L-Shape got a Brazilian!

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

L-Shape got a Brazilian!

Postby Dom » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:00 am

Wow, The Boulevard got a Brazilian. I can only assume this is the work of Greg H. Good Job! Even the 10 ft to get on the Waterwalk ledge has been scrubbed. This will be a really good moderate climb at L-Shape.

Also, We got on Friction addiction yesterday. Cool line with bomber gear. I climbed Mantle piece as well the other day and this is another route that has been resurrected. Good job Shawn!
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: L-Shape got a Brazilian!

Postby Adam » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:11 pm

yah friction addiction is a great addition! nice crack!
Adam

Postby Greg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 am

Dom wrote:Wow, The Boulevard got a Brazilian. I can only assume this is the work of Greg H. Good Job! Even the 10 ft to get on the Waterwalk ledge has been scrubbed. This will be a really good moderate climb at L-Shape.

I was surprised at how easy it was to clean it, probably owing to the dry summer we had. The second pitch could use some more scrubbing but the first should be in good shape. There are actually four different lines that will get you on top of the Waterwalk ledge now. I would suggest 5.7 for anyone looking for a more accurate present day grade for The Boulevard. I know Mike and Pierre climbed it on Sunday and found it to be in that range.

By the way...with permission from the fa I plan on moving the Astroboy Direct rap station up about 10 feet to the nice comfy ledge. This would be a much better location for this anchor. The anchor will serve at least 3 different routes.
Greg

Postby Shawn B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 am

Any consensus on friction addiction grade? Much steeper when on it than it looks from the ground.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Dom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 am

Shawn B wrote:Any consensus on friction addiction grade? Much steeper when on it than it looks from the ground.

It's a little harder than Waterwalk but it's easier than Trundling by moonlight...So I'd say it's either a hard 5.8 or a soft 5.9.
Dom

Postby Shawn B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 am

So 8+??? :D Or how 'bout 9-???

I found friction addiction a bit harder on the FA than trundling. The bolt will hold a fall. :) I'll use the 28 degree temp and direct sun as my excuse rather than my poor climbing ability. Was still a bit dirty too but I didn't think it would go at an 8 even once thoroughly cleaned. Low humidity prob makes it a bit stickier too.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Dom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:59 am

Shawn B wrote:So 8+??? :D Or how 'bout 9-???

I found friction addiction a bit harder on the FA than trundling. The bolt will hold a fall. :) I'll use the 28 degree temp and direct sun as my excuse rather than my poor climbing ability. Was still a bit dirty too but I didn't think it would go at an 8 even once thoroughly cleaned. Low humidity prob makes it a bit stickier too.

Yep weather will make a difference. Adam and I climbed it the other night when it was super windy and probably +10 outside. Friction was great on it. If you feel that it's harder or comparable to Trundling, then I'd leave it at 5.9 but it's your call. I'd also say it's more of a 9 than an 8.
Dom

Postby Dom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Also, Shawn how long would you say this route is ? I estimated 90' from the very bottom to the Astroboy anchor when I put the route in the new routes log..
Dom

Postby Adam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 am

I'd say no harder than 5.8.
Adam

Postby Greg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Greg wrote:
Dom wrote:Wow, The Boulevard got a Brazilian. I can only assume this is the work of Greg H. Good Job! Even the 10 ft to get on the Waterwalk ledge has been scrubbed. This will be a really good moderate climb at L-Shape.

I was surprised at how easy it was to clean it, probably owing to the dry summer we had. The second pitch could use some more scrubbing but the first should be in good shape. There are actually four different lines that will get you on top of the Waterwalk ledge now. I would suggest 5.7 for anyone looking for a more accurate present day grade for The Boulevard. I know Mike and Pierre climbed it on Sunday and found it to be in that range.

By the way...with permission from the fa I plan on moving the Astroboy Direct rap station up about 10 feet to the nice comfy ledge. This would be a much better location for this anchor. The anchor will serve at least 3 different routes.

I managed to get this rap station moved up yesterday.
Greg

Return to New Brunswick