are:
1) Lower Dawn
2) Staircase
3) Runoff below the staircase

That said I'll help with whatever the group decides
*Chris*

Postby Dom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:16 am

Adam wrote:Cory - I understand what you're saying, but i *really* want to avoid moving soil around. i know when the stairs below the signin were built people were swearing about all the soil they had dug up (first of all this is a major PITA in such rooty, rocky terrain) and lugged in buckets.

i think we should aim for a structure that requires no soil, hence my log suggestion. perhaps there are better solutions tho.

Hey Adam perhaps it is, but Lower Dawn Wall is actually losing its soil that makes up the base of the cliff. The priority here is not on how to go up there (step, ladders, elevator, gondola, etc. :mrgreen: ) but more on how to contain soil IMO. That is why I think we need some kind of a retaining wall to contain the soil.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby PeterA » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am

All the soil at lower dawn is on a granite shelf anyway. Just let it disappear and we have a nice new granite walkway
PeterA

Postby Dom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 am

PeterA wrote:All the soil at lower dawn is on a granite shelf anyway. Just let it disappear and we have a nice new granite walkway

Perhaps that's ok for the hike up to Lower Dawn. But once you're on Lower Dawn, I'd prefer to belay from a nice soil filled ledge, than a semi hanging belay on granite. (I think the granite shelf underneath that soil is slanted.)

Something like this would work for the upper ledge. (Disregard the stairs in the picture, I just mean the main big platform.Also I have no clue who that kid is in the picture hahaha)

Dom

Postby theriault » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 am

Just an idea, anyone know if we could bring a truck in the farmer's field (aka CFB Gagetown) up to the tree line.... this would save some considerable time.... would it just be a matter of talking to the farm owner for his permission? has this ever been done before? does anyone have a contact number?
Marty
theriault

Postby *Chris* » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

theriault wrote:Just an idea, anyone know if we could bring a truck in the farmer's field (aka CFB Gagetown) up to the tree line.... this would save some considerable time.... would it just be a matter of talking to the farm owner for his permission? has this ever been done before? does anyone have a contact number?
Marty, that's a good idea. I don't have the owner's contact info though.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 pm

sounds like we're all over the place. perhaps we should just hash this out in person tomorrow morning b/c it's not gonna get solved on a forum.

one thing we might need is a good powerful, charged up portable drill and a 1" spade bit to be able to string static cord thru board/logs, and to make holes for rebar.

anyone have a good portable drill?? mine sucks for holes that big (only 12v). i can bring spade bits.
Adam

Postby Dom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:56 pm

You got SDS Spade bits?
Dom

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Dom wrote:You got SDS Spade bits?

negative. just regular hex.
Adam

Postby theriault » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Adam wrote:one thing we might need is a good powerful, charged up portable drill and a 1" spade bit to be able to string static cord thru board/logs, and to make holes for rebar.

anyone have a good portable drill?? mine sucks for holes that big (only 12v). i can bring spade bits.

I have a Bosch rotary hammer drill 36v (sds) and a Bosch hammer drill 36v (non-sds) they use the same bat (I have 3) plus my truck has a 120v outlet in the box, I'll bring both and a few expansion bolts... so we are all set!
Marty
theriault

Postby *Chris* » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Today was the day that internet chatter turned into positive results!

The runoff issues between the stream crossing and the sign in box were addressed. A total of 7 water-bars were installed today at strategic points along the way. As well, the stair-case was restored by replacing the worst of the rotten treads. Additional granite steps were installed above the staircase leading to the sign in box. Please walk up using these structures. Please do not walk around them. Additionally, the trail between the Cave and Waterfall was brushed out and the fixed lines heading up to Minky were fixed up.

The following people put in a whole day of hard work to make these trail improvements happen:
Adam M
Dom C
Marty T
Luc G
Franca Z
Sonia W
Lana
Greg H
Shawn B

They deserve thanks. Very nice work.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm

*Chris* wrote:They deserve thanks. Very nice work.

Thank you too Chris N!

Frig am I sore today ha
Adam

Postby cory » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Nice to see some new people pitched in with all the regulars. :) Thank you everyone.
cory

Postby Greg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Well it appears as though our work is already paying dividends. Stacey and I were at Cochrane Lane today and despite the moisture we've had in the last week the trail was noticeably dry. The mud behind the water bars has turned back into firm soil. Nice work everybody!
Greg

Postby Adam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 am

Greg wrote:Well it appears as though our work is already paying dividends. Stacey and I were at Cochrane Lane today and despite the moisture we've had in the last week the trail was noticeably dry. The mud behind the water bars has turned back into firm soil. Nice work everybody!

great news!
Adam

Postby Greg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Here's a cool video of a similar effort in Patagonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZn0ts9 ... 8A&index=5
Greg

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:25 pm

so how is the trail looking so far this spring? has there been much melt off or rain to test our work from the fall?
Adam

Postby Dom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm

I was there today. The trail is unusually dry for this time of year. Our french drains are working very well! :mrgreen:
Dom

Postby aaronhart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 am

im willing to help in the next trail building day and camping out for the night. sounds great and willing to help in carpentry skills and abundant amount of tools and supplies.
Grab your gear and head on out!!! "warren miller"
aaronhart

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah the water bars are working well. I think the one furthest up near the sign in box is the most impressive :) and it seems to be working really well. Saturday was the first time I was there since November and I noticed a lot of trees that have come down on the trail over the winter. It would be nice to get these removed soon.
Greg

Route cleaning/trail maintenance

Postby Caldsy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm heading up saturday afternoon for the Rock School camping (volunteering Sunday) and could bring my chainsaw and could take a walk up the trail saturday afternoon. Were there enough trees to warrant me bringing my jerry can of gas with me...or just filling it up at the car?
Caldsy

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Caldsy wrote:I'm heading up saturday afternoon for the Rock School camping (volunteering Sunday) and could bring my chainsaw and could take a walk up the trail saturday afternoon. Were there enough trees to warrant me bringing my jerry can of gas with me...or just filling it up at the car?

One tank should do it....no jerry can required.
Greg

Postby Caldsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 am

Thanks!
Caldsy

Postby theriault » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am

Greg wrote:
Caldsy wrote:I'm heading up saturday afternoon for the Rock School camping (volunteering Sunday) and could bring my chainsaw and could take a walk up the trail saturday afternoon. Were there enough trees to warrant me bringing my jerry can of gas with me...or just filling it up at the car?

One tank should do it....no jerry can required.

.... more chainsaw at CL....
Marty
theriault

Postby Caldsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Marty, what would you suggest to remove those trees on the trail? I haven't been up to CL this spring, so I don't know what size of trees that need to be removed from the trail.

I'm not a fan of hacking trees for no reason... FYI
Caldsy

Postby *Chris* » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Dan, If they are speaking about the tree that's down as you get near to Pyramid... that's small enough to clear with a hand tool like a buck-saw. If they are speaking about cleaning up the slash at Simpson... I think a chainsaw would be worth lugging.
*Chris*

PreviousNext

Return to New Brunswick