Cochrane Lane cliffs CLOSED today for Maintenance

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: Cochrane Lane cliffs CLOSED today for Maintenance

Postby Adam » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

anybody wanna fight?
Adam

Postby theriault » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:08 am

Adam wrote:anybody wanna fight?

MonkeyBars after school!!!! Your on! Bahahahhaha ;)
Marty
theriault

Postby cory » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:34 am

For some reason people tend to confide in me. Others ask me to speak on their behalf. That is why I chose to use the term "they" rather than "I". Only a few of those bullet points actually reflect my position on ascent NB (and yes I have concerns) and on the trail maintenance day. Furthermore, I did not attempt to hijack the thread into an attack on ascentNB. This was already part of the discussion and had not been "put to rest". I was asked to disseminate information, and felt it was appropriate to do so. I understand that by being the messenger I will be seen as rude, offensive, and a dick. I accept that. Can you accept views that oppose your own?
cory

Postby Adam » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 pm

cory wrote:For some reason people tend to confide in me. Others ask me to speak on their behalf. That is why I chose to use the term "they" rather than "I". Only a few of those bullet points actually reflect my position on ascent NB (and yes I have concerns) and on the trail maintenance day. Furthermore, I did not attempt to hijack the thread into an attack on ascentNB. This was already part of the discussion and had not been "put to rest". I was asked to disseminate information, and felt it was appropriate to do so. I understand that by being the messenger I will be seen as rude, offensive, and a dick. I accept that. Can you accept views that oppose your own?

Yes, we can listen to and accept that people may have views that oppose our own, Cory. Why you think would suggest we cannot is beyond me. What did we do that has caused you to see us as self righteous and hard headed???

As for speaking for other people... Well, they need to speak for themselves. People telling you how they feel about something doesn't mean you get to represent them in a public venue. This isn't some dictatorship where someone will be punished for voicing their concerns so I see no reason why they should feel that those of us organizing Ascent NB are unapproachable and cause someone to resort to needing you to speak for them. Please feel free to explain why they cannot be grownups and speak for themselves.

I would add that if you or anyone else is unhappy with what is going on, the best way to change anything is from the inside, and that memberships to Ascent NB are free for now, so what reason do you have for not getting involved in something that is important enough to you to complain about in a public forum? If you have a beef with Ascent NB, please address the exec directly so we can have a genuine discussion instead of trying to here on an internet forum.
Adam

Postby john » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 pm

I have been away for 6 weeks and missed this whole thing!

This type of attitude and approach is unacceptable by any group. It was very clearly posted as an Ascent NB event and the voice of one of the purported leaders. I have stayed quiet about this publically until now, but want to clarify one thing only.

Rock and Ice Club Members are NOT automatically Ascent NB members. No current members agreed to this with any formal process, it was not voted on by members and there are so many potential issues on the university side of things I cannot imagine it ever happening, even if everyone wanted it.

An ad hoc group of 20 people does not reflect the community as a whole, or even close to the majority, let alone the views of the university or the Rock and Ice Club.

John Bowles
john

Postby *Chris* » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am

john wrote:Rock and Ice Club Members are NOT automatically Ascent NB members. No current members agreed to this with any formal process, it was not voted on by members and there are so many potential issues on the university side of things I cannot imagine it ever happening, even if everyone wanted it.

An ad hoc group of 20 people does not reflect the community as a whole, or even close to the majority, let alone the views of the university or the Rock and Ice Club.

John Bowles
John, you are absolutely correct on all points above. Although the club has indicated that it supports the efforts to launch ANB it does not automatically represent the R&I membership. In the near future, this new organization will be making an attempt to reach out to club members, and offering them a chance to become involved. It's absolutely true that ANB will have to demonstrate some value to individuals in order to have a successful membership drive.
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 pm

john wrote:Rock and Ice Club Members are NOT automatically Ascent NB members. No current members agreed to this with any formal process, it was not voted on by members and there are so many potential issues on the university side of things I cannot imagine it ever happening, even if everyone wanted it.

You're right. I misspoke when I said this. There was definitely discussion of this at the information gathering meetings over the past year, but nothing was done to put it into action for this school year, and so no, UNB members are not automatically ANB members.

john wrote:An ad hoc group of 20 people does not reflect the community as a whole, or even close to the majority, let alone the views of the university or the Rock and Ice Club.

It may not represent the community as a whole right now, but it strives to in the future. However, I take offense to you saying that it was absolutely an 'ad hoc' group. It most certainly was not 'ad hoc'. Everything was done to include as many people in the process as possible. Meetings were held in Freddy, Moncton, and SJ, to maximize attendance, and the AGM was announced in several places well ahead of time.

If you do not agree with the group's reason for existence, I'd suggest you approach the group directly. I don't recall you coming to any of the meetings over the past year, and unfortunately the result for those who did not attend seems to be misgivings that ANB doesn't represent them and worrying that ANB is going to make life harder/more expensive somehow for climbing. This is absolutely NOT the mandate that was embodied in the ANB constitution. On the contrary, ANB exists to preserve access primarily.

John, I hope you and anyone else with concerns will take the time to approach the exec to deal with any misunderstandings or misgivings. Thanks for clarifying the membership thing tho. My bad.

Cheers
Adam

Postby theriault » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:21 pm

not to re-open the debate... but no one seems to be freaking out here ...

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/tempor ... /110480285
Marty
theriault

Postby Shawn B » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:48 pm

theriault wrote:not to re-open the debate... but no one seems to be freaking out here ...

Seems to me you are re-opening it. This horse died a couple years ago Marty. And you can't compare the two situations at all. Cathedral is in a State Park and the park authorities closed it to climbing to do their maintenance. As you have seen recently when CFB Gagetown closes the cliffs there is not an issue and most respectful individuals honour the closure without complaining (it is their right as the land owner). However if an individual attempts to close access to something which they do not have the right to do so (as was this case) they receive their rightful backlash. Now let Trigger RIP.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Leehammer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:20 am

Hey all,

Long time no see. We need to archive the classic threads like this one, the sticky fingers one, the one about the someone's dog leash being stolen etc etc. Maybe put them into a book or something, they are just so good.

Climb on,
Liam
Leehammer

Postby Dom » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:41 am

Leehammer wrote:Hey all,

Long time no see. We need to archive the classic threads like this one, the sticky fingers one, the one about the someone's dog leash being stolen etc etc. Maybe put them into a book or something, they are just so good.

Climb on,
Liam

and the DDT thread.
Seems like some of the drama has been migrating to Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/ascentnb/?fref=ts
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby SamS » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:44 am

@Leehammer No point in archiving or really doing any maintenance to the current site, I'm revamping CEC in the next month or two to be in the same vain as http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/. There will still be discussion boards and a place for Marty to beat dead horses as he likes; but this forum will be locked (for history purposes, so you can still read everything that's ever been posted here) when we finish up and deploy the new site.
SamS

Postby Greg » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 am

Shawn B wrote:
theriault wrote:not to re-open the debate... but no one seems to be freaking out here ...

Seems to me you are re-opening it. This horse died a couple years ago Marty. And you can't compare the two situations at all. Cathedral is in a State Park and the park authorities closed it to climbing to do their maintenance. As you have seen recently when CFB Gagetown closes the cliffs there is not an issue and most respectful individuals honour the closure without complaining (it is their right as the land owner). However if an individual attempts to close access to something which they do not have the right to do so (as was this case) they receive their rightful backlash. Now let Trigger RIP.

Well said Shawn.
Greg

Previous

Return to New Brunswick