Unknown bolted route on Melvin Beach

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Unknown bolted route on Melvin Beach

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm

On Saturday I took advantage of favorable traveling conditions and scouted some ice routes along the Fundy Trail. I was able to bicycle along the skidoo trails reasonably well and got as far as Melvin Beach. Unfortunately I didn't find any ice lines significant enough to justify the 8km trip in.

But I was surprised to find a very old bolted rock route on a nice face at the far eastern end of Melvin Beach. I could see 5 bolts and 2 draws. The biners are all oval, and the slings are white with UV rot. It doesn't seem like the route was finished - I couldn't see any more bolts or anchors. I think these bolts were placed in the '80s or '90s, possibly before the creation of the Fundy Trail.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this route? It's steep and probably in the 5.10-11 range. It might be a sweet line if completed; certainly in an awesome setting. I took photos of it but e-demons prevented me from uploading them on this site. I'll keep trying but suggestions would be appreciated.
Joe

Re: Unknown bolted route on Melvin Beach

Postby Dom » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Wow, you definitely sparked my interest. How is the rock quality at Melvin Beach? Like you said, this would be in an awesome setting.

If you have a picasa site or have the picture posted elsewhere on the web, here is how I proceed to upload pics to this site.
I upload the picture to a picasa web album, then I copy the link. On CEC I press the IMG tab and then paste the adress. Voilà!
If you want me to post the picture(s), you can send it (them) to me @ dominic.caron4 at gmail dot com
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: Unknown bolted route on Melvin Beach

Postby Dom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 am

Here are the pictures taken by Joe.

So no one knows who would've bolted this line eh?

So much rock, so little time
Dom

Return to New Brunswick