cochrane lane 2.0??

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

cochrane lane 2.0??

Postby coryhal » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:28 pm

when i flew out of saint john last fall the plane seemed to have taken a more northern route than normal. and i noticed a cliff, a big cliff, like tonnes of rock, and looked to be a few pitches high. it was a bit hard to pin point where it was but it looked to be northeast of that hill soulth of welsford, east of highway7, the one with all the cell towers on it? thought it was called mt champlain but probably wrong there. anyways, if anyone has time for exploration its somthing to look for. probably wont be m..., have heard that some nb climbers have been out around there recently...
coryhal

Re: cochrane lane 2.0??

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 pm

I was in there 2 years ago. There is lots of rock but not as much as you might think. Its quite a slog to get in there. Its like the size of joes garage, a bit taller in places and not quite as steep. There was a lack of climable features thats why I didn't go back. It did look quite clean. Some ok bouldering on detached boulders at the base. You can see the entire cliff if you climb the small fire tower on mt champlain, take binoculars. The walk is very beautiful but you could get lost if your not used to navigating. It is DND ground. let me know if you need directions, I think I found the easiest way in. I would go back if someone was interested. Bad spot to get hurt.
jeremy

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:58 am

From the top of Sunnyside looking east you can see a long band of cliff off in the distance (probably close to Champlain Mtn.) Is this the same one.
Greg

Postby jeremy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:36 pm

YES, YOU CAN ALSO SEE IT DRIVING DOWN THE LAST LONG HILL ON #7, COMING FROM FREDERICTON, BEFORE THE SUNNYSIDE PARKINGLOT. I ALSO CHECKED IT FOR ICE, NOTHING
jeremy

Postby *Chris* » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Greg wrote:From the top of Sunnyside looking east you can see a long band of cliff off in the distance (probably close to Champlain Mtn.) Is this the same one.
It's a mirage Greg. Rather than the oasis in the dessert we're all thirsty climbers dying for some new unclaimed rock.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm

if it is where i think it is.... definitely worth developing, but it is a long hike and will take a lot of work. hopefully somebody is up for it!
Adam

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am

Given its remote location and the fact that is deep inside CFB Gage property it might be wise just to leave this one be :wink:
Greg

Postby Adam » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 pm

not really 'deep' in CFB Gagetown... actually more on the edge of it. just kind of out of the way (prob 2-2.5 hours to get there from freddy including hike).
Adam

Return to New Brunswick