Anything for 50 Bucks 5.6 R

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Anything for 50 Bucks 5.6 R

Postby Dom » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

232. ANYTHING FOR 50 BUCKS 5.6 R 75’/N/R(2)
TR FA: K.Allard
LD FFA: K.Allard
From the lower end of the left leaning ramp, climb up and right, moving over a ledge and over to a left leaning crack. At this point this route crosses It’s A Way of Life. Continue straight up a vertical crack system up the vertical face behind a dying tree.

Has anyone climbed this route? From the description it's straightforward where the route ends, but does anyone know where it starts? Do you just climb the narrow slab between Snakepeel and It's a Way of Life?

So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: Anything for 50 Bucks 5.6 R

Postby cory » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Karel is who you need to confirm with. If you don't have him on FB, let me know.

My understanding was to start about 10' up and 2' right of the snakepeel start. Basically, if you were to climb up the little chimney using the original trail along the base of the cliff (rather than staying low and around the detattached block and then up as the current trail goes) as soon as you reach the dirt/vegetated ledge you'd be at the base of $50.
Now, a more logical approach/description, would be to walk left as far as possible from the pizza/IAWOL ledge. Just before falling down to the base of snakepeel, climb straight up.
cory

Postby Dom » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 am

Sounds good.

I've got Karel's email address but thought I'd ask if someone has climbed it recently. (last 10 years)
Sometimes the FA has only climbed it the one time, 20+ years ago so they don't remember much from the route.
Dom

Postby Stacey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am

When I climbed it - I thought we started in front left of the AWOL tree in the picture, and then straight up from there?
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am

My understanding is you start at same height as AWOL and just left of it betweek Snakepeel and AWOL. The "R" comes from the slab portion at the start. The top portion can be protected in the vertical crack.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Dom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:53 am

Instead of climbing two of the best moderate cracks in Welsford, climb the unprotected slab between the two. Sounds like a classic :mrgreen: ...thanks!
Dom

Return to New Brunswick