Adventure Training Day

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Adventure Training Day

Postby Shawn B » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:53 pm

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I will be supplying a map for anyone interested in participating in an adventure training day. Details below. I know Jamie Simpson was interested so if someone could let him know info is here it would be appreciated.

Also...looking for anyone with experience who might be interested in volunteering to man a ropes section for the race. My contact info is below if interested in particupating or volunteering.

1st Unofficial DIRT Adventure Training Day

Saturday Aug13/05

Place: Out back o’ Sussex, New Brunswick

Two race durations:

18 Hour Race -
Start 12:01am Saturday Aug13/05
Race Cutoff 6pm Saturday Aug13/05
Map Distribution 9pm Friday Aug12/05

2 Race Options - Challenger & Elite
Race designed for anyone looking to experience a longer duration, night travel and more suffering. Elite option will have additional checkpoints to visit at various parts of the course.

Disciplines: Trekking; orienteering; biking (Possible Ropes Section)

8-10 Hour Race -
Start 8am Saturday Aug13/05
Race Cutoff 6pm Saturday Aug13/05
Map Distribution 6am Saturday Aug13/05

Race designed as an introduction to adventure racing or for those not desiring night travel. Assistance in route choices and navigation available at your request.

Disciplines: Trekking; biking

Groups must travel in a minimum of 3 for safety due to remoteness of where you will be travelling and lack of cell phone coverage.

Race fee: $0 (If you would like to make a small donation/team to offset costs
of maps, controls, etc. it would be appreciated)

Support crew: Not required

Sorry no paddling for this race. Logistics too difficult due to race location and the absence of a support crew.

What to expect. Lots of biking. No pavement. Trekking over rough terrain. TONS of hills. Spectacular scenery. Very physically challenging terrain. Moderate navigational challenges.

For more information, suggested gear list, etc. please email me at "bethuner@nbnet.nb.ca" with “Adventure Race” in the subject line or call me at 506-832-3401 work or 506-832-4057 home. I will be away until Aug2nd so I won’t reply before then. I need to know who is coming as well so I know how many maps to copy. Also if you are flying solo and want to be joined up, let me know and I’ll try to hook you up. Also please note this is not an OFFICIAL race. Thus, this is the same as if you were doing this on your own. I will be around to assist you in any way I can, but you are solely responsible for your safety, route choices, what gear you choose to carry, etc. All I am doing is supplying a map with some control points for you to find. Again, I will be always around to assist you however I can but I am in no way responsible for your choices. Sorry for the disclaimer but I gotta do it.

Shawn Bethune
Shawn B

Great Idea

Postby john » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:36 pm

Thats an awsome idea, I am at a wedding that weekend but if you need help prior let me know. I will pass the idea around up here.

john
john

Return to New Brunswick