Rap Station removed

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Rap Station removed

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm

I installed a rappell station at the top of the second pitch of Waterwalk last year or the year before and I noticed on the weekend that it was gone. It was a piece of gold colored 8 mm static line with a mallion through it. This was a really convenient rap station that provided a great exit for a bunch of routes in that area (especially DDT, Rythmm Sticks, etc). Not sure why it was taken. Can someone really be that deparate for a 15 foot piece of cord and a mallion? :shock: I will be reinstalling it the next time I am up there. Hopefully the next one will last a little longer.
Greg

Re: Rap Station removed

Postby theriault » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

I took a RED cordelette and a mallion off of a big dead rotten tree 2 weeks ago, the tree is half way fallen over with most of its root system exposed, I gave it a kick and the whole thing moved..... pretty dangerous anchor....even tho its not "gold static line" I will leave it in the sing in box. there are other good "live" tree's up there that would require a longer cordelette plus there's already 2 bolted rap stations pretty close by.
Marty
theriault

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

theriault wrote:I took a RED cordelette and a mallion off of a big dead rotten tree 2 weeks ago, the tree is half way fallen over with most of its root system exposed, I gave it a kick and the whole thing moved..... pretty dangerous anchor....even tho its not "gold static line" I will leave it in the sing in box. there are other good "live" tree's up there that would require a longer cordelette plus there's already 2 bolted rap stations pretty close by.

Not sure what or where you are talking about but what you took obviously wasn't mine - different color, dead tree. If you knew the route you would likely know the tree I used and realize that it is very much alive :wink: . As I mentioned before this rap station was very conveniently located directly above Waterwalk and is warranted.
Greg

Postby theriault » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 am

The one I took off was on top of The Boulevard, at the base of the Totem, (DDT)
Marty
theriault

Postby Stacey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:11 am

Greg wrote: As I mentioned before this rap station was very conveniently located directly above Waterwalk and is warranted.

the *second* pitch of WW right? (not the ledge where astroboy starts), etc.?
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby theriault » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 am

Stacey wrote: the *second* pitch of WW right? (not the ledge where astroboy starts), etc.?

Stacey, have you ever seen a Big dead rotten tree at the pitch one anchor of waterwalk?? :mrgreen:
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am

1. Pretty sure Greg and Marty are referring to the same anchor. The cordelette was blue/purple & red.
2. Stacey asked a legitimate question because pitch 1 used to end at the pine tree 25ft above the bolted anchor we now use. She wrote Astroboy not Astroboy direct Marty.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby theriault » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 am

really, how long ago was that, i don't remember that tree at all.... In Stacey's defense, I have a bad memory lol :lol:
Marty
theriault

Postby Greg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

Stacey wrote:
Greg wrote: As I mentioned before this rap station was very conveniently located directly above Waterwalk and is warranted.

the *second* pitch of WW right? (not the ledge where astroboy starts), etc.?

Yes that is right.
Greg

Postby Greg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am

theriault wrote:
Stacey wrote: the *second* pitch of WW right? (not the ledge where astroboy starts), etc.?

Stacey, have you ever seen a Big dead rotten tree at the pitch one anchor of waterwalk?? :mrgreen:

Yup I am pretty sure she watched me remove it about 4 years ago :wink: . Take a look at your guide book Marty if you want to see where it used to be.
Greg

Postby Greg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Dom wrote:1. Pretty sure Greg and Marty are referring to the same anchor. The cordelette was blue/purple & red.
2. Stacey asked a legitimate question because pitch 1 used to end at the pine tree 25ft above the bolted anchor we now use. She wrote Astroboy not Astroboy direct Marty.

Yeah Dom that is the one and that was the cord I used as well. I was had the color wrong. I have used both that color and the gold colored cord to replace or add rap stations to several climbs at Cochrane Lane.

Marty: I think you should leave all rapell stations in place until you can recognize the difference between a live tree and a dead one :lol: . Let me know when you have returned it to the sign in box.
Greg

Postby theriault » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Greg wrote:

Marty: I think you should leave all rapell stations in place until you can recognize the difference between a live tree and a dead one :lol: . Let me know when you have returned it to the sign in box.

i don't feel like getting into a pissing contest, but to my eyes this rappel station was very dangerous thats why i took it off, plus, like i said earlier, there is 2 very nice bolted anchors close by.... in the future I will keep taking down tat anchors that i think could be dangerous and I strongly encourage others to do the same ( for the record this is the first I have ever taken down and hopefully the last )
Marty
theriault

Return to New Brunswick