Route cleaning/trail maintenance

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: Route cleaning/trail maintenance

Postby theriault » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 am

We can use my truck no prob! plus I can get an unlimited supply of shovels, rakes, bow saws, axes, picks, sledge hammer, machete and probably stuff I'm forgetting lol I also have 4-5 2x6 x10 that I can donate.
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks for spearheading the logistics Adam.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Shawn B » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 pm

I have a chain saw that I'll bring as well. How many cedar logs and what lengths do you think we need? We can always thin the forest up there to get some logs as well. I'll prob help out in the L shape area as I want to scrub SPRINGFIELD as well.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby theriault » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Exfoliated needs a lot of loving, most routes could get a good scrubbing and we could finish cleaning the "zip line mess" that some one else did not finish at the base of the cliff.
Marty
theriault

Postby STeveA » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 am

Can't make Saturday as that is my annual Guy Fawkes night and i will be busy getting the beach / bonfire ready. May be able to make it Sunday though. I will bring a chainsaw.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby cory » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:09 pm

My participation this fall is unlikely, but possible.
cory

Postby Greg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:27 pm

I realize that we now have a growing list of projects that need attention but here’s one that could be a fairly high priority. The section of trail between the sign in box (below the stairs) and the big stand of white birch is very susceptible to flooding. I think it would be a good idea to divert the water off to the side rather than have it follow the path of least resistance which just happens to be the trail. Last Sunday (and after any big rain for that matter) this section was like a river. I think if we tackle this sooner than later we will be better off. It will take some pick and shovel work and and a bunch of 4x4’s placed at an angle to divert the water away from the trail. I would be willing to work on this one but would probably need some help.
Greg

Postby theriault » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Greg wrote:I realize that we now have a growing list of projects that need attention but here’s one that could be a fairly high priority. The section of trail between the sign in box (below the stairs) and the big stand of white birch is very susceptible to flooding. I think it would be a good idea to divert the water off to the side rather than have it follow the path of least resistance which just happens to be the trail. Last Sunday (and after any big rain for that matter) this section was like a river. I think if we tackle this sooner than later we will be better off. It will take some pick and shovel work and and a bunch of 4x4’s placed at an angle to divert the water away from the trail. I would be willing to work on this one but would probably need some help.

+1
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Greg, You got my help. I'll work on lower-dawn next year.
Dom

Postby Adam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:02 am

if we have the manpower we can do all these projects. what Greg mentioned definitely needs work, but isn't going to take long. there is a water bar across the trail that is just in the wrong spot. a couple shovels and some time to move that bar down a bit so it diverts water to the left (while hiking up) will resolve this I believe.

i'm thinking for a plan of attack... depending on man power, 3-4 people per group. one group start on water bar on trail, another move to the stairs below sign in. spend an hour fixing up these spots. then one group move to lower dawn wall and the other to the trail between cave->waterfall... spend the rest of the day working on these areas as they're going to be more time intensive.

i'd say we should forget about route cleaning this day and focus on the maintenance projects.
Adam

Postby Caldsy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm working this Saturday but could come out on Sunday and help. I'll bring a chainsaw, spade shovel, and Fiscar tree pruner. I don't think I have any wood but I'll check.
Caldsy

Postby Adam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:21 pm

After taking a look at what people had in mind for the lower trail, it might take longer than I was expecting. We may want to focus on the lower trail first before attempting anything at lower dawn wall.

that being said, not really sure what people had in mind for a structure there. i wonder whether we should just drop a log up there, make it solid and stationary, and chunk steps out of it. something akin to this. a lot less labour intensive than hauling buckets of soil around. granted it might take a decent sized tree to do this. but also means not lugging wood all the way up there, just the chain saw and fuel. would prob want a couple pulleys to get the log into position.

thoughts?
Adam

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Adam wrote:that being said, not really sure what people had in mind for a structure there. i wonder whether we should just drop a log up there, make it solid and stationary, and chunk steps out of it. something akin to this. a lot less labour intensive than hauling buckets of soil around. granted it might take a decent sized tree to do this. but also means not lugging wood all the way up there, just the chain saw and fuel. would prob want a couple pulleys to get the log into position.

This is for lower dawn right?
Dom

Postby Adam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:52 pm

Dom wrote:
Adam wrote:that being said, not really sure what people had in mind for a structure there. i wonder whether we should just drop a log up there, make it solid and stationary, and chunk steps out of it. something akin to this. a lot less labour intensive than hauling buckets of soil around. granted it might take a decent sized tree to do this. but also means not lugging wood all the way up there, just the chain saw and fuel. would prob want a couple pulleys to get the log into position.

This is for lower dawn right?

correct.
Adam

Postby cory » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Might something like this be a good idea? (Without the railing, obviously.) They seem to be holding up (pun fully intended) fairly well on the Fundy Trail.
http://www.waterfall-picture-guide.com/ ... stairs.jpg
It needs smaller wood pieces, requires less excavation, contours to the slope, could use old ropes, easy to replace...
cory

Postby Adam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 am

cory wrote:Might something like this be a good idea? (Without the railing, obviously.) They seem to be holding up (pun fully intended) fairly well on the Fundy Trail.
http://www.waterfall-picture-guide.com/ ... stairs.jpg
It needs smaller wood pieces, requires less excavation, contours to the slope, could use old ropes, easy to replace...

i actually did think about a very similar design the other night. however the wood pieces weren't inset in my design. however, i think that there just isn't enough soil left on that slope to make it work, or for it to last.
Adam

Postby Dom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm

That might work but we should focus on the trail from the birch trees to the sign in box IMO.

What time do you guys want to meet Saturday morning? 10AM at the trailhead?
Dom

Postby theriault » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Dom wrote: Saturday morning? 10AM at the trailhead?

Sounds good to me
Marty
theriault

Postby Adam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:31 pm

10am sounds good.

so to confirm...

Greg/Shawn, are you guys bringing your cedar logs?
Marty, can you swing by Friday to grab some pressure treated from me and Norfolk and Dom? Liam also said he has some but I dunno where he lives :)
Adam

Postby theriault » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 am

It would prob be better off for me to pick up the wood today, I'm probably heading to town this evening... Norfolk/Liam if you see this, PM me you address and cel num and we will make it happen
Marty
theriault

Postby *Chris* » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:28 am

PM sent Marty.

10:00 is good. Marty... if you can get your hands on a pick-mattock or two that would be an ideal tool for this type of work. Cheers.
*Chris*

Postby theriault » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:08 am

I will bring...

2x buck saws
5x shovels
2x axes
5x picks
2x rakes
2x machetes
1x 10pound sledge hammer

should I up any of these numbres?
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 am

If someone has some kind of pry bar, bring it. We may need it to remove large rocks.
Dom

Postby Shawn B » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:46 am

I have some cut. I have to lug them up from lower down on my property though. I've been too sick to do that since I got back from RR. So I may be arriving later than 10 since I'll have to bring them up first. Also if its raining I won't be out. Last thing I need is a day in the woods in the rain.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby theriault » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 am

Dom wrote:If someone has some kind of pry bar, bring it. We may need it to remove large rocks.

I have a big one, I'll bring it
Marty
theriault

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 am

I should be there by 10 am as well. I will bring as many cedar logs as I can and my chainsaw. I also have a 5 foot pry bar and will bring it in case we need an extra.
Greg

Postby Adam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 am

Awesome! Things are coming together here!

That's probably good for tools.

Weather is not looking that bad at the moment. Chance of showers right now but I'm prepared to work thru a little rain. I am betting we don't see much.

Marty, I have a little wood too. Gonna be heading to gagetown gym later tho - what time you coming into town?
Adam

Postby cory » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I recommend some 5 gallon pails for hauling dirt and rocks.

Adam wrote:however, i think that there just isn't enough soil left on that slope to make it work, or for it to last.

I think the whole point of those things is they trap the gravel and organics to stabilize the slope and develop soil. Bolt the endpoints directly to the bedrock/cliff.
cory

Postby Dom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Adam wrote:Weather is not looking that bad at the moment. Chance of showers right now but I'm prepared to work thru a little rain. I am betting we don't see much

Looks like no rain for Saturday. and +14. Would be a great climbing day except everything is soaked and seeping in Welsford. Great time to work on the trails while we have mini-streams going through most of them! (I was in Welsford this morning).

BTW anyone that dares to show up at CL to climb Saturday will be handed a mattock and will be receiving direct orders from Marty. :wink:
Dom

Postby cory » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Adam wrote:Marty, I have a little wood too.
:lol:
cory

PreviousNext

Return to New Brunswick