going climbing next week, some inputs on location

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: fire

Postby martha » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:30 pm

Andrew wrote:Cara,

I understand that fires aren't allowed in the trees near the field, but what about up on Exfoliated Campground area where there's a fire-pit? I'm not saying im gonna have a fire there, just wondering.

Andrew

it is in the guidebook that there are NO fires at the campsite or the field. and with the questions we have had with access this year It is not a good idea. It is NOT our property. We have access to hike and climb. that is all.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Logistics

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:31 am

At Welsford, how far is the camp site from the parking area? Trying to figure out what I am going to bring for food, and am just wondering if this is car camping, or if there is a long hike involved. I would love to bring a cooler wtih fresh stuff if possible!!!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby martha » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:28 am

the camping is about a 2 minute walk from your car. a cooler is not a problem.

:)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:26 am

Love that car camping. Imagine if you had to slog all your gear up to exfoliated every time to climb? I'd still do it but man, it'd be different.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:15 am

Matt Peck wrote:Love that car camping. Imagine if you had to slog all your gear up to exfoliated every time to climb? I'd still do it but man, it'd be different.

It sure would be different. there would be more whining on that trail then there already is...by everyone. Dang. that would be harsh.

martha

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:37 pm

So when we are actually driving to Welsford, this is the name of the town we are heading for??
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby jeremy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:04 pm

yes, drive to moncton then sussex then saint john then towards fredericton for 15 mins and your in the big town of welsford. This is the shortest route to welsford, but the quickest may be on the new highway from moncton to fredericton to welsford.

get a guide book

jeremy
jeremy

Postby martha » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:09 am

No, it is still quicker to go through sussex and saint john.

definately.

martha

Postby vbpad » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:41 am

definatly freddy to welsford 45mins saint john to welsford 15-20 mins
moncton to both 1.5 hrs (my driving)
vbpad

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:49 am

If you get to Welsford when the Irving isn't open to buy a guidebook go to the end of Cochrane Lane Road. You'll see signs on the fence for "no fires" "dogs on leash" etc. Park there and walk to the back of the field. Camp in the woods on the left just below the graveyard.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:50 am

follow the beaten down grass
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

fire and camping in welsford

Postby john » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:53 am

Just for the record:

Until the final arrangement is made, which is very close to completion, please check into Camp Pertersville prior to climbing and camping. Let your duration of use be known, some security gaurds will allow one pass for multiple days some will not, these are the final details we arecurrently completing, once they are completed final exact details will be posted. For now at worst, you may be asked to renew your pass in the morning. No fires in the field or upper campsite. Conclusion: climbing and camping permitted fires are not. For now get a day pass at Camp Pertersville on the Enniskillen road 10mins past Welsford, towards Fredericton.

John Bowles
john

Postby Shawn B » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:59 pm

I would guess it is actually quicker to get to Welsford from Moncton via Hwy#2 towards Fredericton. Obviously, don't go as far as Fredericton. Take the exit in Oromocto that follows Hwy7 towards Saint John. You will then be able to get a pass in Petersville on your way...rather than driving an extra half an hour return when coming from Saint John. Driving time from Moncton to Welsford via Saint John is probably closer to 2 hours. I'm not certain about Moncton to Oromocto 'cause I have never driven it. Oromocto to Welsford is probably 25-30 mins.
Shawn B

Previous

Return to New Brunswick