Walton Glen Canyon

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Walton Glen Canyon

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:47 am

Mike Delaney, Pierre Arsenault and I ventured in to Walton Glen Canyon for 3 days of climbing on some stellar ice. The Little Salmon River Road was clear so we drove all the way to the McCumber Brook access point. From where we parked the car it was a quick 2.5 k snowshoe to a camping location close to the canyon look out. We set up a base camp and climbed for the next three days. All together we climbed The Blue Wall, Alaska Flashback, Walton Glen Falls and Green Line. All of these climbs require a fairly significant approach through mostly thick brush. If there were established trails to these climbs we didn't find them ;) This was my third visit to this place in winter and certainly provided for the best ice conditions I have experienced thus far. The climbing in there is absolutely spectacular. The scenery is breathtaking and if you like some adventure WGC can serve it up in spades. Joe is right - Alaska Flashback is one of the best ice climbs in New Brunswick. It is definitely the nicest ice climb I have been on in NB. Most of the climbs don't see a lot of sun (Walton Glen Falls excluded) so I would say there is at least another week or two of climbing in there if the weather continues to produce below zero temps at night. Get in there and check it out if you can. There are lots of broke snowshoe trails now leading to all the above mentioned routes :)
Greg

Re: Walton Glen Canyon

Postby MaDelaney » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:04 am

I concur with Greg :) Definitely the highlight of my ice climbing 'career' to date!
On the off chance that anyone is heading into Alaska Flashback, I am pretty sure a tree monster snagged my hat :) it's a great tuque with the green stripe ... Fingers crossed ;-) if you do see it, grab it and PM me .... And yes - this is a desperate act!
MaDelaney

Return to New Brunswick