IMPORTANT: Welsford Access

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

IMPORTANT: Welsford Access

Postby cory » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 am

Yesterday, at Cochrane Lane, we had a pleasant exchange with CFB Gagetown Range Patrol. They are now enforcing the access regulations, which they admit they had been neglecting. To facilitate this they have streamlined the process and it is very simple:
1) Upon arrival on CFB Gagetown/DND land, call 506-422-3121
2) If that line is busy, or they are on the radio and do not answer, call 422-2000
3) They will ask your name, cell #, if you're a UNBR&I member
4) At the end of the day when you leave remember to call again. Otherwise they will send a search party.

Pretty darn simple, and a great price to pay to preserve our access and have search and rescue personnel on standby! This seems to be the overall goal. Keep it open to climbing and keep everyone safe. The meeting was cordial and friendly, and not at all threatening.

Not only are they increasing road and foot patrols, he mentioned something about the helicopters. I got the impression that the pilots will also be reporting to range patrol on any potential concerns if they happen to be flying in the area.

Please follow the simple regulations to maintain our access, and to keep yourself from facing trespassing charges
cory

Re: IMPORTANT: Welsford Access

Postby Dom » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am

Hey Cory,
Is this procedure for UNB R & I members only or for everyone?
Was this raised during the discussion?
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby aaronhart » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:25 pm

thanks for the information. i will spread the news to other climbers that might not see this.
Grab your gear and head on out!!! "warren miller"
aaronhart

Postby austinconrad » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Sounds more than reasonable :)
austinconrad

Postby cory » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Dom: Everyone. (see point #3) Since this is application of the long-standing agreement, non-members likely have to sign in at Camp Petersville. Inconvenient, perhaps, but still worthwhile.

We had a pleasant chat of 5 minutes or so. Basically he said that they like having us there for climbing and want to keep it safe for our climbing use in perpetuity. I didn't get into hypotheticals for fear it would sound like I was trying to find ways to circumvent the very reasonable regulations. As I said, he was very friendly and it was a good conversation. He did mention that some people he'd met at the cliff that morning we're non-members, but he did recognize them from previous visits and so just asked them to place the call and wished them a good day.
cory

Postby SMW » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 am

Thanks for sharing this important information Cory.

Climbers who are not UNB Rock&Ice Club must obtain a day pass. Call the same number, 422-3121, or, 422-2000. You can arrange to pick up the pass at Camp Petersville or at the base in Oromocto.

Remember to call in and call out.
SMW

Return to New Brunswick